Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,904,295 times

Advertisements

When people think of small, charming, and historic towns I highly doubt that Columbus Mississippi would be on anyone's radar. In fact, most people would probably first think of old New England towns. Well, New England may be old, but so are some areas of the south.

Columbus Mississippi probably doesn't get as much attention as it deserves, however it is known pretty well regionally, just not on a national level. It ranks 2nd in the state for having the most Antebellum (pre-civil war) homes. Only Natchez Mississippi has more, and it isn't by much.

Well this past weekend I was able to do a little tour of Columbus and I was very impressed with the town and how very well preserved it is. A truly historic town that has been around since the early 1800's. Some houses are as old as 1820. I did a little photography on my latest trip up there and took pictures of many of the old homes, many of which were at one time plantations. I hope you enjoy the pictures and learning about Columbus as much as I did.

Note: ALL of these pictures were taken by me, no copyright infringement.

All but one of those houses are private residences, people are currently living in them. A few are museums, but I didn't get pictures of those. Columbus is also graced with the presence of Mississippi University for Women. Established in 1884 it was the first public university for women. Although today they serve both genders, though it's primarily just for women and is known for its excellent health program. Some of the shots were of the university.

Hope you enjoyed viewing Columbus. Below are a few hot linked images of downtown Columbus, which is very old but very well preserved.

http://www.sb-d.com/Portals/0/images...alltown_02.jpg
http://www.raylinsea.com/LOOP%201%20...11010042-1.JPG
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv26755.php
http://www.preservationnation.org/as...treetscape.jpg
http://bikeacrossamerica.org/trip-re...ississippi.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM

560 posts, read 779,175 times
Thank you for sharing these absolutely beautiful photos.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Thank you for sharing these absolutely beautiful photos.
You are welcome! I hope this somehow puts Columbus on the map and lets people know that Mississippi does have these quaint and charming historic areas. It is breath taking town, so very old but so very well preserved.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Also, I'd like to add, I was fortunate enough to take my tour of Columbus in the fall. Since Columbus is kind of in the northern part of the state, there are more Deciduous trees, thus more color. Fall in that area is strikingly beautiful, I only wish I didn't have overcast skies for that day, the lighting on some of these beautiful homes was a little poor.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,110,924 times
Beautiful buildings. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Beautiful buildings. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! Should you ever get the opportunity I highly recommend visiting Columbus.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM

560 posts, read 779,175 times
I took a peek at some the links you provided below the photos. Wish I could go inside those homes and take a look.

Columbus reminds me of the city I was born in. I was born in Huntington Park, CA, which is a city located in Los Angeles County. At one time Huntington Park was so pretty. Lovely homes and a main street like the one featured on your thread. It has been in a steady decline since the 1960s however. I'm so pleased that Columbus has maintained so much of it's beauty and historic integrity. As I recall the homes in Huntington Park, CA were mostly Spanish style bungalows that were built sometime in the early part of the 20th Century. They were very nice too.

Thank you again. I enjoy looking at all the Mississippi photos people have posted.

Last edited by Seadory; 11-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling/punctuation

Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I took a peek at some the links you provided below the photos. Wish I could go inside those homes and take a look.

Columbus reminds me of the city I was born in. I was born in Huntington Park, CA, which is a city located in Los Angeles County. At one time Huntington Park was so pretty. Lovely homes and a main street like the one featured on your thread. It has been in a steady decline since the 1960s however. I'm so pleased that Columbus has maintained so much of it's beauty and historic integrity. As I recall the homes in Huntington Park, CA were mostly Spanish style bungalows that were built sometime in the early part of the 20th Century. They were very nice too.

Thank you again. I enjoy looking at all the Mississippi photos people have posted.
You're welcome! I'm always all about making an effort to get these unknown towns and cities out there.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,913,493 times
Thanks for posting these! I graduated high school & college there (MUW), and lived in a house built circa 1840 with my family. Unfortunately you didn't have a pic of that one.. I'll check your other links, though. Maybe it's there.
But it was great to see them--I even remember a lot of the names of the houses, too.
It was always a big deal in the spring, getting ready for the "Pilgrimage".

Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM

5,663 posts, read 11,216,802 times
I lived in Alabama in the late 1990s and visited Columbus one time on a trip I made over to Mississippi State University in nearby Starkville (about 15 miles west). I took highway 82 from Tuscaloosa, AL (I-20 Junction) to Columbus and that took about an hour.

Columbus is not on a main interstate highway, it is off the beaten track for most travelers, so that is probably the reason it is not very well known. It's a quiet and attractive community with good aesthetics, not tacky looking or overly commercialized like some historical communities are.

I remember visiting in Spring during peak dogwood bloom and that was impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi