U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:58 AM

130 posts, read 113,510 times
tennreb,

Do you mind elaborating on exactly which "subsidies" the rich white man is receiving from the Government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 PM

376 posts, read 1,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
tennreb,

Do you mind elaborating on exactly which "subsidies" the rich white man is receiving from the Government?
Farm subsidies

Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM

130 posts, read 113,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Farm subsidies
Wow, That narrows it down.Truth be told they work a blue collar job and work there buns off for a wage and are not getting rich from the Government.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 AM

37 posts, read 142,238 times
Yellow is difficult to see on me poor eyes!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,389 times
I would like to start a non for profit for the Jonestown, ms area. The focus of the .org would be to offer transportation to the residents. To get back and forth to School. We will help them with obtaining there high school deploma / GED. After that we will help them with college or a skill trade. They will also have to take a class of finacial peace university which is a video based program by Author Dave Ramsey. After gaining employment for one year we will build them a house through habitat for humanity on a 15 year fixed rate morgage. With this non for profit. You are helping them with education, a degree or skilled trade, how tm manage there money and make money work for them. which intern they can gain employment. I believe this is the way to stop the curse. If you have any ideas or would like to join me in this great blessing and venture please write me back asap.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
Default Help for Jonestown and the Delta

As a Delta resident for 77 years, I can tell you for sure that "tennreb" and "proudtobeanamerican" have hit the nail on the head. These poor people that some of you are bleeding over are the same ones who destroyed all the small towns of the Delta. They are third world in every way, too stupid and dumb to even make any effort to do anything more than waiting for a government handout. They are all so "poor", yet they all have cell phones hanging from their ears, thousands of dollars worth of fancy junk including the loudest sound systems available in their automobiles. Millions of dollars have come into this area to help the disadvantaged start a business of some kind. A few dollars is spent on the business and the rest goes into the person's pocket. Then the business is never opened. These are the main reasons I plan to leave my life long home. We property owners are facing ever increasing taxes to take care of the leeches.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 AM

947 posts, read 3,249,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsoutherner View Post
As a Delta resident for 77 years, I can tell you for sure that "tennreb" and "proudtobeanamerican" have hit the nail on the head. These poor people that some of you are bleeding over are the same ones who destroyed all the small towns of the Delta. They are third world in every way, too stupid and dumb to even make any effort to do anything more than waiting for a government handout. They are all so "poor", yet they all have cell phones hanging from their ears, thousands of dollars worth of fancy junk including the loudest sound systems available in their automobiles. Millions of dollars have come into this area to help the disadvantaged start a business of some kind. A few dollars is spent on the business and the rest goes into the person's pocket. Then the business is never opened. These are the main reasons I plan to leave my life long home. We property owners are facing ever increasing taxes to take care of the leeches.
I used to live in a small Mississippi Delta and worked for the LITTLE AM radio station there, in a town of only 1550 people.. Marks! The person describing Jonestown, well.. it sounded like Marks, but Marks being on a smaller scale then Jonestown!

Marks had a fire several years ago that ruined several prominent "main street" buildings in town and none were ever rebuilt.

It's the COUNTY seat too, as far as I know.

And oh, that little AM radio station? It's about to lose it's license and no one will ever be able to get it back due to strict FCC regulations concerning daytime only broadcast stations.. and the county loses it's only radio outlet.

oh well... no wonder I call the place "Miss-a-sloppy" now lol

Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,153,558 times
I'm not from this area (in fact, Im not even from your state) but these conditions that you described are just horrible. I blame it on the welfare system. Could we imagine, for a moment, what would happen if all benefits were cut off cold turkey? Would that bring more crime? Would that force people to find work? What do you think?

Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,893,676 times
I have a couple things to address.

I agree, people need to be motivated to do something productive for themelves. One of the problems is the fact that the government has handed out relief for these people for generations. The lack of work ethic is not just one or two generations, it goes back much further. The cycle must be broken, and to do that starts with education. Unfortunately, I do think it will start with the children, I can't see the adults suddenly deciding to go to school so they can go to work. Why should they with all the handouts they are receiving from the government? Yes, they are poor, poorer than most, but without the driving force of motivation to get them moving, they will not budge. They do not want to budge.

But, if something can be done to start educating the children, and maybe make it mandatory that these children go to these schools in order for the parents to get aid, there will be a change in the next ten or so years.

Take a good look at our state. We are divided on economic boundaries quite plainly. The Northern half of the state is a thriving area built on long and hard hours of manufacturing jobs, furniture mainly, and with that being shipped to China, area leaders pulled together to work together to create new opportunities for workers who are or who will soon be without their jobs.
Toyota is building a new production plant here, two miles from my home. 2000 jobs will be available from this plant, and about that many from tier one to three suppliers and surrounding business opportunities.

Now, take a look at just below Columbus and draw a line across the state. you get into the delta, no manufacturing jobs, not much of anything till you get to the Southern half of our state and over to Jackson. This lack of economic development in this area is quite frankly mind boggling, until you start to look at the potential work force for these types of jobs.

The mindset of the people who live here is the same as up to three generations ago. Government support gets them just enough to get by on and they are satisfied with that.

The children who are just now getting school age are the potential future for this undeveloped area. If our government could see that education is the key, maybe some type of system could be set into place to encourage them to become motivated enough to send their children to a charter school where not only education is taught, but motivation and self reliance can be taught.

Mississippi has thriving areas, and it has extreme poverty. Almost like it is two different countries. Until we can get education into this area enough to change peoples lives, it will unfortunately stay the same.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,893,676 times
I would like to point out something. Unless the rules are different in the delta than they are here in the Northern part of the state, gaining grant money should be quite easy.

The reason I state this is because I have worked on obtaining grant monies for our local water system and the criteria for getting a grant is based on income and on race if you can believe it. We tried for 7 years to get a grant for desperately needed well and tank because we were ordered to by the MSDH and were being citied for not doing the required upgrades. We failed to get the grant based on the fact that our area was predominately white with few other races living in this area.

So, it would seem to me that there would be plenty of grant monies available to get some infrastructure imporvements in these areas which would create jobs and take some of these people off the streets.

Now, this I have witnessed with my own two eyes, as far as obtaining grant monies. I cannot for the life of me believe that a state funded school is still being segrated. Could it be that there are no white children in the area? Or that the white children who are there are going to another school by choice?

I also want to add that I was a personnel director at one time and was told time and again that "we can make more money having babies and sitting on the couch than what you are wanting to pay us".

This type of attitude does not bode well for prospective employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi