U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,988,780 times

Advertisements

Judge to Sikh Man: Remove "That Rag"

What's wrong with this state...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM

17,936 posts, read 10,520,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Judge to Sikh Man: Remove "That Rag"

What's wrong with this state...
Ah. The Cootie Principle.

Someone shows up again to condemn an entire state of 2, 985,000 people because someone in their state is a nit wit. We did that in the fifth grade as we all ran helter skelter from this person or that person claiming they had cooties, and Hyperion evidently has not learned that there is no such thing as a cootie.

Poor Hyperion. Matters not that the Pike County Board of Supervisors, a body consisting of a greater portion of the state than a single judge, has found the judge's behavior unacceptable, the main point to Hyperion is that someone in Mississippi acted like an idiot. Therefore something must be wrong with the state.
I'm wagering that Hyperion's field of study is not mathematics.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,988,780 times
Mathematics? I am assuming you mean Statistics. You can actually make a significant study with a sample size (n) of 13.

It's not just a single judge if you actually read the article (which I'm assuming you didn't). It was the judge following up on the officers (who are supposed to protect and serve) that completely humiliated him in the first place. Also, it's not just one "nit wit". It's supposed to be a well-educated, impartial arbiter of justice representing his jurisdiction. And if you think he IS a nit wit, the fact that he is a JUDGE is a pretty bad reflection on the general intelligence of the people in the state of Mississippi.

Then we have the original issue of the football players and the play last week.

Boy, I seem to see a trend here. Even if it's only, say 10% of the state which is racist, intolerant, and xenophobic I can still say there's something "wrong" with the state.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Anyone so delusional (or incapable of introspection) as to consider himself immune to media-delivered Operant Conditioning is truly a useful tool of the Reigning Orthodoxy.

I've been conditioned. You've been conditioned. We've all been conditioned.
Oh, so true.

Not to aim criticism at Sandi, but note that she referenced security, and asked if there was security present. It's a sign of conditioning, I think, when we ask about security at a college play. A sign of the times. A sign of the "learned helplessness" referenced in another thread.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM

3,438 posts, read 5,055,102 times
I love the way southerners describe a lesbian...." beeeeewl dawk "

Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM

3,253 posts, read 4,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I love the way southerners describe a lesbian...." beeeeewl dawk "
Sorry if I'm jumping in late here, and as a prospective (and hopeful) future student of Ole Miss.

What in God's name are you talking about?

Last edited by Desert kid; 10-10-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Sorry if I'm jumping in late here, and as a prospective (and hopeful) future student of Ole Miss.

What God's name are you talking about?

Now THERE'S a good question!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post

What in God's name are you talking about?

A southerner pronounces " b.u.l.l.d.y.k.e. " ...................." beeeeeeewl dawk "

Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,532,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
A southerner pronounces " b.u.l.l.d.y.k.e. " ...................." beeeeeeewl dawk "
Actually, Southern accents vary as widely as did the accents in the Edwardian London depicted in My Fair Lady. They vary with social class, location, religion, gender, and race. A Baptist accent in Itta Bena is not going to sound at all like the accents of the Episcopalians across the road, even though the two families have lived on adjacent plantations for a century. And neither will sound like their Maids - who will sound unlike their husbands, the Tractor Drivers (and who go to a church whose name ends in 'Tabernacle'). The Baptist lady will not sound like her husband, and the Episcopalian husband will not sound like his wife (even if they made a 'good' marriage, to members of their own sub-race/economic bracket/social circle). In the Deep South, men who pronounce words like their female equivalents are not manly enough. The have to have separate accents. You'll have to drive to Greenville, and visit the hyperintellectual Alasatian Jews in Gamwyn Park and Wilzin Park, to hear men and women who do not exaggerate sexual dimorphism through their speech (I assume there are a few left).

The better Scots-descended Methodists and Presbyterians can sound like similar people in Upstate New York.

My own lower-than-White-Trash accent sounded like a cross between the Haley-Barbour-rocks-in-the-mouth-WT-Hounddog-Twang, yodeling, and someone drowning. I have recordings, and they are gruesome. There's some doctor on Mississippi Public Radio, whose speech is almost that bad. Luckily, our University had a lab where DH and I could listen to recordings of the British Royals, and listen to ourselves imitating them... and imitating William F. Buckley... endlessly.... We coached each other for well over a decade, before we'd finally mastered the accents we knew we needed for escaping our old social class - and then, for escaping Mississippi (which latter objective, frankly, we'd forgotten about, until a mob of hysterical peasants - from a neighborhood with plastic fountains in the front yards, where one man was a child molester, and another household seemingly made their home-schooled kids so miserable one of them could bear this earthly realm no longer - mounted an aesthetic pogrom, which destroyed the Madison CVS).

Hollywood is oblivious to all of this subtlety of speech, of course, and movies have sub-Celtic Holyroller White Trash talking like Viking-English Episcopalian Aristocrats. Apparently, Hollywood folk are not the only ones who don't get it.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Speaking of lesbians, I like the way some Mississippians pronounce....." butch'

it comes out.............." booch "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi