Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 21,656 times

Advertisements

I am considering accepting a position in Oxford. We have lived in Alaska for 20 years. I am originally from the south (North Louisiana). My question is this: Do you have any recommendations on good communities within a 30 min drive of downtown Oxford? I would even consider 45 min commute if it was worth it. In order to make this transition as smooth as possible, it would be best that my husband llive in a rural area. Even Oxford is going to be too big for him. LOL We also have 3 kids 6, 9, 12. Any good leads on good school districts? Thanks alot for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Sardis Lake is very close to Oxford. Google map is showing me NOTHING, and Google Image isn't showing much I can pin down as a house actually with a view of the lake. And the realty listings are so "inclusive" (probably downright misleading) I can't make out much from them, either. That lake would be the natural choice, if homes were available there.

It's a pretty lake, even if the name is beyond hideous. There is no way, in any Mississippi accent, you can pronounce that awful name in a way that doesn't sound scummy. I mean, how do you market something whose name combines a 'Hard R' and two hissy 'S' sounds? But then, Jackson's bodies of water were afflicted with names like "Lake Hico" (a play, presumably, on 'Hinds County') and "The Ross Barnett Reservoir" (this all happened AFTER the Bible-thumpin', lynch-mobbin' White Trash wrested control of the state from the Aristocrats. These names reflect white-trashy "tastes" - just wait 'til you hear the locals pronounce 'reservoir' - And it's bad enough that the name 'Pearl River' summons images of Minnie Pearl, and the Beverly Hillbillies' Cousin Pearl.)

Anyway, if you want a fine historic home, at a bargain price, and don't mind diversity, then Holly Springs is the ticket. The local intelligentsia and elites will welcome you with open ar.... - OK, who am I kidding? They will be as nice as people who went to Ole Miss can be, to people who are not exactly like themselves. But they will be motivated, more than usual, to accept you, if you are willing to restore an Antebellum cottage.

Communities to the east of Oxford will be whiter, and leaning toward Native American (hybrids). New Albany has a lot going for it, and quite a wonderful history.

And then, the woods, in every direction, out from Oxford, will be dotted with A-frames, "Fine Brick Dream Homes" --- all sorts of houses built by professors, out in the countryside. And, just a wild guess.... there will also be 'rustic lodges' built by wealthy 'Football Booster' gentlemen, as places where they might commune with 'Football Standouts' they'd taken... um... as proteges. (I knew one big, muscular oil man. who'd 'mentored' so many Ole Miss 'football standouts', he was formally forbidden, by some committee, to do so, ever again... well... after he lost his money. If he'd stayed rich, I'm sure his place at the All-Beef Smorgasbord would have remained assured. That's how things work in Mississippi.)

So, it's just a matter of combing the forests for the property of your dreams. Most will be fixer-uppers. Some will be "fresh as a slice of Blueberry Pie". Prices will reflect condition, stylishness, and whether-or-not they have recently been used as meth labs.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-06-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
Default I will try and clarify what I believe Gloria distorted.

After much criticism from Gloria I will be frank with you. As someone who has grown up in Mississippi and within an hour of Oxford I fell I will be able to give you a realistic opinion.

I would tend to stay away from Sardis.(30 Mins West of Oxford) It is my personal opinion and I base that on just the quality of living and type of people that live in that area. Do not get me wrong there are plenty of good people that live in that area but I would say there are plenty of people who are up to no good. I do not think you have to worry about your house being robbed or things of that nature.

Do not move to Holly Springs!!!(45 Mins North East of Oxford) I understand diversity and all but realistically it is a crime ridden and has a huge drug problem, mainly crack cocaine. I have driving through the town and seen open drug deals at gas stations. I do not like my wife stopping in that town it that makes sense. There are places where you can find historic homes and the southern downtown feel but make you have a gun with you when you go to sleep so the local crack head doesn't rob you so he can get his fix. Again I know its not 'prettied' up as Gloria put it but I am more of a realistic person and would rather have someone shoot me straight.

As far as living remotely that is very possible in this area. To have the balance between a good community, remote living, and the access to the city benefits I would stay in Lafayette County. There are plenty of places where you can buy a home or purchase land with your closest neighbor being 2 or 3 miles away. I understand it is not the same remote as in places in Alaska but its the best you are going to get. Not all homes are "fixer-upers' or antebellum homes.

To dispel any rumors or myths about Mississippi we are not a backwards people. At one time I do believe we were on the wrong side of history in some views of life. Today Mississippi has become a thriving state that focuses on our good history and we have learned from the past. The majority of Mississippians are good down home christian people who would help you out and does not even have to know your name.

We normally do not have negative people such as Gloria. Obviously while trying to describe the state she portrays it in a negative light in almost every sentence. I'm assuming she once lived here since her profile now says she lives in Oregon. So either her view is distorted or she is just an overall negative person.

So either way come to Mississippi and especially Oxford. Most who live near Oxford and are not from here fall in love with it and never want to leave. It is a special town that has the down home small town feel with the benefits that a college town will bring.

Last edited by JHills122; 11-07-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Outside of Oxford?

It's really not necessary to move more than about 6 - 8 miles out of town before you are.....OUT of town. Oxford is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Yocohah (pronounced Yacht-nee, by most folks) is a good example. You'll be at work in 10 minutes, and never hear a sound at night.....

Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHills122 View Post
After much criticism from Gloria I will be frank with you. As someone who has grown up in Mississippi and within an hour of Oxford I fell I will be able to give you a realistic opinion.

I would tend to stay away from Sardis.(30 Mins West of Oxford) It is my personal opinion and I base that on just the quality of living and type of people that live in that area. Do not get me wrong there are plenty of good people that live in that area but I would say there are plenty of people who are up to no good. I do not think you have to worry about your house being robbed or things of that nature.

Do not move to Holly Springs!!!(45 Mins North East of Oxford) I understand diversity and all but realistically it is a crime ridden and has a huge drug problem, mainly crack cocaine. I have driving through the town and seen open drug deals at gas stations. I do not like my wife stopping in that town it that makes sense. There are places where you can find historic homes and the southern downtown feel but make you have a gun with you when you go to sleep so the local crack head doesn't rob you so he can get his fix. Again I know its not 'prettied' up as Gloria put it but I am more of a realistic person and would rather have someone shoot me straight.

As far as living remotely that is very possible in this area. To have the balance between a good community, remote living, and the access to the city benefits I would stay in Lafayette County. There are plenty of places where you can buy a home or purchase land with your closest neighbor being 2 or 3 miles away. I understand it is not the same remote as in places in Alaska but its the best you are going to get. Not all homes are "fixer-upers' or antebellum homes.

To dispel any rumors or myths about Mississippi we are not a backwards people. At one time I do believe we were on the wrong side of history in some views of life. Today Mississippi has become a thriving state that focuses on our good history and we have learned from the past. The majority of Mississippians are good down home christian people who would help you out and does not even have to know your name.

We normally do not have negative people such as Gloria. Obviously while trying to describe the state she portrays it in a negative light in almost every sentence. I'm assuming she once lived here since her profile now says she lives in Oregon. So either her view is distorted or she is just an overall negative person.

So either way come to Mississippi and especially Oxford. Most who live near Oxford and are not from here fall in love with it and never want to leave. It is a special town that has the down home small town feel with the benefits that a college town will bring.
Thank you, JHillsHaveEyes, for setting me straight, in such an eloquent, sane, and consistent way. And thank you for offering yourself up as an illustration: illustrating the clear thinking and lack of hypocrisy so characteristic of the state's classic residents. With people like you around, it's amazing that anyone would want to move away from the Magnolia State.

Someday I hope to scale the heights you have reached with your post. I expect your clarifying reprimand to become seminal - a benchmark for future posters. Beyond oozing erudition, your brilliant post positively exuberates positivity. I shall strive to be so positive and upbeat in the future!

Too, I live for the day when I, like you, can live free from the tyranny of Commas.

But, on the subject of Holly Springs, you did read my phrase, "...if you don't mind Diversity...", didn't you? A person who has been successfully rehabilitated and reeducated embraces all the many splendors of Diversity - not just the superficial ones. A truly reeducated person learns to see so-called "crime" as merely a matter of perception. One learns to think and say, "Perceived Crime".

In restoring an Antebellum cottage, I think it best to take a multivalent approach. The new owners of this classic one-room-deep Pioneer Era 'Starter Mansion', http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1DqgcV3sfW...31512595_n.jpg , chose to address threats from both the Spirit World (with their use of Haint Blue - a color especially good at repelling evil spirits), and through the use of ten-foot-plus perimeter fencing. I counted the concrete blocks, and thus determined that the base is a bit over four feet high. Surmounting the masonry base is fencing cleverly assembled from a multitude of six-foot-high ready-made chain-link gates, gaily garlanded with razor wire. The perimeter repels threats from the Temporal World, while the trusty Haint Blue paint guards against unworldly evils floating upon the mists. Notice that using tarpaper allows easy application of Haint Blue paint to the roof, as well as to the walls - thus rendering all surfaces impervious to penetration. http://25.media.tumblr.com/b534e44e1...lt7do2_500.jpg In this way, the Owner guards the structure against both real and perceived crime. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-08-19_001.jpg

Anyway, Diversity is one of those "Love me, love my dog" kinds of propositions. Objecting to crime (perceived crime, that is...) means one is not truly committed to Diversity, and is not willing to sacrifice his/her well-being for the sake of ideology.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 PM

560 posts, read 786,553 times
The man featured in front of that little blue slice of heaven is positively enchanting!! What a guy! See how pleased he is? That is because he has liberated himself from the use of excessive punctuation.

I, on the other hand, have decided to use all punctuation as a form of embellishment. I've been decorating my essays with unnecessary ampersands for years and have received many compliments.

I'm on my way to Home Depot to buy some bright blue epoxy paint and tar paper. I'll save the razor wire as the final touch. Neighbors are sure to say, "See how committed to diversity she is?" So sangfroid, so....avant-garde."

Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
The man featured in front of that little blue slice of heaven is positively enchanting!! What a guy! See how pleased he is? That is because he has liberated himself from the use of excessive punctuation.

I, on the other hand, have decided to use all punctuation as a form of embellishment. I've been decorating my essays with unnecessary ampersands for years and have received many compliments.

I'm on my way to Home Depot to buy some bright blue epoxy paint and tar paper. I'll save the razor wire as the final touch. Neighbors are sure to say, "See how committed to diversity she is?" So sangfroid, so....avant-garde."
Indeed! Well said! My Daughter was on the cardio machine next to mine, until I showed her your post. She managed to get out, "Little blue slice of Heaven?!!! Looks more like a Cerulean Hell, to me...". But then, suddenly, she inexplicably came down with a laughing fit, and wandered off in the direction of the Schvitz. She didn't stick around for the tips on ampersand use.

You're right: Nothing says "Committed to Diversity" like razor wire. And sangfroid can turn to 'rivières de sang chaud' in an instant, when Underserved Youths fail to notice one's decorative razor wire, on their way over the fence. This is why, although it is tempting to use 'Krylon 18-Carat Goldplate' spraypaint, to get "that ritzy touch" for your razor wire, it's best not to: dulls the cutting edge.

Oh, and I failed, in my previous post, to point out a wonderful renovation tip I gleaned from the overdoor treatment in that first photo. Why pay for expensive window boxes, when all you really need is a nail gun and a few plastic milk crates?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thank you, JHillsHaveEyes, for setting me straight, in such an eloquent, sane, and consistent way. And thank you for offering yourself up as an illustration: illustrating the clear thinking and lack of hypocrisy so characteristic of the state's classic residents. With people like you around, it's amazing that anyone would want to move away from the Magnolia State.

Someday I hope to scale the heights you have reached with your post. I expect your clarifying reprimand to become seminal - a benchmark for future posters. Beyond oozing erudition, your brilliant post positively exuberates positivity. I shall strive to be so positive and upbeat in the future!

Too, I live for the day when I, like you, can live free from the tyranny of Commas.

But, on the subject of Holly Springs, you did read my phrase, "...if you don't mind Diversity...", didn't you? A person who has been successfully rehabilitated and reeducated embraces all the many splendors of Diversity - not just the superficial ones. A truly reeducated person learns to see so-called "crime" as merely a matter of perception. One learns to think and say, "Perceived Crime".

In restoring an Antebellum cottage, I think it best to take a multivalent approach. The new owners of this classic one-room-deep Pioneer Era 'Starter Mansion', http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1DqgcV3sfW...31512595_n.jpg , chose to address threats from both the Spirit World (with their use of Haint Blue - a color especially good at repelling evil spirits), and through the use of ten-foot-plus perimeter fencing. I counted the concrete blocks, and thus determined that the base is a bit over four feet high. Surmounting the masonry base is fencing cleverly assembled from a multitude of six-foot-high ready-made chain-link gates, gaily garlanded with razor wire. The perimeter repels threats from the Temporal World, while the trusty Haint Blue paint guards against unworldly evils floating upon the mists. Notice that using tarpaper allows easy application of Haint Blue paint to the roof, as well as to the walls - thus rendering all surfaces impervious to penetration. http://25.media.tumblr.com/b534e44e1...lt7do2_500.jpg In this way, the Owner guards the structure against both real and perceived crime. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-08-19_001.jpg

Anyway, Diversity is one of those "Love me, love my dog" kinds of propositions. Objecting to crime (perceived crime, that is...) means one is not truly committed to Diversity, and is not willing to sacrifice his/her well-being for the sake of ideology.
Ah, Graceland Too. Celebrities and people from all over the world come to visit this shrine to Elvis. The owner Paul McLeod is a trip. Had us laughing. If you visit three times you get a Graceland Too membership card... I only went once, that was enough. As we say in the south, "that boy ain't right".

Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Water Valley has attracted some people who find Oxford too pricey. And there's Thai food!

Nallie's

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM

560 posts, read 786,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Water Valley has attracted some people who find Oxford too pricey. And there's Thai food!

Nallie's
I looked at some of the houses in Water Valley and thought they were lovely. I know it's not the same as an actual visit, but still it gave me a pretty good idea. I'll bet the food at Nallie's is delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi