U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
 
Location: ATL
78 posts, read 81,005 times
Reputation: 188

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
Starkville and Oxford are hip.
Starkville is "hip" only if you're a college student. Once you get off-campus, there is really very little to see there; certainly not a place I'd recommend for someone wanting to experience Mississippi culture.


Quote:
Columbus and pontotoc are considered arm pits in Mississippi.
Says who?? I have not been to Pontotoc much, but Columbus is rich in history and is a beautiful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
 
9,359 posts, read 9,494,109 times
Reputation: 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I guess your neighbor to the south isn't as good.

This part should have been omitted, but Mississippi does have the strongest literary history of any state (as far as I know).
Mississippi has great literary History, but Massachusetts probably takes the cake, with Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Dickinson, The Alcotts, William Lloyd Garrison etc.
But Mississippi is really the heart of Dixie, as far as literature goes, Faulkner was one of if not the best American writer

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-31-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM
 
289 posts, read 222,209 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I guess your neighbor to the south isn't as good.

This part should have been omitted, but Mississippi does have the strongest literary history of any state (as far as I know).
Surely you must be joking. Faulkner, Welty, and Williams hardly make for "the strongest literary history of any state."

I don't want to come down too hard, because if you like it here, fine, enjoy it. Personally, I lived in the state for about 7 years, before realizing that Mississippi is a dead end. The state, unfortunately, is dying. It routinely comes up in lists of worst quality of life, worst education, last satisfaction, most poverty, worst health. The state has very little culture, and the culture it has is unappreciated. It is about as diverse as a hecidic jew convention. While a few prestigious authors have come out of the state, they are few and far between. The only jobs that are coming to the state are coming here because a complete lack of any meaningful regulations means employers can pay next to nothing, treat workers like disposable trash, and destroy whatever community they enter. That's not even considering that most of these jobs are low skill or unskilled, and are being destroyed by automation at a rate of something like 15 to 20% per year, meaning that it won't be long until they're gone for good. This isn't helped by the local schools being mostly a joke outside of the LA/MS/AL area.

The state has some great cities, beautiful nature, and lots of natural resources. It's just a shame that people would rather beat their chests and make sweeping erroneous statements (if you honestly think MS has the strongest literary history, or musical history, or anything, you're out of your mind) rather than man up and actually make the state a better place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,189 posts, read 4,123,650 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Surely you must be joking. Faulkner, Welty, and Williams hardly make for "the strongest literary history of any state."

I don't want to come down too hard, because if you like it here, fine, enjoy it. Personally, I lived in the state for about 7 years, before realizing that Mississippi is a dead end. The state, unfortunately, is dying. It routinely comes up in lists of worst quality of life, worst education, last satisfaction, most poverty, worst health. The state has very little culture, and the culture it has is unappreciated. It is about as diverse as a hecidic jew convention. While a few prestigious authors have come out of the state, they are few and far between. The only jobs that are coming to the state are coming here because a complete lack of any meaningful regulations means employers can pay next to nothing, treat workers like disposable trash, and destroy whatever community they enter. That's not even considering that most of these jobs are low skill or unskilled, and are being destroyed by automation at a rate of something like 15 to 20% per year, meaning that it won't be long until they're gone for good. This isn't helped by the local schools being mostly a joke outside of the LA/MS/AL area.

The state has some great cities, beautiful nature, and lots of natural resources. It's just a shame that people would rather beat their chests and make sweeping erroneous statements (if you honestly think MS has the strongest literary history, or musical history, or anything, you're out of your mind) rather than man up and actually make the state a better place to live.
Still doesn't give outsiders the right to outwardly mock a place without ever even having seen it for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,497 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Surely you must be joking. Faulkner, Welty, and Williams hardly make for "the strongest literary history of any state."
To tell you the truth I can hardly read Faulkner. And I suspect a lot of people are like me. If I had written like Faulkner in the 10th grade my English teacher would have failed me - "Run On Sentences", she would scrawl. Faulkner does it and everyone just swoons.
But Mississippi did produce John Grisham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I don't want to come down too hard, because if you like it here, fine, enjoy it. Personally, I lived in the state for about 7 years, before realizing that Mississippi is a dead end. The state, unfortunately, is dying.
Now, that's just plain silly. The state is not going to "die". The fact is, Mississippi is not progressing. But that's the worst that can be accurately said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
(jobs).....are being destroyed by automation at a rate of something like 15 to 20% per year, meaning that it won't be long until they're gone for good.
More silliness. There are manufacturers coming into Mississippi and there is a thread about it. You act like there will come a day when there are NO jobs at all in Mississippi. Nonsense. Read the jobs thread. Several companies disagree with you and have spent billions, collectively, in building facilities and plants in Mississippi. Caterpillar; Nissan; Toyota.......others.


On a personal note, I think all this stuff about Faulkner is an over-reaction by Mississippians to our status as the most undereducated and least progressive of the states. As you implied, it is a place where happiness can be found for some, and on this particular 68 degree day in February I am glad to call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 AM
 
289 posts, read 222,209 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Still doesn't give outsiders the right to outwardly mock a place without ever even having seen it for themselves.
Maybe, but expecting people to not mock something is a little silly, and coming back with a half-cocked rebuttal that does more to reinforce stereotypes than to break them is only going to pour gasoline on the fire. Because going back over that article, it did nothing to dispel the image of Mississippi as a poor, poorly educated, back-water place. Maybe instead of writing op-ed pieces, the focus should be on remedying the major issues and ignoring the mocking. Take the high road. And it's not as if people from Mississippi don't do their share of mocking. I was mocked mercilessly while living here for being a jumped up dandy from the north-east, and theres a thread on the main page called "What do people from Mississippi think of Californians" that is full of all sorts of mocking, despite the fact that for all the problems in the north-east and California, both of those regions have way more going for them.

So I guess my point is fix what's broken before getting on a soap-box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
To tell you the truth I can hardly read Faulkner. And I suspect a lot of people are like me. If I had written like Faulkner in the 10th grade my English teacher would have failed me - "Run On Sentences", she would scrawl. Faulkner does it and everyone just swoons.
But Mississippi did produce John Grisham.
I'm not a big fan of Faulkner, either, to tell the truth. It's far too dry for my liking, and I never quite got the fetishization of his writing. Sure, it's a great body of period work, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Now, that's just plain silly. The state is not going to "die". The fact is, Mississippi is not progressing. But that's the worst that can be accurately said.
Not progressing IS dying, because the rest of the country is hardly standing still. If you aren't moving forward, you're getting left behind, and as you fall progressively more behind, the best and the brightest will leave in increasing numbers. This creates (an already in progress) feedback loop that will eventually leave the state with a tax-base insufficient to maintain services, which will cause...well...Detroit. It's already happened in several rust-belt areas, and it's happening here. And it will get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
More silliness. There are manufacturers coming into Mississippi and there is a thread about it. You act like there will come a day when there are NO jobs at all in Mississippi. Nonsense. Read the jobs thread. Several companies disagree with you and have spent billions, collectively, in building facilities and plants in Mississippi. Caterpillar; Nissan; Toyota.......others.
Yup, and they collectively pay significantly worse than similar plants in other states, provide fewer benefits, and are so loaded down with tax incentives that they cause a bigger drain on communities than the benefits they provide. Many of these plants pay no taxes due to favorable incentive packages to locate here, which causes the tax burden to fall disproportionately hard on the people employed there. Many of these plants pay preferential water, sewer, and electrical rates, which causes these rates to be increased for consumers. None of these companies are bringing high-end R&D or managerial complexes to the state, which erodes the middle class and pushes more people to either leave the state or settle for a job where they will be happy to top out at $15 an hour. It's a race to the bottom, and Mississippi is winning. This isn't something to celebrate, it's a socio-economic disaster.

I'm young, but I've talked to plenty of people who remember a time when a company paid dearly for the privilege to enter a community, not the other way around. More importantly, as I mentioned, manufacturing jobs are disappearing. Not because of outsourcing, but because they're being automated out of existence. It's already happened along the Amtrak corridor in the north-east - factories that used to employ 100 people now work better than ever with a crew of 20. Hitching your wagon to manufacturing is like putting all your money in horse and buggy futures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On a personal note, I think all this stuff about Faulkner is an over-reaction by Mississippians to our status as the most undereducated and least progressive of the states. As you implied, it is a place where happiness can be found for some, and on this particular 68 degree day in February I am glad to call it home.
Like I said, Mississippi has a lot to offer. When I lived on the coast, I loved being able to get off work and spend the rest of the day fishing in the gulf every day. The scenery is beautiful, and some of the towns are beautiful, and some of the people are great. I just wish that instead of getting offended and indignant, people would take articles like the "Worst Places to Live" as a challenge to rise up to and overcome, not a personal insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,497 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19639
Quote:
Lusiphur's Post
OK.
But the plants in automobile Blue Mountain and Canton pay significantly more than the non-existent plants elsewhere.
And, because of the oft stated lower standard (OK, cost) of living, the employees there are able to make a living. And that's why those plants were put there.
I'm old, and I can't remember when plants paid a premium to move into a community. As far as I know, there have always been tax trade offs. That's how businesses are attracted.

But if you are young and looking for a career, Mississippi is not the best place. You will do better in places like Atlanta; maybe some other state. Upward mobility is hard to find nowadays. It wasn't like that back in my day; I worked hard, put in the extra hours and thought, and got ahead. My career could not be duplicated now, I'm afraid, and especially if some young person is unwilling to go where the work is. Mobility counts.

Best of luck, wherever you go. There may come a day when you will remember those long afternoons after work, and want to return.
It happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
 
289 posts, read 222,209 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OK.
But the plants in automobile Blue Mountain and Canton pay significantly more than the non-existent plants elsewhere.
And, because of the oft stated lower standard (OK, cost) of living, the employees there are able to make a living. And that's why those plants were put there.
I'm old, and I can't remember when plants paid a premium to move into a community. As far as I know, there have always been tax trade offs. That's how businesses are attracted.

But if you are young and looking for a career, Mississippi is not the best place. You will do better in places like Atlanta; maybe some other state. Upward mobility is hard to find nowadays. It wasn't like that back in my day; I worked hard, put in the extra hours and thought, and got ahead. My career could not be duplicated now, I'm afraid, and especially if some young person is unwilling to go where the work is. Mobility counts.

Best of luck, wherever you go. There may come a day when you will remember those long afternoons after work, and want to return.
It happened to me.
Thanks, and best to you as well. Thanks for actually having a conversation and not an angry rant as some people are want to do. I still have the pleasure of visiting Mississippi on a monthly basis since my daughter lives here with her mother, so I occasionally still get the chance to throw a line out from the Biloxi Schooner pier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,149 posts, read 19,694,880 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm old, and I can't remember when plants paid a premium to move into a community. As far as I know, there have always been tax trade offs. That's how businesses are attracted.
I'm sorry, but I'm young and maybe a little dumb, but these large companies are the worst. Why on Earth should our money go to a multibillion dollar company who's going to deny pay raises, likely pollute the air, put a strain on our infrastructure, etc just so they can turn around and make billions of dollars! It baffles me and needs to be stopped! They are holding us hostage for crappy jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,497 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19639
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm young and maybe a little dumb, but these large companies are the worst. Why on Earth should our money go to a multibillion dollar company who's going to deny pay raises, likely pollute the air, put a strain on our infrastructure, etc just so they can turn around and make billions of dollars! It baffles me and needs to be stopped! They are holding us hostage for crappy jobs!
If that's the way you feel, all you can do is vote in politicians who will promise not to let big companies into the area, or will promise to limit their profits.
Those politicians couldn't get elected in Mississippi; dunno about Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top