U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,702 posts, read 2,906,105 times
Reputation: 3953

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
If Mississippi is as poor as everyone seems to think, why do they keep voting Republican?
Mississippi as a whole isn't really "as poor as everyone seems to think". The areas blueice6102 is discussing, however, ARE very very poor. And the poorest areas do vote democrat. As seen HERE, when broken down by county the delta region and the area around Jackson is decidedly dark purple to blue.

But contrary to popular belief, the majority of the population in Mississippi consists of religiously conservative white middle-class. For a variety of reasons (and contrary to their best interests) they overwhelmingly vote Republican in national elections.

Personally, if I were to move back to Mississippi, it would be for a reason and not to just move for the heck of it. I would mostly likely move to either north of Jackson (I have a standing job offer from my first employer in Madison) or Starkville (my large extended family is mostly located about 40 miles west of Starkville). But this is NOT gonna happen as long as my kids are in school; they're in an awesome public school in Chattanooga, and for a variety of reasons, Mississippi schools are... [switching to polite mode] not very good.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 582 times
Reputation: 15
there really are no places to live in ms. ms isnt the greastest or the best place to live in. i live here, its not all great. im not into voting for anyone here besides a president. and i still wont go for no one else but obama. ha even donald trump is a joke. hilary clinton not even. anyways here its nothing. im so ready to leave ms. its not all that great the way they say it on ads or commeriials.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
2,689 posts, read 3,056,014 times
Reputation: 8572
Christi7293 is right! (Well, maybe not about Trump. Trump would be our first good President since Eisenhower.) But anyway, she's right about Mississippi.

OP is, apparently, long gone. But it's SO important to stress that poor people need to FLEE Mississippi, not move there.

Sure, there are "families" ('polymicrobial infections' might be a better term) who move down from the Northeast, and the decaying cities of the Upper Midwest, to take advantage of low housing costs in the South. Somebody will be on disability. Mama will be on Social Security. The babies will be eligible for all the freebies. They move into a Section Eight house, or into a Mortgage Fraud house. On top of government assistance, somebody will be renting out her body. Somebody will be renting-out the body of some underage family member. Somebody will be dealing drugs. The "family" will visit the mailboxes in the neighborhood, for purposes of identity theft. Maybe, once the "family" has gotten the lay of the land, some elderly neighbors will be robbed/beaten/tortured/murdered in their homes.

And then, inevitably, things begin to unravel. "Services" for the poor are not as good as they are in the North. Mama gets an infection in the hospital, and dies. One check GONE. The one on Disability gets messed-up by a local clinic, and something bad happens. Another check gone. The child traffickers go to prison, and unspeakably horrible things happen to them, because they aren't properly 'connected'. One by one, the various members get picked-off. They lose the car(s), and discover that public transportation in Mississippi exists more as a plan than a reality.

If you're a prudent retiree, then Yes: it will probably work.

But for younger people, looking for a place that's "easy", fahgeddaboudit!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 04:07 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
5,985 posts, read 4,398,387 times
Reputation: 10636
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion
If Mississippi is as poor as everyone seems to think, why do they keep voting Republican?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Did voting Democrat bring minorities in the ghetto out of poverty ?
I kind of like this exchange.
Albion seems to believe that voting Democrat brings people out of poverty. You can't blame him for thinking that. After all, that's what the Democrats say they do.

But redwolf looks for evidence of Democrat success and finds none. Baltimore; Chicago; Detroit; Washington DC....Success is no where to be found.

In fact, speaking as a Mississippian, the problems found in those Democratically controlled areas are the reason so many of us vote against Democrats. Yes! We show up to vote because there are Democrats running, not so much because we favor the Republican candidate.
John Kerry is a good example. People turned out in droves in Mississippi to defeat someone whom we felt was an American Fault-Finder, if not an outright American-Hater. We saw the nearly hilarious irony of Kerry running in the party that finds fault with - of all groups - the rich! We couldn't wait to vote against him.

Continuation of this vote-against-the worst-candidate phenomenon will continue if Hillary gets the nomination.

The worst candidate, in the opinion of so many voters I know, is the one who tries to capture votes by bearing gifts from Washington. The failure of the ACA, which has not helped a single soul that I know of, will be blamed on The Democratic candidate. Food Stamps; Obamaphones; The Iran Deal....Democrats are going to answer for all of that in 2016.

The average Mississippian doesn't feel any poorer than anyone else in any other section of the country. Our salaries are low; our overhead is low. It's the rest of the country that goes on and on about how poor we are.
But that's because they are are using the wrong measuring stick.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
 
966 posts, read 944,724 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

The average Mississippian doesn't feel any poorer than anyone else in any other section of the country. Our salaries are low; our overhead is low. It's the rest of the country that goes on and on about how poor we are.
But that's because they are are using the wrong measuring stick.
I disagree with you conclusion that "it doesn't feel...."

it is observably so. Mississippi lacks so much that is found where you have wealth. There is a lack of very wealthy people and the infrastructure that supports that. The entire base line is lower in Mississippi, even when you account for the cost of living.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 08:28 PM
 
25 posts, read 13,920 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I disagree with you conclusion that "it doesn't feel...."

it is observably so. Mississippi lacks so much that is found where you have wealth. There is a lack of very wealthy people and the infrastructure that supports that. The entire base line is lower in Mississippi, even when you account for the cost of living.
Don't tell those that think Mississippi is heaven and everyone else that wants improvement in this state needs to move out.
Positive Change hurts those who love the status quo.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 679,131 times
Reputation: 471
@Listener2307, Washington, DC, is doing quite well. So is Nashville and other big cities with Democratic mayors. Not saying all cities are doing well, but I'm willing to bet there are conservative cities not doing well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 PM
 
5,213 posts, read 2,433,626 times
Reputation: 5929
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
but I'm willing to bet there are conservative cities not doing well.
.

no, they are doing damn good, not just well
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
5,985 posts, read 4,398,387 times
Reputation: 10636
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
@Listener2307, Washington, DC, is doing quite well. So is Nashville and other big cities with Democratic mayors. Not saying all cities are doing well, but I'm willing to bet there are conservative cities not doing well.
It takes time to destroy a city. The cities with the longest history of liberal rule have fallen the farthest, and, not coincidentally, are the most expensive places to live.

Every liberal I have known defines "living cheaply" as a function of how much they can get "for free" from the various governments.
Conservative people define "living cheaply" in a very different way. To a conservative, "living cheaply" means being self sufficient.

For me, that explains the influx of liberals to the larger cities. They are after benefits.
And it explains the out flow of conservatives. They seek independence, as much as it can be had.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top