Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
You know, a few years back, Miss Teen South Carolina concluded that people can't find things on maps, because maybe they don't have maps.

And in that same spirit, I'd like to offer that perhaps fewer Mississippians would be accused of crimes like shooting elderly couples in the head during home invasions, if maybe their mothers had had access to books full of good baby names.

Photos released of those arrested in Warren Co. home invasion, s - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

It's the fault of Society, for not providing young mothers with attractive and easy-to-use books of baby names. I'm sure that's the problem. That's What's Wrong With Mississippi: not enough good books about how to name babies.

And I would like to add that a contributing factor may be the plucking of eyebrows. Mississippi's cosmetologists need to keep their hands off the eyebrows. Having perused many a mugshot, I see a correlation between severity of eyebrow plucking and the severity of the crimes of which the Pluckees are accused. Again, society is (somehow) at fault, for allowing cosmetologists to endanger the public, by causing irritation to the vulnerable Eyebrow-to-Cerebral-Cortex-Corridor. It's not those boys' fault. It's Society's fault.

And mamas: please don't name your babies 'Cerebral Cortex'.
This is hilarious!!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
My husband and I, providing that nothing disastrous happens, will retire in either MS or GA with "Yankee Money." After 60 years in in Los Angeles it will be a welcome change.
LA is considered Yankee now?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM

560 posts, read 786,369 times
Default What's a Yankee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
LA is considered Yankee now?
I don't know. Been referred to as a Yankee by couple people from Arkansas & Missouri. The definition is somewhat broad in scope, however the term Yankee probably represents people from the Northeastern part of the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that people from the U.K. refer to Americans as Yankees. My husband says the Vietnamese sometimes called American soldiers Yankees. I checked it out on wikipedia and—sure enough!

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement and say, "If we retire to the southern part of the U.S. we'll bring our Southwestern money."

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM

29 posts, read 53,435 times
Quote:
I don't know. Been referred to as a Yankee by couple people from Arkansas & Missouri. The definition is somewhat broad in scope, however the term Yankee probably represents people from the Northeastern part of the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that people from the U.K. refer to Americans as Yankees. My husband says the Vietnamese sometimes called American soldiers Yankees. I checked it out on wikipedia and—sure enough!

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement and say, "If we retire to the southern part of the U.S. we'll bring our Southwestern money."

Lol. In Mississippi, anyone not from the south can be considered Yankee! Even myself, being from New Orleans, I could be considered a Yankee...

Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
It is serious! I know someone by the name of Placenta. Stricken by alopecia at a young age, Placenta turned to a life of crime. He's now serving time for transporting Snowy Egrets across the state line for immoral purposes.
Oh, not the EGRETS! Leeeeeeeeave the Egrets aloooooone! Feather Frottage is never pretty. But our Egrets, especially, deserve better. Mississippi has 'Great White Egrets'. And I shudder to think what someone named Placenta might do, if he got his hands on one.

And imagine what sort of predestiny might go with the name Jopravious! WJTV News Channel 12 - Arrested at a Funeral .

Would you not fear for Egrets and Herons alike?

But after reading about Alopecia striking Placenta, I'm left with the question: Is 'Alopecia' a Girl Name or a Boy Name? Either way, it reminds me of the now-legendary Sharkeisha-on-ShaMichael beat-down.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 PM

560 posts, read 786,369 times
Alopecia is a lovely name isn't it? I should have said that Placenta was stricken with the disease alopecia at a young age, thereby rendering him completely without eyebrows and eyelashes. This supports your theory that people with bizarre names and little or no eyebrows are inclined to commit vicious criminal acts.

I wonder if Jopravious recently had his eyebrows plucked off.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Alopecia is a lovely name isn't it? I should have said that Placenta was stricken with the disease alopecia at a young age, thereby rendering him completely without eyebrows and eyelashes. This supports your theory that people with bizarre names and little or no eyebrows are inclined to commit vicious criminal acts.

I wonder if Jopravious recently had his eyebrows plucked off.
From what I can see on the video footage, "plucked off" is phrasing it exactly right. And Eyebrow Discipline seems to run in the family, judging from interviews with various aunts & uncles, incensed that someone would dare arrest their sweet little nephew (who'd had outstanding warrants for burglary, etc.). Deputies wait outside funeral to arrest slain man's brother | Local News - WAPT Home

Jopravious also has a myspace page, with a group photo that you can click on to enlarge https://myspace.com/dat*****pray Not sure which one he is, and sunglasses obscure several brows... Look quick: I expect that page to come down rather fast.

Poor Jopravious! First, his girlfriend Courtney dies mysteriously from a 'Trash Fire', then those burglary warrants, and now this! Although, if I were on the lam, I'd consider it to be serendipitous to have the last name, 'Hyder'.

Well heck! I just tried the link, and since the censoring software puts asterisks where the letter-after-m-word should be (but spelled with 'gga', instead of 'gger'), the link doesn't work. You either have to access it via a search, or by manually typing in the myspace address. Here's just the photo, but then you don't get the music and contacts and all.. https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/ima...10/300x300.jpg

Ok... I've figured it out. Click on the first Myspace link, and then delete the asterisks from the address bar, typing in that forbidden word (but with an 'a', instead of 'er'). And it comes up.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-21-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 PM

38 posts, read 58,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tylertown, that is where Ruby Bridges was born. She would move to New Orleans with her family shortly before starting school.

Honestly, I don't blame you for leaving. My grandparents left Mississippi a long time ago(late 1940s), and never lived there again(they were part of the Great Migration).

I had a colleague a few years back. She grew up in Mississippi in the 1970s-early 1980s. According to her, it was a step behind. She later moved away, and has never lived there since. She was among the talented that left the state. According to her, Mississippi is still behind compared to many places.
(Unfortunately, I had to Google her. Seems Tylertown can't remember to teach their youngins that anyone of any kind of importance might have been born here...I wonder what would've happened had she went to school here?)

Yes, MS is a step behind. Heck, Tylertown's high school had separate proms up until somewhere about 2005. (You could go to either one, but it usually panned out on more of social class level than a racial level. ) Also, I remember a few years back when a prom in North MS was cancelled because a girl wanted to bring her girlfriend as her prom date.

If we could get something other than Walmart to bring jobs, that might help as well. (I mean where do they expect a college grad to work anyways? They can't ALL go to the coast and Jackson.)

Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encode View Post
(Unfortunately, I had to Google her. Seems Tylertown can't remember to teach their youngins that anyone of any kind of importance might have been born here...I wonder what would've happened had she went to school here?)

Yes, MS is a step behind. Heck, Tylertown's high school had separate proms up until somewhere about 2005. (You could go to either one, but it usually panned out on more of social class level than a racial level. ) Also, I remember a few years back when a prom in North MS was cancelled because a girl wanted to bring her girlfriend as her prom date.

If we could get something other than Walmart to bring jobs, that might help as well. (I mean where do they expect a college grad to work anyways? They can't ALL go to the coast and Jackson.)
I didn't even know she was from Tylertown until I read about her. Even the film about Ruby Bridges doesn't mention that.

I didn't know Tylertown had separate proms, but it doesn't surprise me. My high school in Georgia didn't, but there was a high school in Georgia that did that. And in addition, I've watched Prom Night In Mississippi, which takes place in Charleston,MS. Charleston had separate proms until about 2008. Morgan Freeman approached Charleston High and said he would paid for the prom, provided it was integrated. That offer was declined. He tried in again in 2008, and the answer was yes.

Mississippi has a very high unemployment rate, and WalMart isn't going to solve the problem. The issues of poverty and poor education is a historical issue. This has been taking place from the beginning.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Mississippi is not really a place for the young and bright. There isn't much here that will attract highly skilled and highly motivated young people to pave a good future for this state. This is why Mississippi's growth is one of the slowest in the country. At first I was pleased to see some progress that Mississippi has made in the 21st century but now I see just how futile that "progress" was on a national scale.

Mississippi is playing catch up, and they are catching up a lot slower than the rest of the country is moving forward. I believe things will only become worse here. Of course a few areas of Mississippi are doing well and have a chance for resurgence. Jackson has a chance to come back and build on itself, the coast can only go up not down, Southaven seems to be doing well so long as Memphis continues to grow, Tupelo is the largest city in its region and continues to be a regional hub, the rest of Mississippi is either stagnant or declining. Very little diversity, very few new ideas.

Pretty soon the deep south will only be Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana will leave it behind before too much longer.
There are plenty of young and bright kids at Mississippi colleges. Georgia and South Carolina will not lose their Deep South membership. The entire rural South has people moving to cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi