Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM

91 posts, read 275,863 times

Advertisements

What are the most popular football teams in MS? I'm under the impression that everybody is Saints and Ole Miss. I guess Braves are the most popular MLB team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM

352 posts, read 781,042 times
Mississippi State too!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 109,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
What are the most popular football teams in MS? I'm under the impression that everybody is Saints and Ole Miss. I guess Braves are the most popular MLB team?
Pretty much. I know in southern MS, the Saints rule.

I'd assume there are some Cards fans in the Memphis burbs of MS, since Memphis has the Cardinals' AAA affiliate.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Because of a serious lack of professional teams, and being linked to a seriously awesome college football conference (both teams playing in the BCS title game this year were from the SEC), there are many more college fans than professional fans in Mississippi. My first job out of college in Jackson had a weekly football pool, but it was with college football teams instead of NFL. Mainly you have the Ole Miss Rebel Teddy Bears and Missississippi State Bulldogs. There are also a few Alabama and LSU transplants.

If you really are only interested in professional sports, then primarily it's the Saints and Braves. Unless you happen to hate the Saints or Braves.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Because of a serious lack of professional teams, and being linked to a seriously awesome college football conference (both teams playing in the BCS title game this year were from the SEC), there are many more college fans than professional fans in Mississippi. My first job out of college in Jackson had a weekly football pool, but it was with college football teams instead of NFL. Mainly you have the Ole Miss Rebel Teddy Bears and Missississippi State Bulldogs. There are also a few Alabama and LSU transplants.
For all the success SEC football has had in the last decade, none of that success was driven by Ole Miss or MSU. Perennial doormats, just like Vandy and Kentucky... But that doesn't stop Ole Miss and MSU fans from yelling "SEC" every chance they get!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
It all depends on the area. Here in north MS, I see a LOT of Ole Miss. But there's no lack of Miss State, Tenn and U of Memphis fans. There's a smaller number of LSU, Bama and Arkansas (Go Hogs!!!!!!) fans. Over near Cleveland, I see a majority of Fighting Okra fans.

Most here put a flag or a plywood cut-out of the mascot in their front yard. I'm the only person with both a Razorback and a Boll Weevil.

Pro teams vary widely. I would expect more Titans fans but I think the Cowboys are the biggest here. I'm a Saints fan and have been since the days when Bum Phillips was the coach.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM

91 posts, read 275,863 times
thanks everybody!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 14,062 times
Of the college educated native Mississippians, most are State or Ole Miss or Southern Miss fans. State and Ole Miss have much more fans than USM and are about evenly split across the whole state. However, a larger portion of Mississippians are Alabama and LSU fans just because of the Tides/Tigers success and because a lot people didn't go to college and therefore have never bonded to State or Ole Miss because of the lack of success.

I can understand people from Alabama being Tide fans. But I despise native Mississippians who run off at the mouth Roll Tiding every chance they get. MOVE TO ALABAMA!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
I sell a craft item that comes in school colors and I sell more MSU and LSU than anything. I'm surprised at the number of LSU fans in this state. I'm sure Saints are the #1 NFL team here, but there are a number of Giants fans like me though.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
From the NFL and college standpoint most of North Mississippi will go with the Titans, Ole Miss and Miss State. Central Mississippi are Saints, Cowboys, 49ers, Bears, Jackson State, Southern Miss, Miss State and LSU fans. The Southern part of the state are die heart Saints, Southern Miss, and LSU fans IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi