U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 PM

177 posts, read 438,525 times

Advertisements

I love Charleston and Savannah, but wondered if there are any small towns in Mississippi that have that decaying, historic architecture and trees with Spanish moss like those areas? I've priced housing in both areas and really looking for something cheaper -- I work from home so I can be remote from cities, but just want to keep my expenses as low as possible. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM

17,666 posts, read 10,419,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
I love Charleston and Savannah, but wondered if there are any small towns in Mississippi that have that decaying, historic architecture and trees with Spanish moss like those areas? I've priced housing in both areas and really looking for something cheaper -- I work from home so I can be remote from cities, but just want to keep my expenses as low as possible. Thanks!
I have seen the town you describe, but not in MIssissippi.

Take a map and start in Thomasville, GA. Go West to Bainbridge, and then work your way South and West into Florida. Stay North of I-10. Some of those town are so well positioned and pretty that I was tempted to just stop and buy a house. BY the time you get to Pensacola, though, the party is over, IMO.

Spanish moss, older homes and government facilities, slow moving traffic, kids in the street, and no real growth are the things that make that area attractive to me. Bainbridge isn't much, but Thomasville is. I-10 captured all the traffic and commerce years ago, and the beach areas South of I-10 remain the attraction. If you like Savannah and Charleston, but are reluctant to pay $500,000 for one of those nifty downtown Charleston townhouses, you may like the Ga/FL/AL area.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM

I'm going to be doing nursing work via telephone from home, and cannot live in Florida, GA or Alabama due to licensing requirements. Has to be SC, NC, Mississippi, Tennessee or Kentucky

Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM

80 posts, read 937,797 times
What a nice thread to start! I have always been interested in these sort of things. I can't suggest anywhere, I live on the Coast and no where around here is like that! I would love it if there were though. Anyway, check out this website misspreservation.com it's a very nice site and talks about tons of historic buildings, homes, and towns in Mississippi. Have you tried looking in Natchez or Aberdeen? Lots of historics there if im not mistaken. You can communicate with others who visit the page and they may be able to help you also. But I strongly suggest visiting the website, I love it. Good luck with your search! Ill be checking back as I'm curious to see any other suggestions. One day I will own a beautiful historic southern home

Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 PM

44 posts, read 92,931 times
Holly Springs has lots of antebellum homes as well as homes built from 1880 to 1920. Some of these are for sale cheap. The deal is that the public school is all black and many whites are leaving because they don't want to pay private school tuition.

You can get a decent house for under 60k, a very nice house for under 120k, and virtually any house in town for 200k save for a couple of mansions. There are a few other communities in Mississippi with similar pricing structure.

No Spanish moss, though.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM

3,253 posts, read 4,360,754 times
Natchez may be a good town for that sort of vibe.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM

432 posts, read 1,411,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
Have you tried looking in Natchez or Aberdeen?
Agree with Natchez, but Aberdeen doesn't have much; Columbus would be a better bet.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,739,694 times
Natchez is the most like Charleston and Savannah with Vicksburg probably second.

Also McComb, Brookhaven, Columbia, Port Gibson, Laurel, Corinth, Greenwood, Carrollton, Kosciusko, and Columbus all have their own character.

Oxford does but it's not decaying in any way. Canton, Holly Springs, Moss Point and Yazoo City have some character also but a little too run down.

Pass Chrisitan , Bay St Louis and Ocean Springs are too beautiful and don't fit your gothic feeling requirements. Same for Brookhaven.

I would say of all those...for the gothic with Spanish moss, huge draping live oaks, and dripping with humidity, but it's own unique feel, while Natchez is obvious, I think elegant Laurel, cozy Columbia on the Pearl, and rail town McComb have that Deep Southern feel. You're still in Mississippi's wooded hills but psychologically you can almost smell the gulf and taste the New Orleans food once you get that far south, about an hour south of Jackson.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post

Oxford does but it's not decaying in any way. Canton, Holly Springs, Moss Point and Yazoo City have some character also but a little too run down.
Honey, I lived in Detroit and loved it... there is no such thing as "too run down" for this girl.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,739,694 times
Interesting, well if you like historic and dripping with sense of place but remote and perhaps decaying is just fine...I would put Port Gibson on the list for sure...It's like Charleston or Savannah if they only had 1 or 2 streets. Carrollton is kind of like that also.

I do think Columbia has that dripping southern feel but it's a little bigger, about 6,000 people and 30 minutes from a larger city. If you like historic but run down in parts, Vicksburg is really cool in that way. Big turn of the century mansions and shotgun shacks all mixed together. Canton is very historic and very run down so you might like that. Same for Moss Point except its next the Pascagoula river marsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi