Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 52,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
A person will hire you if he/she believes you are going to add value to the organization. In this state, not many people are hired because they went to a state university. There are of course exceptions, e.g., family members, close friends, no account brother-in-laws (as if there are any other kind), etc.

There are many un/under-employed Black Bear/Rebels, Bulldogs, Golden Eagles, JSU Tigers, etc.

More young people looking to builg a career leave MS than move to MS.
Right, I would guess that most Americans just assume Mississippi's economy is more stagnant than the average state. Whether that's entirely true or not, I don't know, and I'm sure employment and average household income can vary widely between counties, cities, municipalities, etc., just like any other state.

If I do attend Ole Miss, then I'll have to wait and see for myself whether I can find a decent job, like the people enough to stay, and so on. Though even at this point, sight unseen, I will be strongly considering applying to jobs located outside of northern Mississippi, like in western Tennessee and northern Alabama.

I have my own assumptions of Mississippi, just as anyone outside of the area has, whether for better or worse. However, I'm testing the waters on this board and I will be sure to visit Oxford well before I make a final decision on my choice of graduate school.

*This is a complete side note that most people here might not be familiar with, but I'll divulge it anyways. I am applying to the Ole Miss Biology Department. Every year since 2004 one school from the Southeast has hosted the Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference. Schools like Ga Tech, UGA, Alabama, Florida and FSU have hosted it so far. This year, Georgia Southern University, a school I applied to, is hosting it. Neither Ole Miss, Miss St, nor USM have hosted it in the decade it has been going. Now a smaller, lesser known school, Georgia Southern, a school that does not even award PhDs in biology, is hosting it. I'm not sure what that says about Mississippi in general, as well as its schools' reputations within the sciences and the Southeast. I'm sure that department by department, Ole Miss has great programs. Heck, I'm pretty sure Ga Southern does not have a law or medical college, but finding out something like that makes me stop and think about where Mississippi is at right now, economically and socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
If I were studying the sciences, I would apply at Mississippi State over Ole Miss. The people I know who graduated from Ole Miss are primarily employed in real estate, banking, law, business and sales.

Here in TN, Ole Miss has a reputation as a party school that is easy to get into. It has the least stringent application standards of the schools you mentioned. I am from Memphis, and my dad's side of the family went there. A few friends of my teenage sons go there now.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If I were studying the sciences, I would apply at Mississippi State over Ole Miss. The people I know who graduated from Ole Miss are primarily employed in real estate, banking, law, business and sales.

Here in TN, Ole Miss has a reputation as a party school that is easy to get into. It has the least stringent application standards of the schools you mentioned. I am from Memphis, and my dad's side of the family went there. A few friends of my teenage sons go there now.
You do realize a lot of people go to Ole Miss, majoring biology and go to med school right?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
You do realize a lot of people go to Ole Miss, majoring biology and go to med school right?
Yep. Just no doctors I know.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM

13 posts, read 29,741 times
I was born and raised in Grenada, MS (45 minutes south from Ole Miss in Oxford). Although I have seen Ole Miss many times, I have never really hang out there to get the feeling of the campus.

I almost picked Ole Miss until I went on the campus tour during a busy day of Spring 2006 semester. I couldn't believe at the number of uppity people on a single campus. I decided not to have any part of it.

After visiting a few SEC schools, I ended up picking the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR and became a Razorback. The best decision I have ever made! Of course, we didn't have The Grove (famous party haven) but Fayetteville/booming Northwest Arkansas is still an awesome place to learn compared to Oxford.

For medical school or law school, Ole Miss is the best. For all others especially sciences, Mississippi State is the best. For Fine Arts, Music, Dance, and Drama, University of Southern MS is the best.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackFan1 View Post
I was born and raised in Grenada, MS (45 minutes south from Ole Miss in Oxford). Although I have seen Ole Miss many times, I have never really hang out there to get the feeling of the campus.

I almost picked Ole Miss until I went on the campus tour during a busy day of Spring 2006 semester. I couldn't believe at the number of uppity people on a single campus. I decided not to have any part of it.

After visiting a few SEC schools, I ended up picking the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR and became a Razorback. The best decision I have ever made! Of course, we didn't have The Grove (famous party haven) but Fayetteville/booming Northwest Arkansas is still an awesome place to learn compared to Oxford.

For medical school or law school, Ole Miss is the best. For all others especially sciences, Mississippi State is the best. For Fine Arts, Music, Dance, and Drama, University of Southern MS is the best.
OKaaaay. You'll get a chance to relate that tale during your job interview.

Q: "Why did you pick Arkansas"?
A: ("See above")
Q: "Next!"

Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OKaaaay. You'll get a chance to relate that tale during your job interview.

Q: "Why did you pick Arkansas"?
A: ("See above")
Q: "Next!"
I can see SEC rivalries still remain hot.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 PM

But to the OP. You and me are going on similar journeys in regards to this. I'll be visiting the Ole Miss campus in 3 months. And this coming after a fairly rocky family life about them NOT wanting me to go there.

All in all, I think you'd fair well.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM

21 posts, read 52,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
But to the OP. You and me are going on similar journeys in regards to this. I'll be visiting the Ole Miss campus in 3 months. And this coming after a fairly rocky family life about them NOT wanting me to go there.

All in all, I think you'd fair well.
Thanks. I feel good about both Oxford and Ole Miss, and my chances at getting accepted. Academically I feel that my program, the Biology Dept., is pretty decent, at the very least. They award PhDs, have an ongoing USDA forestry partnership, and have several faculty from institutions like Cornell.

Oxford might take some getting used to with the slower pace and conservatism, especially if the latter is quite fervent, but it doesn't seem like it would be an overwhelming change from North Florida. I could be wrong, hopefully not. My visit and meeting with my potential grad advisor will go a long ways toward informing my decision.

Forgot to mention that a couple of people in my family have reservations about Mississippi a well. Seems like we have quite a similar situation.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palustris View Post
Thanks. I feel good about both Oxford and Ole Miss, and my chances at getting accepted. Academically I feel that my program, the Biology Dept., is pretty decent, at the very least. They award PhDs, have an ongoing USDA forestry partnership, and have several faculty from institutions like Cornell.

Oxford might take some getting used to with the slower pace and conservatism, especially if the latter is quite fervent, but it doesn't seem like it would be an overwhelming change from North Florida. I could be wrong, hopefully not. My visit and meeting with my potential grad advisor will go a long ways toward informing my decision.

Forgot to mention that a couple of people in my family have reservations about Mississippi a well. Seems like we have quite a similar situation.
That we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi