U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
198 posts, read 205,268 times
Reputation: 272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
Blacks have plenty and more than enough they can call their own exclusively. If you deny that you are a liar. I'm sick of the double standard.

You, and all these people who supposedly live in Jackson, should finally ask yourselves why the city of Jackson and the state as a whole is in the sorry shape it's in compared to the rest of the country. But, you would only lie and deny that too.

I can also tell you why Baltimore is still a disgusting mess. There is only ONE reason. People like you need to be confronted on this aggressively.
For one thing, I don't live in Jackson. And for another, what does your rant have to do with anything in this thread?

 
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
198 posts, read 205,268 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
You would expect something other than left-leaning lies and distortions from Huffpoo?

Non-members should not expect to be able to get married in the fanciest church in town. People JOIN and CONTRIBUTE TO churches like that, and in return for years of involvement and expenditure, get to have their weddings and funerals there. To expect to be able to throw a wedding at a church like that, without even joining, is beyond absurd.

I remember an elderly lady driving us around Crystal Springs, when I was still in college. She pointed out the beautiful public high school... really a fine structure, equal in quality to most buildings on Ivy League college campuses, and the equally beautiful Magnolias on the grounds. These, as a young woman on the Beautification Committee, she had helped plant. The community had come together, donating money and labor, to make the High School one of the finest in the state. Bitterly, she then explained that her grandchildren had to go to private schools, because Kennedy or Johnson had forced "integration" (code for taking it away from one group, and giving it to another).

I suspect that soon, the people whose donations/contributions/tithes built First Baptist of Crystal Springs will have to find another place to go to church... because this edifice, like the High School, will have effectively been taken away from them.
This attitude is the main reason I wouldn't knowingly go to a majority 'White' anything- neighborhood, school...etc. Lady, Black folks are not interested in taking over your old,dusty buildings or anything like that. What we are interested in is being able to live our lives without them being disrupted by those who share your beliefs.

I'm curious, why do you propose that Blacks should do? When we create our own things (schools,magazines, channels...etc), you complain that there's no need for that and why are we separating ourselves. On the other hand, you don't want anything to do with Blacks in your everyday life unless they are working in your kitchen or something. You can't have it both ways.

And speaking of absurd, it's absurd to think that just because you planted some flowers, you own a whole school. Now how ridiculous is that?
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,791 posts, read 3,882,458 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
This attitude is the main reason I wouldn't knowingly go to a majority 'White' anything- neighborhood, school...etc. Lady, Black folks are not interested in taking over your old,dusty buildings or anything like that. What we are interested in is being able to live our lives without them being disrupted by those who share your beliefs.

I'm curious, why do you propose that Blacks should do? When we create our own things (schools,magazines, channels...etc), you complain that there's no need for that and why are we separating ourselves. On the other hand, you don't want anything to do with Blacks in your everyday life unless they are working in your kitchen or something. You can't have it both ways.

And speaking of absurd, it's absurd to think that just because you planted some flowers, you own a whole school. Now how ridiculous is that?
Just for clarity, you should be aware that GvG's posts are almost always not to be taken at face value. Personally, I imagine a sweet-sounding southern drawl dripping with honey. A skilled southern lady can insult you and your ancestry into honey-covered mud and still leave you thinking she loves you. GvG is one of the few I know of who can pull that type of tone off in text.

It's not that I really care about your feelings, I'm just pointing out that she's actually on your side on this issue.

Also, I'm not 100% sure (it's sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction in her entertaining posts), but I'm fairly confident she isn't "white".
 
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM
 
4,645 posts, read 6,460,175 times
Reputation: 5393
Mr. Wanderlust have you ever considered what the country would be like if people with type of thinking had acted like Christians and loved their neighbor? You can blame anyone you want for anything but it all comes down to the love of money. Keeping strife going is profitable to some.
 
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
198 posts, read 205,268 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Just for clarity, you should be aware that GvG's posts are almost always not to be taken at face value. Personally, I imagine a sweet-sounding southern drawl dripping with honey. A skilled southern lady can insult you and your ancestry into honey-covered mud and still leave you thinking she loves you. GvG is one of the few I know of who can pull that type of tone off in text.

It's not that I really care about your feelings, I'm just pointing out that she's actually on your side on this issue.

Also, I'm not 100% sure (it's sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction in her entertaining posts), but I'm fairly confident she isn't "white".
I have read some of her posts and they do come off as almost a parody of caricature of an old time Southern Belle, but I doubt that we are on the same side in regards to this. My feelings are not hurt because I don't deal with people who are of that mindset. And it doesn't matter if the posts are facetious or not, my response is still true and valid.
 
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Central Mississippi
356 posts, read 1,216,136 times
Reputation: 209
I don't suppose any of you saw the rally that was held in Crystal Springs yesterday to show that not everybody there is racist. ? What the few people in that church did was just plain wrong and the pastor should have stood up to them. It doesn't mean everybody in Crystal Springs is like that.
 
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,229 posts, read 4,192,873 times
Reputation: 11590
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
... Personally, I imagine a sweet-sounding southern drawl dripping with honey. A skilled southern lady can insult you and your ancestry into honey-covered mud and still leave you thinking she loves you. GvG is one of the few I know of who can pull that type of tone off in text.

Also, I'm not 100% sure (it's sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction in her entertaining posts), but I'm fairly confident she isn't "white".
Ooooooooh! Thank you, kind sir! I never dreamed I'd be scrutinized by a Literary Comparatist! The best I'd done previously was figuring in someone's Philosophy of Economics doctoral thesis. And now that I'm one of those Globalist Vampires without American employees, I'll never get that sort of attention again.

But since moving out here, I've come to sound like Christine Baranski (years of listening to & repeating after William F. Buckley recordings in the Speech Lab, in college). If you need a visual image, think of Kanon Wakeshima (similar face & puffydresses, but without the makeup ... with better jewelry - and with a better colorist. Kanon's single-color Cellophane treatments are nice, but not camera-worthy.). Parking valets in LA, though, tend to think they've spotted Amandititita (disturbing, since her upgraded 'La Muy Muy' video pretty much graphically shows & glorifies the torture and vivisection of a blonde rival). Heck: I talk to them in Italian, and they just think it's that rich Mexico City Spanish... and then, they're SURE I'm Amandititita .

But back to the story at hand: So nice to see that church members with government/teaching jobs, or who are dependent on (conceivably-suddenly-denied) government 'services', have lined up to let everybody know it's not them who objected to the wedding. Why does this whole thing (protagonists AND antagonists alike) remind me of Catherine Anne Porter's Ship of Fools?
 
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Springfield, mo
141 posts, read 328,641 times
Reputation: 239
Not all Southern Baptist Churches are racist either. The church that I used to go to in South MS (Gulfport to be exact) had members that were white, black, Hispanic and even mixed couples. They were never turned away and have never been denied a wedding there. Our pastor was white but our youth pastor was black. I loved that our church was diverse. If we had not moved to MO due to a job opportunity we will still be going there.

There are some ignorant people in MS as well as in other states but for some reason MS is the only one that keeps getting the press about it. Those few people in that church will have to answer for their bigotry when they meet the man upstairs. I am glad that the pastor still got to marry the couple. I hope they have a long and happy life together.

Stephanie
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 438,600 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristTheKing View Post
I'm a white Protestant and while I agree the liberal media and liberals in general are a major problem in this country, can you elabrote a little more on your point?
I'm a black Catholic and while I agree that Fox and the "Liberal Media" in general are a major problem in this country, can you elaborate a little more on your point?
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,149 posts, read 19,694,880 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristTheKing View Post
I'm a white Protestant and while I agree the liberal media and liberals in general are a major problem in this country, can you elabrote a little more on your point?
How about you elaborate how I am a problem in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top