U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,713 times
Default Denver to Hattiesburg

Hi, everyone.

So, I'm moving to Hattiesburg in a couple of weeks from Denver. Single, early 30s, no kids, non-religious, progressive-left politically. What are some things I need to know, see, do? I'm going to be here a while, I think, so I'd like to absorb the local flavor. I'm interested in history, outdoors recreation, any sort of cultural happenings, live music, good local eating. I will also be spending a lot of time in Laurel, if anyone knows a bit about that. I'm a bit of a night owl, too, so if there are any sort of interesting bars/clubs, I'd love to know about them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 AM

1,941 posts, read 1,601,008 times
This is probably enough to get you started:
New South Restaurant Group

But I'll throw out a few more things, since I just switched to another cardio machine and am not feeling sleepy, yet:

Hattiesburg's the only place in the state where Gay people aren't miserable. And it's the happiest city in the state for everybody-in-general.

People there are vastly more individualistic than in other Mississippi towns.

Canebrake is where the very rich live. The intellectuals live near the University, as do the Skittle Munchers. Yes, there is conflict.

The U keeps things filled with cultural possibilities.

Lots of people of all genders and preferences have wild and torrid affairs in Hattiesburg. And when things are revealed, everyone handles things remarkably well. In Jackson, by comparison, affairs and marriages end rather horribly Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release - Mississippi Business Journal.

Lots of the doctors are Gay in Hattiesburg, or end up that way. I could show you which real estate listings are results of those revelations, but I won't.

Someone told me, "Those woods in South Mississippi have always been full of Lesbians." I have no idea what that actually means. But it's a comforting thought, somehow. And if it prevents the Wild Russian Boars, meth labs, and pot-growing operations found in the woods elsewhere in the state, then I think it's a wonderful thing.

The beaches out from Pensacola are not far from Hattiesburg. That's the un-sleazy part of Florida, and the beaches are gorgeous. Deep sea fishing is available on the Mississippi coast, and in extreme South Louisiana.

Saint Tammany Parish has a lot of outdoor possibilities (including two nudist camps whose names I do not know). I'd guess that most New Orleans Mafia yachts are now kept at Mandeville or Madisonville facilities. The waterside bar/restaurant for the best yacht-watching is 'Friends', in Madisonville. Friends restaurant in Madisonville to be rebuilt next year | wwltv.com New Orleans Anyway, Lake Ponchartrain is great for sailing, etc. There are various streams in the region great for paddling-around in, and I think people still do 'Tubing' on the Tangipahoah.

New Orleans is not far. It is very dangerous, however, and do not go alone, the first few times - until you know the layout and the scary parts. I'd imagine the closest Gay bars worth anyone's while are in New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, and Miami. Sorry, but that's what I hear. Well, actually, I hear the last good one is in Positano or on Pantelleria or Ibiza or somewhere... but that's from my kids, who just go to dance.... In any event, "Grinder" works in Hattiesburg... and even in Purvis...Even in gyms, from the looks of things... Amerika Goniff!.

Yes, somebody's already thought of doing an ad campaign with a "Hattie". Unfortunately, however, they used a beauty queen in a tiara, rather than a Zelda Rubinstein type in a great hat. That would have been fun.

There's a local plastic surgeon who's an international fitness model.

I'm finally getting sleepy now...

Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM

836 posts, read 1,183,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
This is probably enough to get you started:
New South Restaurant Group

But I'll throw out a few more things, since I just switched to another cardio machine and am not feeling sleepy, yet:

Hattiesburg's the only place in the state where Gay people aren't miserable. And it's the happiest city in the state for everybody-in-general.

People there are vastly more individualistic than in other Mississippi towns.

Canebrake is where the very rich live. The intellectuals live near the University, as do the Skittle Munchers. Yes, there is conflict.

The U keeps things filled with cultural possibilities.

Lots of people of all genders and preferences have wild and torrid affairs in Hattiesburg. And when things are revealed, everyone handles things remarkably well. In Jackson, by comparison, affairs and marriages end rather horribly Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release - Mississippi Business Journal.

Lots of the doctors are Gay in Hattiesburg, or end up that way. I could show you which real estate listings are results of those revelations, but I won't.

Someone told me, "Those woods in South Mississippi have always been full of Lesbians." I have no idea what that actually means. But it's a comforting thought, somehow. And if it prevents the Wild Russian Boars, meth labs, and pot-growing operations found in the woods elsewhere in the state, then I think it's a wonderful thing.

The beaches out from Pensacola are not far from Hattiesburg. That's the un-sleazy part of Florida, and the beaches are gorgeous. Deep sea fishing is available on the Mississippi coast, and in extreme South Louisiana.

Saint Tammany Parish has a lot of outdoor possibilities (including two nudist camps whose names I do not know). I'd guess that most New Orleans Mafia yachts are now kept at Mandeville or Madisonville facilities. The waterside bar/restaurant for the best yacht-watching is 'Friends', in Madisonville. Friends restaurant in Madisonville to be rebuilt next year | wwltv.com New Orleans Anyway, Lake Ponchartrain is great for sailing, etc. There are various streams in the region great for paddling-around in, and I think people still do 'Tubing' on the Tangipahoah.

New Orleans is not far. It is very dangerous, however, and do not go alone, the first few times - until you know the layout and the scary parts. I'd imagine the closest Gay bars worth anyone's while are in New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, and Miami. Sorry, but that's what I hear. Well, actually, I hear the last good one is in Positano or on Pantelleria or Ibiza or somewhere... but that's from my kids, who just go to dance.... In any event, "Grinder" works in Hattiesburg... and even in Purvis...Even in gyms, from the looks of things... Amerika Goniff!.

Yes, somebody's already thought of doing an ad campaign with a "Hattie". Unfortunately, however, they used a beauty queen in a tiara, rather than a Zelda Rubinstein type in a great hat. That would have been fun.

There's a local plastic surgeon who's an international fitness model.

I'm finally getting sleepy now...
Sounds like an episode of Nip/Tuck with a gaudy southern flair...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

433 posts, read 240,408 times
Your probably going to want to head down to New Orleans a lot which is only about a hour and a half or to Biloxi which is about an hour. Because Hattiesburg is not liberal, it is religious and by religious I mean Christian. It is your typical deep south mid-size ctiy/town. You will find a few people who share your leanings but not many. Try University of Southern Mississippi. Most universities tend to be liberal and Southern Miss is probably the most liberal of the big 3. So I would try meeting people there. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,566,835 times
Depends a bit on your reason for being in Hattiesburg. Student, business, visiting...because that may dictate to some extent your experiences. Your political leanings are unimportant unless you have a need for lots of political activism. Downtown living may offer the music/club scene you want and the Okatoma River and Black Creek offer floats and canoeing. Golf, tennis, and university sports are popular. Triangle seafood, Half-Shell restaurant, Crescent City, Mexican Kitchen, and Georgia Blue are popular eating spots.
And C'est la Vie is a fabulous French bakery. Breadsmith has good fresh breads, scones, and sweet rolls. There are some interesting farmer markets also. Be sure to visit the Camp Shelby Armed Forces Museum and go on the Freedom Summer Trail. The university has the Payne Center for fitness and there are lots of walk-in type gyms. Anatomies is probably the more hip spot for exercise but a bit away from town center.
Good luck!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 3,368 times
To the op known as c_mart, the way you describe yourself, you are everything the stereotypical Mississippian isn't. My tip to you, if you're moving from Colorado to Mississippi, be prepared for a major culture shock in ways you never imagined. Hattiesburg is considered one of the most liberal areas in Mississippi. If Hattiesburg was in Colorado, it would be the most conservative area in Colorado, and not in a good way. A much different type of conservatism than say, Colorado Springs, which would be considered liberal in Mississippi.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot stirrer View Post
To the op known as c_mart, the way you describe yourself, you are everything the stereotypical Mississippian isn't. My tip to you, if you're moving from Colorado to Mississippi, be prepared for a major culture shock in ways you never imagined. Hattiesburg is considered one of the most liberal areas in Mississippi. If Hattiesburg was in Colorado, it would be the most conservative area in Colorado, and not in a good way. A much different type of conservatism than say, Colorado Springs, which would be considered liberal in Mississippi.
I agree with your post but I do not know if Hattiesburg would be the most liberal city in the state. Gulfport, Biloxi, Desoto County, Starkville, and Jackson are probably more liberal. But as you said there are no truly liberal cities in Mississippi.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 3,368 times
I didn't say Hattiesburg was the most liberal place in Mississippi, I said it was one of the most liberal areas in Mississippi. ONE of the most liberal places, not THE most liberal. There's a difference there. The word "one" makes the differences.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot stirrer View Post
I didn't say Hattiesburg was the most liberal place in Mississippi, I said it was one of the most liberal areas in Mississippi. ONE of the most liberal places, not THE most liberal. There's a difference there. The word "one" makes the differences.
I'd put Hattiesburg seventh after the cities and county I named and Oxford.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,713 times
Hi, again.

Thanks to you all for your advice. It's all been helpful (even the bizarre parts; GrandviewGloria, I am looking in your direction). I am visiting MS for a couple of days, and man are there a lot of trees! I am not used to so much green. It's awesome. I guess the political thing isn't too important, as I know how to smile and nod when necessary.

On another note, can anyone tell me if Laurel is worth living in, or should I stick to Hattiesburg? It seems okay, but I've been in town for a total of three hours, so.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi