U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM

42 posts, read 65,428 times

Advertisements

maybe city-data's Mississippi population is more liberal than MS's population as a whole (since its the internet) but do you blacks and whites (I know there isn't much else there) mostly stay out of fights with each other, hang out much, live in the same neighborhoods much?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
maybe city-data's but do you blacks and whites (I know there isn't much else there) mostly stay out of fights with each other, hang out much, live in the same neighborhoods much?
Heck no, we fight all the time, like cats and dogs. Everybody is afraid to go any where, cause they may run into someone of a different color. Its really bad.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Heck no, we fight all the time, like cats and dogs. Everybody is afraid to go any where, cause they may run into someone of a different color. Its really bad.

Nah, he's puttin' the shuck on you, Time. We get along fine. Regardless of age, most Mississippians feel comfortable around each other. We work together, eat at the same restaurants, live in the same neighborhoods.

BTW: We are seeing a lot of "returnees", let's call them. That is, black people who left Mississippi as very young children and have had their fill of Detroit, Chicago, and St Louis. If they can figure out a way to make a living, they are coming back. And best of all, some of the returnees are retirees. Not so much that is will change the state in any way, understand, but it is happening.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM

152 posts, read 253,612 times
I'm not from Mississippi (I'm a Tennessee girl) but I have heard that race relations are generally better there than here despite Mississippi having a slightly rougher civil rights record. The ironic thing about states where there is a higher percentage of races interacting regularly is that there is simultaneously a greater sense of comradry and tension between said races. I'm under no illusion that Tennessee is morally superior to Mississippi in terms of race just because our black and white citizens are supposedly more moderate on the issue. (Of course there are other races, too, but since this is the South I'm going to assume we're primarily discussing black and white Southerners.) The truth is that outside of Memphis, and some other areas, white people haven't felt nearly as politically nor economically threatened by the vastly smaller black voting population. This is slightly cynical for me to say, but there has been very little threat to white supremacy in Tennessee compared to other areas of the South which enables its white citizens to historically take more "moderate" stances on race. So, even if Mississippi on paper still seems to be one of the states which struggles the most, I think it's important to put that into context. Before casting stones, we non-Mississippians should ask ourselves whether or not our beloved homestates have honestly been forced to confront the challenges of having a truly multiracial (where the percentages actually make a difference) society like Mississippi has. I think if we put our standards into that context, black and white Mississippians very likely lead the nation when it comes to race.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is this... We all have room to improve in America and trying to make MS a scapegoat for its struggles with desegregation/integration while praising places like New York City for its "de facto" segregation is problematic. Certainly bigger fences make better neighbors (and what bigger fence is there than segregation?) but the point of desegregation was to ensure that all races would have an equal opportunity to similar resources and, ideally, provide equal opportunitues for social and economic mobility. Despite some notable success stories and affirmative action's efforts, there is statistically still a disproportionate allocation of resources to minority races due to integration's failure nationwide. I'm consistently astonished by how people from modern segregation cities all but flaunt a new age "separate but equal" rhetoric with the SAME excuses that many moderate segregationists in the 1950s and 1960s used. Mississippi might not look that impressive against many national standards, but even if its resources are limited, they are more evenly distributed between the races than in many other areas of the country. Based on that perspective of race in America, I believe Mississippians should be praised rather than scorned for being far more successful than many of the "less tense" yet more segregated states.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
I'm not from Mississippi (I'm a Tennessee girl) but I have heard that race relations are generally better there than here despite Mississippi having a slightly rougher civil rights record. The ironic thing about states where there is a higher percentage of races interacting regularly is that there is simultaneously a greater sense of comradry and tension between said races. I'm under no illusion that Tennessee is morally superior to Mississippi in terms of race just because our black and white citizens are supposedly more moderate on the issue. (Of course there are other races, too, but since this is the South I'm going to assume we're primarily discussing black and white Southerners.) The truth is that outside of Memphis, and some other areas, white people haven't felt nearly as politically nor economically threatened by the vastly smaller black voting population. This is slightly cynical for me to say, but there has been very little threat to white supremacy in Tennessee compared to other areas of the South which enables its white citizens to historically take more "moderate" stances on race. So, even if Mississippi on paper still seems to be one of the states which struggles the most, I think it's important to put that into context. Before casting stones, we non-Mississippians should ask ourselves whether or not our beloved homestates have honestly been forced to confront the challenges of having a truly multiracial (where the percentages actually make a difference) society like Mississippi has. I think if we put our standards into that context, black and white Mississippians very likely lead the nation when it comes to race.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is this... We all have room to improve in America and trying to make MS a scapegoat for its struggles with desegregation/integration while praising places like New York City for its "de facto" segregation is problematic. Certainly bigger fences make better neighbors (and what bigger fence is there than segregation?) but the point of desegregation was to ensure that all races would have an equal opportunity to similar resources and, ideally, provide equal opportunitues for social and economic mobility. Despite some notable success stories and affirmative action's efforts, there is statistically still a disproportionate allocation of resources to minority races due to integration's failure nationwide. I'm consistently astonished by how people from modern segregation cities all but flaunt a new age "separate but equal" rhetoric with the SAME excuses that many moderate segregationists in the 1950s and 1960s used. Mississippi might not look that impressive against many national standards, but even if its resources are limited, they are more evenly distributed between the races than in many other areas of the country. Based on that perspective of race in America, I believe Mississippians should be praised rather than scorned for being far more successful than many of the "less tense" yet more segregated states.
There you go now. You are going to ruin it for all of us. The word will get out, we'll go to the top of the list and then the influx will begin and pretty soon we will look just like some of those states up north.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
There you go now. You are going to ruin it for all of us. The word will get out, we'll go to the top of the list and then the influx will begin and pretty soon we will look just like some of those states up north.
Yeah. Fact is, we ain't struggling at all. We don't like going to school much, have no need for guys with advanced degrees in physics (I mean there's nothing for them to do), love pick up trucks, and all the other stuff that people bring up. It all TRUE! So?

But for some reason, everyone uses the word 'struggling' when they talk about us. I dunno why.

I'm not struggling. Are you?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM

190 posts, read 600,976 times
Well shoot. I thought this was going to be a NASCAR thread.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM

1,964 posts, read 3,168,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
Well shoot. I thought this was going to be a NASCAR thread.
And for all the "good ol boys" in this state, I am somewhat surprised that Mississippi doesn't have a single NASCAR event. Putting up a track and bleachers isn't super expensive.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Not this again!!!

Race relations in MS are essentially the same as race relations in the rest of the US.

Now lets continue with 10 pages of posts from new posters with a chip on their shoulder, or those whose sole knowledge of the south comes from watching "Dukes of Hazzard" reruns, or those that have been living under a rock since the 1960s. I know it's going to happen...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,132,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
And for all the "good ol boys" in this state, I am somewhat surprised that Mississippi doesn't have a single NASCAR event. Putting up a track and bleachers isn't super expensive.
There are a few stock car tracks in Mississippi, Magnolia Motor Speedway is one of them. I hear it's good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not this again!!!

Race relations in MS are essentially the same as race relations in the rest of the US.

Now lets continue with 10 pages of posts from new posters with a chip on their shoulder, or those whose sole knowledge of the south comes from watching "Dukes of Hazzard" reruns, or those that have been living under a rock since the 1960s. I know it's going to happen...
The Dukes of Hazzard never portrayed the south as racist, hokey yes, but not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi