U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,455,896 times

Advertisements

You might find this of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/us...anted=all&_r=0
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM

17,864 posts, read 10,490,878 times
I did find it of interest. And I sent it to my grandson, who has accepted a full scholarship to Ole Miss on the condition that he teach in Mississippi for 5 years after graduation.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,342,404 times
That was interesting. My wife still has family and friends in Helena-West Helena. We both grew up spending a LOT of time in Greenville.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM

I wonder when Blanche Devereaux - AKA "Grandview Gloria" - will comment on this.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder when Blanche Devereaux - AKA "Grandview Gloria" - will comment on this.
I had her pictured as more of a Ouiser ("I'm not as sweet as I used to be")Boudreaux type. But, no matter, the Indomitable Choctaw will surface soon, I am sure.....

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

778 posts, read 922,137 times
good article, the delta is a fascinating area, if i was in a traveling/driving mode it would be up there on my list.

better i not go since i am an arrogant canuck...i even look down on new-englanders,ny ers and pretty much everyone...i know y'all can smell that down there

Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM

The Delta Dairy is in Cleveland's old Grover Hotel in Cleveland, which has been remodeled into condos. I don't know how long Mr. Bengloff will stay in business, because I think he charges Manhattan prices.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
...........better i not go since .............
Better, I think, ya go, but good, I s'pose, if ya don't speak.

It would hurt our ears.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,238,069 times
I didn't realize TFA was still operating. That's pretty cool, and something those towns need.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,529,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had her pictured as more of a Ouiser ("I'm not as sweet as I used to be")Boudreaux type. But, no matter, the Indomitable Choctaw will surface soon, I am sure.....
Is my presence being invoked?

No sooner had I read posts 308 and 309 on the Greenville thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/missi...-costs-31.html, than I felt myself being summoned like a demon... Those posts address this very topic.

Interesting who's been successful teaching in the Delta, and who is being stonewalled and abused. Apparently, the group who have entrenched themselves in "Education" are not normally allowing-in, people who don't look like themselves. Reminds me of the current situations with the transit systems in Atlanta and DC. However, considering the last names of the happy teachers in the Times article, the entrenched group does seem to fear discriminating against my tribe. (the one I gatecrashed: not the tribe I grew up in)

Are the New Yorkers just scary and pushy enough to intimidate the Dufusini running the school districts? Do the last names scare School Superintendents? Both? Does someone smell New York grant money? Do the school bureaucrats think the New Yorkers are of a certain ethnic persuasion which puts them in a position to tell someone powerful, if they are treated in the ways described in those posts on the 'Avoid Greenville' thread? (those posts are completely in-line with horror stories I've been hearing for the last two decades)

Are those doing the hiring thinking, "We can slap regular whites around any way we want. But we better not mess with those J...." ? (Cause maybe they know somebody at the New York Times, or be cousins with a federal judge, or something like that...)

I'd like to know what the difference is: why some ultra-qualified teachers are encouraged by the current educational establishment in the region, while most seem to be deliberately traumatized and repelled.

Thank you, Listener, for upgrading my image from Blanche Devereaux to Ouiser Boudreax status. That's more accurate (I had to look at clips of Ouiser, and it took a while to decide). But they're still both oldish White ladies. This is closer to the real me, if we're picking fictional characters: Betty, Braces Off! - Ugly Betty - 4x17 - YouTube (I mean, I'm not even fifty, yet...)

Scrub off the makeup, and substitute a Graduated Bob Cut for the long curls (with a colder palette of blacks than Betty's more economical monotone russet Cellophane coating), lose the heels and put me in flats, and you wouldn't even have to change the dress.

And unlike Ouiser Boudreaux, Little Gloria would not be having a locker room surprise. If I bought a football team, I'd so so with the specific intent of using that as a pretext for invading the locker room and getting an eyeful. But okaaaay.... I do see certain commonalities between Ouizer and Myself.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-03-2013 at 01:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi