U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 5,817 times

Advertisements

LOOKING TO MOVE TO MISSISSIPPI. NEVER BEEN THERE. DONT KNOW WHICH PART TO RESIDE IN!! I MUST BE. ABLE TO GAIN WORK. HAVE DECENT SCHOOLS. I WAS THINKING COLUMBUS, STARKVILLE, CARTHAGE, OR WHAT YALL THINK?? NEED ALL INPUT. LOOKING TO RELOCATE 6/2013. Low crime rate affordable living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM

9,526 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkijackson View Post
LOOKING TO MOVE TO MISSISSIPPI. NEVER BEEN THERE. DONT KNOW WHICH PART TO RESIDE IN!! I MUST BE. ABLE TO GAIN WORK. HAVE DECENT SCHOOLS. I WAS THINKING COLUMBUS, STARKVILLE, CARTHAGE, OR WHAT YALL THINK?? NEED ALL INPUT. LOOKING TO RELOCATE 6/2013. Low crime rate affordable living

Do you have a job offer?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

No but i was gonna apply to some places before i came. I do administrative work.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM

40 posts, read 60,080 times
nikki, don't take this the wrong way, but there is no shortage of people who do "adminstrative work" here, but there is a shortage of administrative jobs, and jobs in general. It would be a big gamble for you to move here before you have a definite job. I recommend you stick with the larger urban areas, at least untli you get here and get your feet on the ground. good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,094,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
nikki, don't take this the wrong way, but there is no shortage of people who do "adminstrative work" here, but there is a shortage of administrative jobs, and jobs in general. It would be a big gamble for you to move here before you have a definite job. I recommend you stick with the larger urban areas, at least untli you get here and get your feet on the ground. good luck!
^^^This! Jobs are not so plentiful in your field. Think hard and do your homework before jumping in.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM

74 posts, read 142,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkijackson View Post
Nikki, some call me a jerk. I like to think of it as blunt.

Either way you slice it, if this is an example of your "administrative work" capacity AND you have no offer on the table, do not move here as you will be perpetually unemployed.

The other two posters are right. Every woman in Mississippi is a clerical expert and most type, spell, punctuate, and have grammatical structure similar to yours. The number of "skilled applicants" (read that as "every woman who applied because none admit that they're not really all that good at it") outnumbers the available jobs of that type by 40 to 1.

You will not stand out from the crowd AND you're not a native. There's no way they're going to hire you around here.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM

13,660 posts, read 8,577,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerhacke View Post
Nikki, some call me a jerk. I like to think of it as blunt.

Either way you slice it, if this is an example of your "administrative work" capacity AND you have no offer on the table, do not move here as you will be perpetually unemployed.

The other two posters are right. Every woman in Mississippi is a clerical expert and most type, spell, punctuate, and have grammatical structure similar to yours. The number of "skilled applicants" (read that as "every woman who applied because none admit that they're not really all that good at it") outnumbers the available jobs of that type by 40 to 1.

You will not stand out from the crowd AND you're not a native. There's no way they're going to hire you around here.
If he's a jerk, I am too. Listen to him.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,524 times
If you never been here, why are you moving here...and why those places? Moving with no job in this economy.......

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM

I just wanted quiet life country and peaceful thats all

Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM

159 posts, read 221,067 times
If you have pretty good computer skills outside of just clerical and things, you will have a good chance of beating out other applicants.I manage the IT needs for 44 offices through out MS. and LA. and 80% of the women at these locations have very limited PC knowledge, and dont even know how to copy and paste, might be hard workers but an uneducated workforce for sure, and a handful of these women dont even know what it means to click and drag a file into your email! so if you have skills in Admin that come with more than common knowledge of PC usuage, i would suggest coming here to look for job and then if you get a good ( for sure offer ), than relocate, cost of living is cheap which is a plus but pay is very low! I make a fraction of what other make around this country and do almost a dozen professional IT jobs in one low paying package, but bills are fair and i like knowing the places and streets like the back of my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi