U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,715 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone out there can give me some insight on the schools in Union County. I saw that the New Albany city schools are a bit larger student population wise, but all of the schools, City and County as well, are level 5 schools. That's really impressive. Since they all seem to be on the same level in that respect, I was wondering about the "feel" of them otherwise. Are some more accepting of new students than others, that kind of thing? We are looking at that area and my kids have had some bad experiences in the past not being accepted 100% at "cliquish" schools. Seems like where we are now if you weren't born and raised here, then you are always a little bit on the ouside of things. We want to avoid that in the future if we can. Any comments would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM

315 posts, read 980,183 times
New Albany schools are excellent, academically. Your success in "fitting in" will depend primarily on you and your children. If you aren't from the immediate area, there is going to be some culture shock, more if you are relocating from an area with very different values than the ones held here. Among the first questions you will be asked by people you meet is where you attend church- this will usually be followed by an invitation to visit their church. If you find this offensive or intrusive, you may want to live closer to some larger, more progressive city. People here have very old-fashioned, conservative core values.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,891,331 times
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for the compliments on our schools. I live in Blue Springs, just 3 miles from one of the county schools, East Union. My oldest just graduated and I still have a 13 year old in the 8th grade.

There have been many new students in school, and for the most part, are accepted right off. Our kids are pretty good kids. Baseball and basketball are really high on the entertainment list. East Union is the largest Union County school of the 4. There are Myrtle, West Union and Ingomar rounding out the other 4.

You do not mention just where you are locating in Union County and I do not know personally about the other schools.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,715 times
Thanks to both of you for your input! I'd love to be in a place where one of the first things people do is invite you to church - it shows a lot about the character of the community. We would be relocating from a small-ish area, so I don't think we'd be in for much of a shock in that respect. But I am hoping that we can find a more accepting and welcoming place to live - even though our area is smaller, it's very "exclusive" as far as who people here choose to include in their circles (as in - if you weren't a football star or cheerleader growing up here or you don't live in a $400,000 house, you really don't stand a chance from the get-go!) Both our kids play sports - baseball, softball, soccer, and now tennis too, and I'd like to be in a place where they can continue to enjoy being active and make new friends that way.

And wow - the Blue Springs area (and the rest of the county too) will really be growing with Toyota coming in won't they!? Wonder how much that will change the character of the area - small-town feel versus fast paced growth, etc. and how it will change the schools as far as infrastructure for the influx of kids.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Yes, we are hoping it will not change the people too much. Of course there will be new people coming in, but we hope to keep the basic integrity of who we are and have been.

The schools will hopefully get new math and science labs as they grow, Toyota has set aside money for each of the schools to use for these purposes.

As far as the town, I do hope we can also keep the good parts as we grow. The planning will be crucial and we are keeping this in mind and getting a lot of input from the community in town and surrounding town.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 12,007 times
Default Texas teacher relocating to Union County

My husband and I may be relocating to Union County in the near future. I am a Texas certified teacher in English 6-12; social studies 8-12; and special education k-12. I will be transferring my certification to Mississippi before, or shortly after, we move.

I currently teach 8th grade social studies in a small town of about 8,000. It isn't the best paying school district in Texas, but I love the small town kids and the friendships I enjoy with my fellow teachers. I'm hoping that there will be available teaching jobs in Union County, and that the experience there will be as gratifying as my experience here has been.

Does anyone know about the teacher turnover rate in Union County or any other information about teaching there?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,539 times
Red face west union school

This school is a 5 star school

Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM

It seems that one or more of the schools are always looking for teachers before a new year begins. The best way to find out more is to contact the Union County Superintendents office located in New Albany MS. The name of the Superintendent is Mr. Basil. He is a very nice person who at one time was an elementary principal at East Union.

Best of luck to you on your moves to our little slice of heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or