Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM

80 posts, read 956,545 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently found a school yearbook from 1965 (school year 1964-1965). I have always been interested in the older decades I guess because of how it's often portrayed in movies - a simpler time, teenagers seemed to live a different easier more pure way then say now days. Although I know that may not really be true. But anyways, I was fascinated by my found. I found it so interesting to actually see how high school was in my town during that time. Mostly because of the style and hair-dos, the football, cheer leading, band uniforms, it's just like out of a movie. Even the tons of clubs that are now non-existent in most of our schools today (4-H, FFA, Homemakers, etc.) but as I neared the end of the book I noticed, every single person from the students to the faculty were all white. There is not one person in that yearbook that is not white. Even now there is not a large population of African Americans in my town, less then 2% of the towns population (according to Wikipedia, which living here I can very well trust that). But it makes me wonder, were most places still segregated during this time? Or is it just simply that this town was all white back then given the small population of other races during today's time? I tried to do some google research but its so scattered with results such as segregation ended in 50 something, or 60 or 70 something. I even came across several news articles about Tylertown schools being segregated until 2010! That one blew my mind. But anyways I was just wondering if anyone could help clear this up for me if they have more knowledge about it or even attended school during those years. I hope this post doesn't offend anyone - that is not my intention in any way. It's just a curiosity of mine since it is part of history, (not a good one for our state or even whole country for that matter) along with this yearbook I found.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Sounds like you discovered a "sundown town." If you don't know what that is, look it up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I graduated from high school in Jackson, MS in 1963. Up until that time I had never spoken to a Black person. Never knew one.

Our high school, which still operates in Jackson today, was totally segregated. The thought of integrating it never occurred to us, the students. I guess we all knew that it would happen - and it did, in 1964 - but we never talked about it.

I left Jackson and the South that summer and went off to make my way in the world. I got letters from younger friends back home, but I never returned. They were very much afraid of what would happen when the black kids came to school with the white kids. At first, that fall of 1963, I am told it was very, very quiet in the halls. Everyone was careful around everyone else, and the few who did speak across the color lines were careful and very polite. There were no problems at all that year. After that I lost touch; had to win the war in Viet Nam, you know....

It was a long time - 1977 - before I ever saw the South again, and that was in Atlanta. I remember watching black people and marveling at how they looked at ease in the restaurants. They hadn't even been allowed in those restaurants in my day. I marveled at how far they - well, we all - had come.

I've always thought of how ironic it was for me. I had gone my whole life never knowing a black person, and when I went into the service the very first black person I had ever spoken to threatened to kick my a$$ because I had selected a bunk next to his. But the next black person I talked to told the first one to cool it. It's all been OK ever since. Today, my back door neighbor is black. Our little dog got out and she held him in her back yard until we got home. When we came home she put him in her car and drove him around the block to our house. We get along.

I remember seeing three restrooms at the gas station; Men, Women, Colored. I remember my little sister went to get a drink of water at the "wrong" water fountain in Woolworth's (about 1959) and one of the white clerks rushed over to "save" her. The were no black people allowed in movie theaters that I ever went to - not even drive ins.
Watch Morgan Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy". His "Yes'm" and "No'm" is exactly the way I remember it being said.

I never hesitate to bring up the subject of race relations when appropriate. I know there is still a lot of bad blood; I have felt it as recently as last year. But I ignore the bad blood. I never strike back and never retaliate. Someone else's history and reaction is just something that happened to them.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Our high school, which still operates in Jackson today, was totally segregated. The thought of integrating it never occurred to us, the students. I guess we all knew that it would happen - and it did, in 1964 - but we never talked about it.

I left Jackson and the South that summer and went off to make my way in the world. I got letters from younger friends back home, but I never returned. They were very much afraid of what would happen when the black kids came to school with the white kids. At first, that fall of 1963, I am told it was very, very quiet in the halls. Everyone was careful around everyone else, and the few who did speak across the color lines were careful and very polite. There were no problems at all that year.
I bet there were lots of problems for the Black kids, but you probably didn't hear about that...

My understanding (I wasn't there) was that most whites in Jackson pulled their kids out of the public schools and sent them to the private "council" schools operated by the White Citizens Council. And that was pretty much the end of white people in public schools in most of Mississippi. Nowadays the state is overrun with private "academies" that are 95% white, with public schools that are 95% Black. In other words, still segregated.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 AM

16 posts, read 60,484 times
Quote:
I graduated from high school in Jackson, MS in 1963. Up until that time I had never spoken to a Black person. Never knew one.

I left Jackson and the South that summer and went off to make my way in the world. I got letters from younger friends back home, but I never returned. They were very much afraid of what would happen when the black kids came to school with the white kids. At first, that fall of 1963, I am told it was very, very quiet in the halls. Everyone was careful around everyone else, and the few who did speak across the color lines were careful and very polite. There were no problems at all that year. After that I lost touch; had to win the war in Viet Nam, you know....

It was a long time - 1977 - before I ever saw the South again, and that was in Atlanta. I remember watching black people and marveling at how they looked at ease in the restaurants. They hadn't even been allowed in those restaurants in my day. I marveled at how far they - well, we all - had come.

I've always thought of how ironic it was for me. I had gone my whole life never knowing a black person, and when I went into the service the very first black person I had ever spoken to threatened to kick my a$$ because I had selected a bunk next to his. But the next black person I talked to told the first one to cool it. It's all been OK ever since. Today, my back door neighbor is black. Our little dog got out and she held him in her back yard until we got home. When we came home she put him in her car and drove him around the block to our house. We get along.

I remember seeing three restrooms at the gas station; Men, Women, Colored. I remember my little sister went to get a drink of water at the "wrong" water fountain in Woolworth's (about 1959) and one of the white clerks rushed over to "save" her. The were no black people allowed in movie theaters that I ever went to - not even drive ins.
Watch Morgan Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy". His "Yes'm" and "No'm" is exactly the way I remember it being said.

I never hesitate to bring up the subject of race relations when appropriate. I know there is still a lot of bad blood; I have felt it as recently as last year. But I ignore the bad blood. I never strike back and never retaliate. Someone else's history and reaction is just something that happened to them.

Have any advice for a northerner coming down to MS? I haven't ever felt uncomfortable around blacks, but I don't want to step on toes.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 AM

80 posts, read 956,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOfIceAndSnow View Post
Have any advice for a northerner coming down to MS? I haven't ever felt uncomfortable around blacks, but I don't want to step on toes.
I think it really depends on where you go. You will be fine though. I have always lived in South MS. I grew up on the Coast and once I was done with school I moved a little more inland. I think the Coast is one of our states largest "stirring pots". You have so many races and everyone seems to get along (for the most part). I do find though, that as young adults and even some older, the racism doesn't really exist (again, this depends on where you go) Its more common among the younger people (and the much older) I really dislike topics like this because there's always someone who gets offended, even if its truth or not. The Coast is a funny place, from Bay St. Louis up until you get to Gulfport, is mostly white. Gulfport & Biloxi are the stirring pots, you have every race there. Ocean Springs is mostly white. And then to the East of Biloxi/Ocean Springs is mostly black. My high school was mostly black, And to be completely honest, the whites were the ones "getting our toes stepped on" the most. I had been on the receiving end of racism so many times, and not because I did anything, but just because I was there in the room. I wasn't addressed by my name, it was "hey white girl". And you'd often hear that - "that white boy, white girl". I've even been called honky, cracker, hell even "white trash" one time when another student and I had a disagreement over a review question in class. Everyone got along for the most part, but the moment there was a disagreement, the racism happened, it was almost like a defense mechanism. It was crazy. I always ignored it, I don't have a problem with blacks or any other race, it wouldn't make me a better person to make remarks back, or to even get hurt feelings about it, you just learn to let it go. Many blacks are still "angry", and some have raised their children with the same mindset. JUST as whites have done the same with their own children. I just can't believe things still have to be this way. America is never going to get along. Racism, especially with blacks and the slavery and all that, will always play a strong part in our Country. I hate to say that but it's the truth. The thing that really upsets me the most, is that the people who have that mindset, are so "proud" to be who they are, but yet they take advantage of nothing that other people fought so hard for them to have. People fought for them to have their freedom and rights, to be able to go to good schools, do everything that everyone else was allowed to do. But no one takes advantage of that anymore.
Anyway, point being, it really depends where you go. Racism is everywhere, as long as you don't actually make a racist remark towards someone you'll be fine. Just don't be surprised if you get your toes stepped on.
Man I feel like I've opened a can of worms on this one, its always such a risky subject. But I'm only telling the truth, I really wish things would change though.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I bet there were lots of problems for the Black kids, but you probably didn't hear about that...

My understanding (I wasn't there) was that most whites in Jackson pulled their kids out of the public schools and sent them to the private "council" schools operated by the White Citizens Council. And that was pretty much the end of white people in public schools in most of Mississippi. Nowadays the state is overrun with private "academies" that are 95% white, with public schools that are 95% Black. In other words, still segregated.
My friends were there, and reported no trouble. I have no knowledge of anyone who was sent to any sort of white only school. Sending "most" whites off to a previously nonexistent school would be pretty tough. Unless you have a credible link, it will have to pass as just another opinion/myth on the Internet.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOfIceAndSnow View Post
No advice, in particular. Most folks get along, these days. It's not like you are coming from a place known for racial inequality.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My friends were there, and reported no trouble. I have no knowledge of anyone who was sent to any sort of white only school. Sending "most" whites off to a previously nonexistent school would be pretty tough. Unless you have a credible link, it will have to pass as just another opinion/myth on the Internet.
Look up "Council Schools" and "Segregation Academies" and learn something about Mississippi history.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
I thought it sounded off as well... Mississippi is overrun with public schools that are 95% black?

That isn't true. Mississippi public schools average are closer to 50/50. For the state average, the link below show 46.1% white, 50.1% black, and the rest is other.

Mississippi Education - Profile on Mississippi Education and Schools

This link shows the racial makeup of every school district.

Mississippi School District Demographics

There are exceptions, such as Mound Bayou, but it's the only one with a black student population greater than 89%. Mound Bayou is 98.3%.

If a school is mostly white or black it usually reflects the racial makeup of the county or city the school is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi