Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM

164 posts, read 309,585 times

Advertisements

I find it very interesting that the Confederate Flag is so prominently displayed on the State Flag of Mississippi while over a third of the states population is black. I realize the citizens voted to keep the flag as it is and the majority won, but I just wondered how Mississippi blacks thought about it. Especially as tax payers. I have heard that's the reason so many nationwide events will never come to Mississippi, such as a NCAA Final 4, or a major college football bowl, but then some of my white friends from Mississippi say they'd rather not have those events come to their state if it means removing the Confederate flag from their state flag.

Last edited by i35vagabond; 07-07-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM

7,476 posts, read 6,224,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
I find it very interesting that the Confederate Flag is so prominently displayed on the State Flag of Mississippi while over a third of the states population is black. I realize the citizens voted to keep the flag as it is and the majority won, but I just wondered how Mississippi blacks thought about it. Especially as tax payers. I have heard that's the reason so many nationwide events will never come to Mississippi, such as a NCAA Final 4, or a major college football bowl, but then some of my white friends from Mississippi say they'd rather not have those events come to their state if it means removing the Confederate flag from their state flag.
But we have good fishing. You can use just about any kind of bait and you will catch a fish.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM

164 posts, read 309,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
But we have good fishing. You can use just about any kind of bait and you will catch a fish.

yes, y'all do have some good food over there in MS. we always like going to the Blue and White Restaurant when we're in Tunica. Love that home cooking. We haven't found any really good genuine Mexican or bbq restaraunts in MS that can compare to anything we have in TX, though.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,872,570 times
"many nationwide events will never come to Mississippi, such as a NCAA Final 4, or a major college football bowl."

Mississippi is a tiny (population wise), relativity poor state with no major population centers (there are only 500,000 people who live in the five county Jackson Metro Area – a huge area land mass wise). None of those events where going to come here anyway. This is also the reason we don't have NASCAR tracks, amusements parks, etc., etc.

Having a military background (moved around a lot), I can assure all that race relations are no better or worse in Mississippi than anywhere else. In the Jackson metro area, black people live in nice, predominately white neighborhoods and no one cares. However, if one of the kids of a black or white family displays thug or gang like activity, you are going to have problems.

Due to the large percentage of black people in Mississippi, black and white people likely interact here more than in other parts of the country.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Viverlibre is right. The control freaks of the world want to tell Mississippians what should and should not be on the state flag, and try to manipulate us Mississippians into submission by seeming to promise the impossible, which in this case is some meaningless sports event.

We ain't going for it.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM

428 posts, read 846,766 times
I am African American and have a confederate flag along with the state flag hanging in my house. I have Scottish surname and some Scots-Irish ancestry mixed in along with Choctaw. Flag for me is the cross of saint andrew the patron saint of Scotland and represents my southern heritage which I am proud of. I do not think most Black people care about the flag. There are bigger fish to fry and most Mississippians are smart enough to know not every bubba with a rebel flag is racist. Some are and some are not. Keep mind also when you see old pictures of the Klan with the rebel flag waving you usually also see and American flag. Why single out the rebel flag and then ignore the U.S. flag. Anyways like I said I think most of us our just trying to make a living and could careless about the flag.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,416,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
"many nationwide events will never come to Mississippi, such as a NCAA Final 4, or a major college football bowl."

Mississippi is a tiny (population wise), relativity poor state with no major population centers (there are only 500,000 people who live in the five county Jackson Metro Area – a huge area land mass wise). None of those events where going to come here anyway. This is also the reason we don't have NASCAR tracks, amusements parks, etc., etc.
Shreveport, LA has a college football bowl game, as does Birmingham, AL. Neither is a huge metropolis, so indeed it is feasible that Jackson, MS could hold a bowl game. Were it not for the flag...

It's not feasible for MS to host a college basketball Final Four, but it's certainly reasonable that MS could host one of the regional games leading up to the FF. Were it not for the flag...

Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,763,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Shreveport, LA has a college football bowl game, as does Birmingham, AL. Neither is a huge metropolis, so indeed it is feasible that Jackson, MS could hold a bowl game. Were it not for the flag...

It's not feasible for MS to host a college basketball Final Four, but it's certainly reasonable that MS could host one of the regional games leading up to the FF. Were it not for the flag...

Do you have proof to support your hypothesis that "the flag" keeps Mississippi from hosting sporting events like these?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,221,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Birmingham has about 2.5 times the population as Jackson. Shreveport has a comparable population.

One thing your "cause and effect" reasoning is omitting, however, is the fact that Shreveport has the facilities to handle a football bowl game. I've been to Jackson's Veteran's Stadium (my high school football team played for the state championship there). It's horrible. If Jackson tried for a bowl bid they'd be laughed out of the building. And the Mississippi Coliseum was old when I was a kid. It's better suited for hosting rodeos and indoor tractor pulls.

So, "Were it not for the lack of facilities..."

Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,416,563 times
Birmingham Legion Field is literally the worst stadium I have ever set foot into. Yet they have the Compass Bowl every year. Jackson Veterans Stadium is good enough.

Jackson does not have a basketball facility. Maybe some other area in the state?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi