U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 34,453 times

Advertisements

I may be staring a job in Memphis but heard that memphis is not a very good place to raise a family. So I have heard try looking in northern mississippi. If anyone could give me some ideal places it would be much appreciated. I'm looking for a small town or countryish area with good schools. Without getting to expensive. Around 100,000 area. I'm not sure what kind of houses you can get down there with that but I'm sure is a good start. Like to beable to go fishing and off roading with dirtbikes some where close if possible. Thanks for idieas and comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM

382 posts, read 971,967 times
Allow me to recommend these two locations for you. Hernando is as far south from Memphis as you want to look and is still somewhat rural. Horn Lake is quickly becoming a suburb of Memphis. You can also find info. from City Data's main page on these locations. Hope this will give you a start.

Hernando, MS:

Welcome to Hernando, Mississippi
Hernando, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hernando, Mississippi (MS) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Horn Lake, MS:

The City of Horn Lake, Mississippi
City of Horn Lake, Mississippi : Information Resources for Horn Lake Residents and Visitors. (http://www.hornlakemississippi.com/ - broken link)
Horn Lake, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Horn Lake, Mississippi (MS) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

BTW, welcome to City-Data. Bunch of great folks reside here with lots of information, and they are not afraid to speak their minds.

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/9.gif (broken link)

Last edited by SassyGirl2; 11-14-2007 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Added CD links

Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM

78 posts, read 354,477 times
Hernando would be very nice, but doubtful if you can find a house in the 100K range. I live in an older subdivision where the houses are modest & about 40 years old. There are 2 on my street for sale & the asking price is $140K
Northwood Hills (the newest part) has houses for $175K to over $200K.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 AM

9 posts, read 34,453 times
What is the average pay or income around there? It seems it must be decent since houses are selling in that price range. Seems odd since you don't hear of many unions down there.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM

78 posts, read 354,477 times
I honestly don't know where folks are getting all the money.
It amazes me to hear new people that come here from other states talking about paying $400K & more, then gripe about high car tags. There is a house on Ferguson St that is up for $650K
When I came here in the early 70s a high dollar house cost $35K
I paid $21K for mine
You may find some less expensive houses in Horn Lake

Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 25,495 times
Default N. Mississippi options

gosh, are there places in the U.S. that have decent housing for $100k?
I live in a rural area of NW Miss. that is dotted with trailer homes and a few older brick homes, as well as some modest new ones popping up here and there, yet the house down the road from me was being sold for $115k and they didn't even have central air! It was only a 2 bd., 1bath. Personally, I think it was way overpriced, but I don't know the final sales price.

Even I'm asking more than $100k for mine ($124k) but it's a 3 bdr., 1.5 bath and has 3 garages, central heat and air, and 3 acres, whereas that house had only one acre (not that I'm trying to sell it to you...I don't think you'd want to commute. Memphis is 35 min. away, but that's just to the city limit).

The closest real subdivision with new homes is 8 miles northwest of me. Those homes are all on at least an acre and are all two stories and 3 or 4 bdrms...They're all $250-350k, and I thought that was cheap considering they're new.

What are you looking for in a house? Southaven is closer than Hernando, cheaper than Olive Branch, and has some cheaper houses for sure, probably in your range. It's also close to Whitehaven (memphis) though, which is very high crime and poor.
But, at least you get out of Memphis and Shelby county absurd taxes in Southaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi