Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
And right on cue, here is where OP informs us that we are all a bunch if racists because we don't agree with him.
Not what he said at all.
Back up your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I don't have to back up my statement because the OP's posts do that just fine.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times
Quote:
Can you contribute something substantial to this conversation?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Why is it so hard to believe a Black person could have a master's in history and love his southron heritage enough to question an Emmett Till marker. All I am saying is he is not some civil rights icon.
No, he's not an icon like MLK, no one is saying that, but his death is a very honest, raw, and brutal snapshot of the vile and ugly face of Mississippi, at the time. It is a noteworthy moment and it needs to be memorialized.

In terms of your earlier comment regarding young Emmett Till whistling at someone's wife, let me say two things:

1) Show me any evidence that Till knew the woman was married (which is irrelevant anyway), and

2) At worst, Till was guilty of behaving in a boorish and ungentlemanly way (chalk it up to youthful indiscretion). Surely you agree Till's "transgression" did not justify a summary execution by a racist lynch mob?

Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
No, he's not an icon like MLK, no one is saying that, but his death is a very honest, raw, and brutal snapshot of the vile and ugly face of Mississippi, at the time. It is a noteworthy moment and it needs to be memorialized.

In terms of your earlier comment regarding young Emmett Till whistling at someone's wife, let me say two things:

1) Show me any evidence that Till knew the woman was married (which is irrelevant anyway), and

2) At worst, Till was guilty of behaving in a boorish and ungentlemanly way (chalk it up to youthful indiscretion). Surely you agree Till's "transgression" did not justify a summary execution by a racist lynch mob?
very well said.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Having read more than a few things about Forrest outside of the internet, own several books on him, he wasn't some cardboard villain.
I agree, he was not some cardboard villain, he was a monster.

May Nathan Bedford Forrest rot in Hell for all of the death, pain, suffering, fear, and misery that has been inflicted upon humanity because of him and his God-d***** Ku Klux Klan.

In my opinion, he is to black people what Adolf Hitler is to Jews.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
very well said.
Thank you.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 PM

560 posts, read 786,706 times
Nathan Forrest was a fearless, brilliant military strategist. Forrest was a member of the Klan however, whether or not he served as the Grand Wizard of the Klan is still uncertain.

That said, based on what I know about Forrest, it is my opinion that he was a sociopath. Sociopaths make fabulous politicians and many sociopaths have distinguished military careers. I am by no means suggesting that all politicians have a complete lack of conscience or that most people who serve in the armed forces are sociopathic.

The operative word here is fearless. I've no doubt that he was, in addition to his greatness, a very charming man.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

How is this post any different the post #1.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:06 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Nah. You dug yourself a hole and the only thing you could think of was to declare that you are omniscient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi