Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,220,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Just be sure that you go 50 mph. The federal cops are vigilant. If you think that's slow, well, just remember you can go 50 mph for a very long time! It all works out.
Back before all the newer 4-lanes were built and the National Speed Limit was still 55mph I'd have that argument with people all the time. Specifically, driving from Mathiston to Tupelo. They'd complain about how much slower the Trace was (five whole miles per hour!!). I'd say yeah, but you don't have to worry about all the traffic lights and 4-way stops and 25mph speed zones in every po-dunk town you have to go through driving state routes.

As for policing the Trace, I received one ticket for speeding on the Trace a little less than 20 years ago. Back then I remember seeing Rangers all the time, but also back then there was a Ranger living at Little Mountain. I don't travel it as much any more, but when I do I almost never see any Rangers. There isn't a station at Little Mountain anymore. I imagine they police it fairly heavily near the larger towns (Natchez, Jackson, Tupelo, and Nashville) where people use it as a commuting route, but not in the rural areas far from Ranger stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,744,396 times
We used to love the Trace. Back then, we had Volvos. Could set the cruise on 50, and get over 35 mpg! It's a beautiful roadway. And it was nice to go on the old trails, and know my Native American ancestors made them.

It's a beautiful road, and very restful to drive. Just be aware that the fedcops are out to get you. Even slow drivers like me get ticketed, when the speed limit suddenly changes. 3/4 of the tickets I've gotten IN MY WHOLE LIFE, I've gotten on the Trace. And I didn't use it that often.

As far as BIKING the trace goes, FAHGEDDABOUDIT!!!! Unless you're in a large group, you risk having bottles thrown at your head, minimum. There need to be dedicated bike paths. But frankly, with America going Third World, I'm not sure that lone bikers (or small groups, even) would be safe on those trails for long.

Oh, and a current caveat: A friend emailed me with a warning about taking the trace from Clinton to Ridgeland. Apparently, there is a detour, which funnels you right into the deadliest part of Jackson. It happened to them as they were returning home late at night. Definitely uncool.

But the good news is that the Trace goes all the way into Natchez...finally.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 63,552 times
I've taken the trace for over a year. I've yet to see one cop. Maybe I'm just lucky? I travel the speed limit. I like to take the trace to slow down and enjoy the drive. I have sirus radio and I crank it up and sing along. I also travel the part that has the detour....I've never seen anything even close to scary. Seriously! The closest danger I've seen in the year I've driven on the trace is deer darting out in front of you. I would hate to be going 50 mph and hit one. They come out more at dust and in the evening. I also have friends that use the bike trails in the Trace. Can't speak first hand on that. Something being thrown at you? That's a new one to me. Can someone post a link where thats been in the news. Sometimes, I'm the only car on the trace!!! If there is a crime wave on the TRace I haven't been able to locate the info.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,796,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthastar22 View Post
I've taken the trace for over a year. I've yet to see one cop. Maybe I'm just lucky? I travel the speed limit. I like to take the trace to slow down and enjoy the drive. I have sirus radio and I crank it up and sing along. I also travel the part that has the detour....I've never seen anything even close to scary. Seriously! The closest danger I've seen in the year I've driven on the trace is deer darting out in front of you. I would hate to be going 50 mph and hit one. They come out more at dust and in the evening. I also have friends that use the bike trails in the Trace. Can't speak first hand on that. Something being thrown at you? That's a new one to me. Can someone post a link where thats been in the news. Sometimes, I'm the only car on the trace!!! If there is a crime wave on the TRace I haven't been able to locate the info.
Deer herds is why I won't travel the Trace at night during fall/winter.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 63,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Deer herds is why I won't travel the Trace at night during fall/winter.

I'm with you on that one. Just got home from a Dollar Store in Clinton, and there are a lot of pine trees next to it in an empty field. There were deer frolicking and having a good ole time. And this Dollar Store is on Hwy 80 in Clinton close to Wal-Mart! I took some pics...but really.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,415,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Oh, and a current caveat: A friend emailed me with a warning about taking the trace from Clinton to Ridgeland. Apparently, there is a detour, which funnels you right into the deadliest part of Jackson. It happened to them as they were returning home late at night. Definitely uncool.
What's uncool is the poor advice you were given by your friend...

The detour is a stretch of US49 from the Trace to I220. If that's the "deadliest part of Jackson" then I'm Jefferson Davis!

Your idiot friend missed the detour and got lost. The well-marked detour route is safe.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 PM

159 posts, read 263,008 times
just one piece of advice about going if you do decide to go, look to see when they are doing burning, dont go when they are burning clear brush, it will ruin the trip, this is Mississippi you will see a load of our fav tree the Pine !!!!!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,451 times
Default Fall and other Questions - Natchez Trace

I am from England and have visited the US a number of times for work and holidays. On my next trip, later this year, I will be starting a holiday in Shreveport La. I have driven plenty of times while I have been in the US and this time would like to do a road-trip to Nashville and then spend three or four days driving the Natchez Trace before going off to Texas. Can anyone tell me, please, when fall colours are at their best along the Parkway? Also, I will probably want to visit some flea-markets on this trip. Any recommendations? Finally, does Natchez have any half-decent bars where I can have a couple of drinks and shoot the breeze with locals on my final night at the end of the Natchez Trace. Any advice gratefully received.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,101,703 times
Mississippi fall colors are best in November. Average daily high temperatures finally fall below 70 degrees about a week into November (November 7 roughly) depending on which part of the state you're in. Colors are going to be prettiest the further north you go, generally speaking. Up in Nashville fall colors arrive probably a couple of weeks earlier.

The most interesting places along or near the Trace are Nashville itself - and then in Mississippi I would veer over to Oxford and try to catch a football weekend at Ole Miss, which is a huge festival atmosphere. In the Square (Oxford town square) and the Grove (park-like center of Ole Miss campus) especially on a football weekend you will get a taste of Mississippi culture like none other.
Also near the Trace and worth a side trip is the city of Corinth, near the Tennessee border, which has some civil war battlefields and its residential areas actually have an impressive array of antebellum and turn of the century architecture. Nearby Pickwick Lake is also gorgeous and huge and that time of year would be amazing for sailing if that were somehow an option or you.

In the Jackson area, depending on your interests, there are plenty of very nice places to shop and go to restaurants. I would suggest the Rennaissance and the Township and Colony Park, both of which are immediately off the Trace along Highland Colony Parkway in Ridgeland. This will give you a taste of one of the more posh suburbs in Mississippi. Also in this area, the Trace has a trail running parallel for bikers and runners, going along the edge of the Barnett Reservoir for a good 15 miles which is quite beautiful. Just know that the Trace running from around Tupelo to Jackson is pretty and very pleasant especially in the fall with all the colors and the splendid weather, but the speed limit is only 50 miles per hour and there isn't much to see other than trees.

As far as scenery, personally I find the part of the Trace south between Jackson and Natchez to be the prettiest and most historic. I would suggest a side trip to Vicksburg to see the beautiful battlefields, the picturesque town (village) of Port Gibson, and of course Natchez, which while small and quiet and serene, absolutely has a great downtown with numerous New Orleans-style bars and restaurants.
That time of year Natchez might also be hosting the Natchez "Pilgrimage", which is held each fall and spring opening up dozens of their antebellum mansions for tours. You might also enjoy a side trip down to Woodville, MS, just to enjoy to rolling terrain, beautiful forests and adorable village of Woodville with some of Mississippi's oldest tiny but very quaint churches...and the beautiful Clark Creek Natural area, full of steep trails through the forest with waterfalls and gorgeous forest, and hills and verdant ravines.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,451 times
Thank you very much Brickpatio for kindly posting such valuable information - it is much appreciated. Best Regards......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi