Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,171,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I'm aiming on going into History and possibly education to go along with it.

I have no problems with living frugally, hell I work at a grocery store and I really don't have many extravagant things. All I would need is just a steady blue collar, or at least part time job and an affordable apartment.
This thread makes no sense.
  • You claim you want to go to graduate school at Ole Miss but your career plan is that you're "aiming on going into History and possibly education"??? What the hell will your undergrad degree be in? Basket weaving????
  • You think you're going to finance your graduate education with "just a steady blue collar, or at least part time job"??? Ummm, wouldn't someone with a bachelor's degree and pursuing a graduate degree aim for something just a little bit higher???
  • A BA in history is a virtually useless degree unless you plan on pursuing a career in academia, in law or in politics. A MA in history is hardly better, and having a PhD makes you largely "over qualified" for most, if not all, positions outside of academia.
  • Getting a full time, tenure track position, even at a community college, is tough because of the trend for almost all colleges to increasingly rely on poorly paid part-time or adjunct faculty. Been there, done that.
  • Investing years in getting a MA or PhD and then getting teaching credentials is doing it backasswards. You get the credentials in teaching social studies before you get a MA, and hope you can land a teaching gig so that you can pursue your graduate school ambitions. Been there, done that, too.
  • Unless you need graduate credits or degree to get permanent or improved teaching credentials, you shouldn't even consider graduate school for history without a fellowship or a graduate assistantship. That was true even when I was in grad school for history nearly 40 years ago!
I think your family may be right, not because you want to go to Ole Miss, but because you seem to be clueless. Why, for example, did you not post this in the education forum, specifically in the college and university subforum???

Frankly, you sound much more like a high schooler who wants to do his/her undergrad at Ole Miss than a current college student. You sound too vague about the important issues involved in selecting a graduate school, including such minor points as the quality of the school's program as well as your own GPA and test scores. Someone who wanted to pursue graduate studies in a particular discipline would also demonstrate more passion and commitment to the field than you've indicated here. You are much too worried about the community rather than the university itself, which is also strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Quote:
I'm aiming on going into History and possibly education to go along with it.

I have no problems with living frugally, hell I work at a grocery store and I really don't have many extravagant things. All I would need is just a steady blue collar, or at least part time job and an affordable apartment.
Why don't you consider nailing down a teaching certificate and teach while you work on your history studies?
Just think: You would be the only history teacher in most states who is not called "Coach".

Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,954,736 times
I usually say something like "C'mon you can do it!" or "Don't be a failure like your brother!"

Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,998,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This thread makes no sense.
  • You claim you want to go to graduate school at Ole Miss but your career plan is that you're "aiming on going into History and possibly education"??? What the hell will your undergrad degree be in? Basket weaving????
  • You think you're going to finance your graduate education with "just a steady blue collar, or at least part time job"??? Ummm, wouldn't someone with a bachelor's degree and pursuing a graduate degree aim for something just a little bit higher???
  • A BA in history is a virtually useless degree unless you plan on pursuing a career in academia, in law or in politics. A MA in history is hardly better, and having a PhD makes you largely "over qualified" for most, if not all, positions outside of academia.
  • Getting a full time, tenure track position, even at a community college, is tough because of the trend for almost all colleges to increasingly rely on poorly paid part-time or adjunct faculty. Been there, done that.
  • Investing years in getting a MA or PhD and then getting teaching credentials is doing it backasswards. You get the credentials in teaching social studies before you get a MA, and hope you can land a teaching gig so that you can pursue your graduate school ambitions. Been there, done that, too.
  • Unless you need graduate credits or degree to get permanent or improved teaching credentials, you shouldn't even consider graduate school for history without a fellowship or a graduate assistantship. That was true even when I was in grad school for history nearly 40 years ago!
I think your family may be right, not because you want to go to Ole Miss, but because you seem to be clueless. Why, for example, did you not post this in the education forum, specifically in the college and university subforum???

Frankly, you sound much more like a high schooler who wants to do his/her undergrad at Ole Miss than a current college student. You sound too vague about the important issues involved in selecting a graduate school, including such minor points as the quality of the school's program as well as your own GPA and test scores. Someone who wanted to pursue graduate studies in a particular discipline would also demonstrate more passion and commitment to the field than you've indicated here. You are much too worried about the community rather than the university itself, which is also strange.
I had a rough couple undergrad years. I was supposed to leave once before, didn't work out. My undergrad is in the IDS, it's essentially a business management degree. Look at some of my posting history for a broader view. It's been something very tenuous, if not antagonizing at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Why don't you consider nailing down a teaching certificate and teach while you work on your history studies?
Just think: You would be the only history teacher in most states who is not called "Coach".
Now that is an idea. I'm really going to have to play it by ear and see what happens by May. I've been talking to my councilor about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I usually say something like "C'mon you can do it!" or "Don't be a failure like your brother!"
I have a quote in mind from The Waterboy.

My sister and dad are talking about me right now in the next room, pretty much picking apart the financial situation on the whole thing.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:24 PM

OP: This thread makes a little more sense now.

First off, are you attending a private or public college? Living at home and commuting or living in a dorm/apartment? I ask because if you don't have a lot of debt, you might be able to swing (and tolerate) another semester or two at your current school or a nearby state school.

Ask your counselor what it would take to get your teaching credentials in business at your current college. It would be more marketable than social studies certification I think, although 9-12 math would be better. He/she should be able to give you an insight into what you need to get licensed in your own state, too. Most states require classes, some kind of practice teaching, and some exams.

You can also look up what it would take to get your teaching credentials in business in Mississippi. Search for "teaching license in Mississippi" or something like that. If you want to go to Ole Miss, you can always go as a post-graduate, ie, a graduate taking undergraduate courses for another degree, or in your case, your teacher's certificate/license.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
OP: This thread makes a little more sense now.

First off, are you attending a private or public college? Living at home and commuting or living in a dorm/apartment? I ask because if you don't have a lot of debt, you might be able to swing (and tolerate) another semester or two at your current school or a nearby state school.

Ask your counselor what it would take to get your teaching credentials in business at your current college. It would be more marketable than social studies certification I think, although 9-12 math would be better. He/she should be able to give you an insight into what you need to get licensed in your own state, too. Most states require classes, some kind of practice teaching, and some exams.

You can also look up what it would take to get your teaching credentials in business in Mississippi. Search for "teaching license in Mississippi" or something like that. If you want to go to Ole Miss, you can always go as a post-graduate, ie, a graduate taking undergraduate courses for another degree, or in your case, your teacher's certificate/license.
I'm living at home for the moment. The college I am "going" to is Arizona State University through a degree program, so I am around 6 months from my Bachelors. It's public.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm living at home for the moment. The college I am "going" to is Arizona State University through a degree program, so I am around 6 months from my Bachelors. It's public.
If you are serious about teaching, I would look into taking at least one intro education course next term if you have any electives. If your home situation is tolerable (and sometimes it's not for a lot of reasons), I'd stay at ASU to get the teaching credentials because it would be cheaper for you. The teaching exams are national, so they would likely count in Mississippi, too.

If you take an intro education course, and it doesn't seem like it's what you want to do, then I'd start looking for entry level jobs for college grads in Mississippi, perhaps sales or store manager etc. If you establish yourself as a state resident before you start taking classes, you'll save a lot of money on tuition. Many colleges and universities now have part-time MBA programs (as well as other programs) for adults who work full time.

I think an MBA would be a better investment for grad school than History. If you are a detail oriented person, you might also consider taking enough accounting courses to get an accounting job, which are always in demand.

You may have to get your GPA up somewhat in order to get into an MBA program, which why I suggested the additional accounting courses.

Again, good luck.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
If you are serious about teaching, I would look into taking at least one intro education course next term if you have any electives. If your home situation is tolerable (and sometimes it's not for a lot of reasons), I'd stay at ASU to get the teaching credentials because it would be cheaper for you. The teaching exams are national, so they would likely count in Mississippi, too.

If you take an intro education course, and it doesn't seem like it's what you want to do, then I'd start looking for entry level jobs for college grads in Mississippi, perhaps sales or store manager etc. If you establish yourself as a state resident before you start taking classes, you'll save a lot of money on tuition. Many colleges and universities now have part-time MBA programs (as well as other programs) for adults who work full time.

I think an MBA would be a better investment for grad school than History. If you are a detail oriented person, you might also consider taking enough accounting courses to get an accounting job, which are always in demand.

You may have to get your GPA up somewhat in order to get into an MBA program, which why I suggested the additional accounting courses.

Again, good luck.
In regards to this I have been talking to my councilor and we will be visiting at the end of the month.

I brought up Ole Miss and Texas, so we'll see but it doesn't seem as insurmountable as I thought it would be. So I'll consider the options you've shown.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 PM

822 posts, read 2,197,641 times
If you have grown up in AZ it will be good for you to move to Mississippi or somewhere else across the country. Doing this will teach you to live in a new culture (even if it's just a different US culture) and it will help you see that things are viewed differently all over our country. I grew up in Kentucky which is for the most part in my opinion a southern state. When I moved out west to New Mexico for the first time it was a big shock to me that things weren't like they were in Ky simply b/c living in Ky was all I had known. At first I wanted to run back to what was familiar, however I stuck it out and learned to live and even thrive in the culture of the western US and now I live in southern Nevada and don't wish to return east. Of all of my friends that I grew up with the one's that seem the most well rounded and well developed are the one's who moved away from home and their native culture and had to learn to live in a new culture. They seem to be a lot more accepting of people who are different than them and their overall survival seems to be better developed b/c they had to adapt to a new environment. A non-serious movie that actually illustrates this entire scenario is the movie "Son In Law" with Paulie Shore and Carla Gugino. In the movie Rebecca (Carla) has grown up in rural South Dakota and only ever know South Dakota. She gets into a University in Los Angeles, Ca and attends b/c she wants to try something new. She almost loses it and returns home b/c she is measuring the culture of So Cal against what she considers to be the norm in South Dakota.

Last edited by Juxtaposition109; 10-26-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Juxtaposition's post is full of wisdom. Somehow, people seem to become smaller as they age unless they have experienced different cultures.

Some years back - around 1980, I think - there was a survey which revealed that nearly 70% of the people in Mississippi had never lived anywhere but Mississippi. It's not quite as bad as that now, I think, but it is still high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi