Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times

Advertisements

Mississippians,

Mississippi is undeniably the South. No one questions that. However a lot of other Southern states seem to be Southern w/ an asteric. I think one of the main reasons for Mississippi's undeniable southernness is that it doesn't have many major cities that have attracted a lot of external migration from the midwest, west coast, and northeast therefore it is retained a lot of it's historical southern culture.

Personally, I grew up in the extreme southwestern tip of Virginia in a town called Bristol which shares a border with Tennessee(bristol motor speedway). Despite Virginia's historic spot as the capital of the confederacy and arguably the start point of a lot of southern culture...it's status is often called into question because of the sprawing DC suburbs. Also, NC is often called into question because of all the migrants to the tech-sector in the Raleigh area have diluted it's culture a bit. A lot of southerners make claims about TN and AR being almost midwestern. Florida obviously has the migration issue in the southern portion of the state...as well as the hispanic influence...Some people make the claim that TX is more of it's own kinda area as opposed to apart of the south...It seems like most southern states have spots that some people claim aren't as southern..........except MS of course.

So my question is as follows: What states do native Mississippians consider Southern and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Any state with a collectively "Southern" state of mind!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM

159 posts, read 263,667 times
For me its anything south of the Second Mason-Dixon line, not the british-colonial one but the the civil war one!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Is that the case with most Mississippians? Just using the Mason Dixon line? I personally like the Sweet Tea or Kudzu line...they seem to be more culturally accurate.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Is that the case with most Mississippians? Just using the Mason Dixon line? I personally like the Sweet Tea or Kudzu line...they seem to be more culturally accurate.
well lets see if not south of the M-D line, than every southerner i have ever met says any state that was in the confederation, including as high as Virginia.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder View Post
well lets see if not south of the M-D line, than every southerner i have ever met says any state that was in the confederation, including as high as Virginia.
VA wasn't just "IN"

We were the CAPITAL!

The Executive Seat of Dixie!

haha

Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
VA wasn't just "IN"

We were the CAPITAL!

The Executive Seat of Dixie!

haha
I am gonna guess Richmond, if that spelling is right. but i figure i would stress as high as Virginia because to most people up north they would not see it as a southern state, especially that high up the east coast.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder View Post
I am gonna guess Richmond, if that spelling is right. but i figure i would stress as high as Virginia because to most people up north they would not see it as a southern state, especially that high up the east coast.
Yeah...I've talked with people in the past that wouldn't consider VA southern which I personally don't get....but most of it is associated with immediately linking the entire state of VA to the DC area or the assumption that the south only equates to the deeeep south. I've always spoken with people that don't associate North Carolina with the south anymore either which I can't wrap my head around.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Some parts of Southern states ain't as Southern as others! For example, south Florida and the North Carolina "Research Triangle". On the other hand, southern Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia are kinda Southern.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some parts of Southern states ain't as Southern as others! For example, south Florida and the North Carolina "Research Triangle". On the other hand, southern Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia are kinda Southern.
Yep...same goes for NOVA...it and the Research Triangle are often paralleled...once you leave the northern VA suburbs it changes 100%. But I agree with you...lots of places that aren't traditionally considered "the south" are pretty southern acting. I feel like WV (specifically southern WV) is SUPER southern in culture. I've never been to Southern Illinois or Indiana but I agree with Southeastern Ohio as well. SE Ohio is very much apart of Central Appalachia which is where it pulls it's "southernness" from. I've also heard the bootheel of Missouri is. I think the south can be better defined by regions than state boundaires anyway. Like to me...The true south (areas where sweet tea is always on the menu, southern accents are thick, life moves a little slower, college football is king, people still go to church on sundays, yall is heard often, as is Yes ma'am and No Sir) are as follows:

-Virginia (outside of NOVA suburbs)
-West Virginia (South of Charleston)
-Kentucky (Excluding Cincy suburbs)
-North Carolina (Excluding the research triangle)
-South Carolina
-Florida (excluding South of Orlando)
-Georgia (I know this may be met with some contention by excluding some of the Northeastern suburbs of Atlanta...My uncle lived in Duluth and Alpharetta no accents were present and southern culture seems VERY watered down because of all of the migrants coming to ATL for work....same situation as NOVA and the Research Triangle......danged migrants!)
-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Louisiana
-Arkansas
-Tennessee
-Texas (Eastern and some of the middle....I just don't feel like the pandhandle and west Texas are southern...they are more southwestern to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi