U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 PM

6,530 posts, read 9,813,561 times

Advertisements

I started another thread similar to this one, except it focused on the blight of Meridian and its dilapidated buildings.
That thread can be found here:

Distressed Photo Album of Meridian Mississippi

I told people on that thread I was planning an opposite thread to highlight Meridian's nicer sides, more artistic buildings, and the strides its made in recent years. I hope you enjoy the photo album as much as I enjoyed taking the picture, roughly 80% of the pictures I took using my digital camera or cellphone. All comments and discussion is appreciated!

Above are pictures of Meridian's main post office, also the distribution center for Lauderdale county.

The Presbyterian Church in Meridian.

Meridian's newly finished City Hall.

Union Station in Meridian.

The Three Foot building, Meridian's oldest and tallest Sky Scraper.

[IMG]
Pictures of the Meridian skyline and some buildings located in downtown.

The city courthouse.

First State Bank in downtown Meridian.

Rush Hospital.

Union Hotel in downtown Meridian by nightfall.

The Riley Center, Meridian's oldest theater house.

The Temple Theater also located in downtown Meridian.

Some of the larger hotels in Meridian, located directly off the I-20 interstate.

A couple of shops and apartments in downtown Meridian.

Assorted shopping and restaurants in Meridian, this is by far not all the stores and restaurants that are available.

Assorted houses in the Meridian area.

Random pictures around Meridian.

Just showcasing Meridian's stronger and better sights, trying to improve the reputation of this town. All comments appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM

594 posts, read 926,938 times
Great pics!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Great pics!
Thank you!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM

594 posts, read 926,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Thank you!
You welcome

Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM

268 posts, read 671,407 times
My old friend from Channel 24 owns that pink gingerbread house.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
My old friend from Channel 24 owns that pink gingerbread house.

Ahaha, really? I just took a few random pictures of some nice houses in the area.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,422 times
I hated Meridian in the 80s. They hated us navy folks like we were the plague. Meridian and Toledo, OH are the worst two places I've been...and I've been around!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Meridian View Post
I hated Meridian in the 80s. They hated us navy folks like we were the plague. Meridian and Toledo, OH are the worst two places I've been...and I've been around!
People today love the Navy base. It employs 3,000 local jobs.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:13 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,740,858 times
Beautiful pics! Meridian Is beautiful in parts, just as you have shown.

The terrain is some of the prettiest in Mississippi. I love those homes perched up on steep hills. And the downtown is filled with unique architecture. If you squinted your eyes in some of those downtown pics, you could use your imagination and almost imagine being on a block in a neighborhood in New York or Baltimore or somewhere. In the residential areas on the north side of town, near North Hills Rd and further north, there is clearly money in the town. I.e. lots of big homes and some outright mansions up on high hills.

On the other hand, there is so much blight along I-20 and surrounding the downtown area. To me that's the main thing holding back the city. Otherwise, as you've showed...it does have potential.

Good central location, with easy drives to New Orleans, Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham and Jackson. Also Oxford, Starkville and Hattiesburg are easy to reach. They've got some high-ranked public schools (West Lauderdale, Enterprise). They also some beautiful parks, lakes, and golf courses.

Eventually I would hope that as the national economy grows, and Mississippi's grows at about the same piece, traditionally that has meant average income levels doubling about every 40 years. I have to believe that by that time, with all that extra money, they'll be able to reinvest in the city and clean up much of the blighted areas.

Also, I've wondered if they could build an interstate around the city, like Birmingham did. Driving through Birmingham along I-20 is hideous, i.e. very industrial and unkempt. But the new outside loop around the south side of Birmingham is absolutely beautiful. I'd like to see Meridian try the same type of thing.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Beautiful pics! Meridian Is beautiful in parts, just as you have shown.

The terrain is some of the prettiest in Mississippi. I love those homes perched up on steep hills. And the downtown is filled with unique architecture. If you squinted your eyes in some of those downtown pics, you could use your imagination and almost imagine being on a block in a neighborhood in New York or Baltimore or somewhere. In the residential areas on the north side of town, near North Hills Rd and further north, there is clearly money in the town. I.e. lots of big homes and some outright mansions up on high hills.

On the other hand, there is so much blight along I-20 and surrounding the downtown area. To me that's the main thing holding back the city. Otherwise, as you've showed...it does have potential.

Good central location, with easy drives to New Orleans, Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham and Jackson. Also Oxford, Starkville and Hattiesburg are easy to reach. They've got some high-ranked public schools (West Lauderdale, Enterprise). They also some beautiful parks, lakes, and golf courses.

Eventually I would hope that as the national economy grows, and Mississippi's grows at about the same piece, traditionally that has meant average income levels doubling about every 40 years. I have to believe that by that time, with all that extra money, they'll be able to reinvest in the city and clean up much of the blighted areas.

Also, I've wondered if they could build an interstate around the city, like Birmingham did. Driving through Birmingham along I-20 is hideous, i.e. very industrial and unkempt. But the new outside loop around the south side of Birmingham is absolutely beautiful. I'd like to see Meridian try the same type of thing.
Sounds like you're very familiar with the area. I'm glad to see some people give it such praise, it really does get looked down upon quite often.

As to the interstate loop, that will only happen if the Meridian area breaks 1 million people, right now the micropolitan population is about 100,000, so they have a long ways to go. Meridian just isn't big enough or busy enough to justify an interstate loop. That's only common in much larger cities like Atlanta, Nashville, and Birmingham. Even Jackson doesn't have an interstate loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or