Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in a dry county? In Mississippi, does this mean that it is illegal to possess, purchase, and drink alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,603 times
Yes, you are correct. Although some allow you to order by the glass at restaurants and buy beer and they don't allow liquor or liquor stores. So it really depends on where you are talking about. Where I live you can now get beer or wine, but no liquor. I'm not sure if you can get in trouble for possessing liquor , for example if you were bringing it home from purchasing it in another county.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
These laws vary from dry county to dry county, best I remember about 30 of the 82 counties have some type of "dryness."  Although within these counties, there may be "wet" municipalities.

No matter what you saw in "Smokey and the Bandit" there aren’t going to be roadblocks at the county line with the local constabulary searching your car for beer and/or liquor. You likely will not spend much time in these dry counties, unless you have a connection there (i.e., family).

Many of these laws are ignored by both the public and law enforcement.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 AM

261 posts, read 418,206 times
I don't understand why any county, especially a conservative/Republican county would be dry. Since conservatives/Republicans are all about keeping the govt out of our lives, yet they are ok with the govt telling it's adult citizens they cannot drink an ice cold beer on a Sunday afternoon while watching the football game. How intrusive is that, telling grown men and women what they cannot put in their body? Sounds to me like there are too many moneyed/influential people in those dry county's who are more concerned with what their neighbor is doing than what's going on in their own life.

I don't drink alcohol and I don't live in a dry county, but if I did, I think I would leave that county at the first opportunity. I hope I never become the type of person that I would tell another adult person they can't drink a beer or else they'll be arrested and possibly thrown in jail, based on legal and moral grounds. I'm thankful my parents and grandparents were not like that.

Just what are these people who live in these dry county's thinking when they support the county being dry? Do they think they are accomplishing anything? They kinda ruin it for everybody else.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 02-06-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Mississippi's "wet" counties tend to be along the Mississippi River and Gulf Coast, and those containing its largest towns.

Mississippi Department of Revenue - Alcoholic Beverage Control Wet/Dry Map

Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I don't understand why any county, especially a conservative/Republican county would be dry. Since conservatives/Republicans are all about keeping the govt out of our lives, yet they are ok with the govt telling it's adult citizens they cannot drink an ice cold beer on a Sunday afternoon while watching the football game. How intrusive is that, telling grown men and women what they cannot put in their body? Sounds to me like there are too many moneyed/influential people in those dry county's who are more concerned with what their neighbor is doing than what's going on in their own life.

I don't drink alcohol and I don't live in a dry county, but if I did, I think I would leave that county at the first opportunity. I hope I never become the type of person that I would tell another adult person they can't drink a beer or else they'll be arrested and possibly thrown in jail, based on legal and moral grounds. I'm thankful my parents and grandparents were not like that.

Just what are these people who live in these dry county's thinking when they support the county being dry? Do they think they are accomplishing anything? They kinda ruin it for everybody else.

Well, in these conservative Republican counties you have a lot of conservative Christians who believe in the evils of alcohol and the bad behavior it brings.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Well, in these conservative Republican counties you have a lot of conservative Christians who believe in the evils of alcohol and the bad behavior it brings.
I went to college in Arkansas in a dry county and it was exactly this way. Although, the local bootleggers were well known, you could buy at one of 2 wet townships not that far from the city limits or you could do like I did - bring in the booze from your hometown. My parents lived 25 miles away and I would stock up on weekends and bring it back. There was a limit of a case of beer and one fifth of hard liquor that could be brought in. That didn't stop me from putting a keg in the front seat of my Honda CRX and putting a football jersey and hat on it. I had friends later ask me who was riding with me.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Because that stops people from drinking..

Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LOL. Dry areas cause more problems than non-dry areas. People have to drive to purchase alcohol, and are more likely to drink and drive.

Missouri has very lax alcohol laws, but I was simply curious about how dry counties work.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol. Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi