U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
 
3,376 posts, read 12,035,831 times
Reputation: 763

Advertisements

Just my 2 cents worth: I've visited a ton of "college towns" over the years and Oxford pales in comparison. I have never understood the draw of the town. There's nothing overtly bad about it at all; but people make it out to be this great, exciting, artsy town..and I just don't see it. Granted, it may be better than Starkville (I have no clue, never been) but it's definitely not a place that I would now or when in undergrad would have then considered to be a "fun college town." Yes, it's fun on football game days, but who cares? That's 6 days a year. People talk about the square, but my gosh. It's a few restaurants and a couple shops. I cannot fathom how that would keep you occupied for 4 years. Maybe there's something that I have been missing in all the times I've visited Oxford.

Of course, Oxford is less than an hour from Memphis, so that is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
 
376 posts, read 1,619,442 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Just my 2 cents worth: I've visited a ton of "college towns" over the years and Oxford pales in comparison. I have never understood the draw of the town. There's nothing overtly bad about it at all; but people make it out to be this great, exciting, artsy town..and I just don't see it. Granted, it may be better than Starkville (I have no clue, never been) but it's definitely not a place that I would now or when in undergrad would have then considered to be a "fun college town." Yes, it's fun on football game days, but who cares? That's 6 days a year. People talk about the square, but my gosh. It's a few restaurants and a couple shops. I cannot fathom how that would keep you occupied for 4 years. Maybe there's something that I have been missing in all the times I've visited Oxford.

Of course, Oxford is less than an hour from Memphis, so that is a plus.
Yeah, I think you were missing something. There are 30-40 restaurants/bars around the Square, and all of them are local establishments. The only chains in Downtown Oxford are ones that started in Downtown Oxford. Many of these places offer something that can't be found anywhere else in the region, like a salumeria by a protege of Mario Batali or a restaurant by a James Beard nominee. The bars are unique because it is one of the larger collection of bars that do not cater to tourists (unlike Beale Street) and host great regional acts (and frequent national ones) several nights a week. The vast majority of bands are Southern rock/blues/country, and it is one of the few places that plays host almost exclusively to the Southern sound. There are even a few recording studios in town. It's not Sixth Street Austin, but it's pretty cool for a small town. There are always arts events going on too. The best thing about Oxford, however, is the atmosphere. It seems that everyone there is wanting to have a good time, and that is year-round (not just football weekends), and they relish in the North Mississippi "Hill Country" culture. The food, art, music all reflect that. There's a real sense of place, and it sort of operates in its own little world. In that way, it is a lot like a small town version of Austin. But lots of people travel to Austin and say, "I just don't get it." That's fine, but a lot of people do. When there isn't a football game going on, there are constant baseball games, basketball games, women's soccer, women's basketball, tennis matches, plays, touring ballet, professional musical performances, top-notch speakers (kings, princes, senators, fortune 500 executives, writers, presidential candidates, etc), art shows, literary readings, conferences, intramural sports, water sports at nearby Sardis, international fairs, bike trails, and gambling at nearby Tunica. And that's if you don't like parties (they have a few of those too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
 
11,858 posts, read 32,841,025 times
Reputation: 8598
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Yeah, I think you were missing something. There are 30-40 restaurants/bars around the Square, and all of them are local establishments. The only chains in Downtown Oxford are ones that started in Downtown Oxford. Many of these places offer something that can't be found anywhere else in the region, like a salumeria by a protege of Mario Batali or a restaurant by a James Beard nominee. The bars are unique because it is one of the larger collection of bars that do not cater to tourists (unlike Beale Street) and host great regional acts (and frequent national ones) several nights a week. The vast majority of bands are Southern rock/blues/country, and it is one of the few places that plays host almost exclusively to the Southern sound. There are even a few recording studios in town. It's not Sixth Street Austin, but it's pretty cool for a small town. There are always arts events going on too. The best thing about Oxford, however, is the atmosphere. It seems that everyone there is wanting to have a good time, and that is year-round (not just football weekends), and they relish in the North Mississippi "Hill Country" culture. The food, art, music all reflect that. There's a real sense of place, and it sort of operates in its own little world. In that way, it is a lot like a small town version of Austin. But lots of people travel to Austin and say, "I just don't get it." That's fine, but a lot of people do. When there isn't a football game going on, there are constant baseball games, basketball games, women's soccer, women's basketball, tennis matches, plays, touring ballet, professional musical performances, top-notch speakers (kings, princes, senators, fortune 500 executives, writers, presidential candidates, etc), art shows, literary readings, conferences, intramural sports, water sports at nearby Sardis, international fairs, bike trails, and gambling at nearby Tunica. And that's if you don't like parties (they have a few of those too).
That's one of the best posts about Oxford. It makes me wish I was back there. I grew up around college towns all over the world (my dad was a college professor), and I can assure the skeptics that Oxford is indeed a quintessential college town. It lives and breathes Ole Miss. The town was formed for one reason only: to house the state's land grand university. That's it.

The years I spent in Oxford were glorious. I don't drink, but I sure enjoyed Oxford's wealth of excellent watering holes and eating establishments. And you're right, there's always a lecture series, a writers' symposium, an art show, SOMETHING intellectually stimulating going on in town. Even people from Memphis go to Oxford to learn a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 AM
 
30 posts, read 110,545 times
Reputation: 11
Default College Fair

I am a reporter for my school online publication in Palo Alto, CA. We recently published an article about our recent college fair. Perhaps it could be of interest to future college seekers. The story is on our website at http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=6097 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Telford, TN
1,065 posts, read 3,455,349 times
Reputation: 349
I went to school at USM, so I am being completely objective here. I would definitely pick State; I wish I had went to school there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
 
376 posts, read 1,619,442 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I went to school at USM, so I am being completely objective here. I would definitely pick State; I wish I had went to school there.
USM and State aren't all that different. Hattiesburg is a bigger version of Starkville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,549 posts, read 3,954,708 times
Reputation: 2871
Do most students walk from campus to Oxford Square, or drive or ride the bus? It looks like bit of a walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM
 
1,327 posts, read 1,007,992 times
Reputation: 1085
I am not sure what enrollment at USM looks like now or has looked like historically but as a city, Hattiesburg seems to be fairly stagnant:

1970 census: 39,648
1980 census: 40,829
1990 census: 41,882
2000 census: 44,779
2010 census: 45,989
2016 estimate: 46,805




So, it doesn't look like Hattiesburg as a city is growing much, whereas I think Starkville and Oxford have had pretty moderate growth over that same time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,748 posts, read 6,140,825 times
Reputation: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I am not sure what enrollment at USM looks like now or has looked like historically but as a city, Hattiesburg seems to be fairly stagnant:

1970 census: 39,648
1980 census: 40,829
1990 census: 41,882
2000 census: 44,779
2010 census: 45,989
2016 estimate: 46,805




So, it doesn't look like Hattiesburg as a city is growing much, whereas I think Starkville and Oxford have had pretty moderate growth over that same time frame.
Hattiesburg just seems more like a normal city than the the other two. Has a mall, a real nice touristy, golfy side of town (west side). Oxford has grown but everything revolves around it's old south ambiance. Although it is strictly a college town it comes off as a tourist town in that regard.

Starkville reminds me of any other small town in Mississippi. The place just doesn't really have any special ambiance. The university is kind of off by itself on the edge of town. Compared to Oxford it just doesn't have any panache. However, if you want a nice homey non pretentious atmosphere, it might be a good fit for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Memphis
382 posts, read 1,082,814 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Do most students walk from campus to Oxford Square, or drive or ride the bus? It looks like bit of a walk.
When I was there we had Rebel Ride that would take us to & from the Square. Not sure if it is still around, but believe it is not.

It is not a bad walk, though. Maybe about a mile. Not something you would want to do all the time, but not bad with nice weather. Be careful walking back to campus if you're boozing. They will give you a public intox. Oxford has Uber now so I suspect that is most often used now. Or fraternity pledges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top