U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM

268 posts, read 660,589 times

Advertisements

It depends on what you are looking for......
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM

767 posts, read 1,334,479 times
Ocean Springs is a very nice town.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM

268 posts, read 660,589 times
It is a nice place. I loved living in Gulfport. I liked it better than Biloxi. My sis lived in Bay St. Louis before the storm and loved it, but I don't know much about it lately. Ocean Springs is a very nice, well-rounded town. Housing is a bit higher, but schools are really good there.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 AM

739 posts, read 1,097,243 times
I'm looking for a place to retire that's attractive, safe, decent weather. It would have to be a tolerant place where black and white aren't openly hostile to each other but can get along and be good neighbors.

I'm thinking Jackson because I see it has museums, colleges and some of the cultural things I'm interested in and I might be able to contribute to the community. I'm a big blues fan. We're artsy, liberal New Englanders but we lived in rural Texas for a while.

I want to keep an open mind about Mississippi, not be naive, but not buy into the stereotypes northerners have about the south because I liked Texas. I'd like to believe what posters are saying about how it's not the 1950's in MS anymore.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM

401 posts, read 645,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Phil, or any others who might know,

Could you tell me more about the Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods in Jackson, what streets are in there, or the boundary streets? Thanks
Fondren and Belhaven are adjacent neighborhoods. Fondren's to the north of Lakeland Drive, Belhaven to the South.

Two Private liberal arts colleges are here: Belhaven College (Presbyrterian) and Millsaps College (Methodist). Although these are "Church Schools", they are not fundamentalist in orientation (Certainly not Millsaps, whose social climate is moderate-to-liberal even by national standards. It's not Berkeley or Swathmore, but still no miniature Brigham Young or Baylor either). As for entertainment and news, the "liberal alt" paper in town, The Jackson Free Press is a good place to start looking. I think these neighborhoods are good as a cultural bridge - so to speak. Being in Mississippi, it cant' help but understand the rest of the state, yet it's not so steeped in deep tradition that it's hostile to non-traditional values.

The "Main Drags" going through them are: State Street, Old Canton Road, and Meadowbrook Road. The heart of Fondren, i.e. Cups Coffee House, Fondren Corner, plus several night spots, and such is at the intersection of State St. and Old Canton. From I-55, take the Lakeland Drive exit and turn west (at St. Dominic's and University Medical Center)

As for the specific boundaries:

Eastern Boundary: I-55

Northern Boundary: Northside Drive

Western Boundary: Indefinite, but the N-S Railroad Track about 1 mile to the west of 55 is a good marker, IMO

Southern Boundary: Strictly speaking, Fortification St. -- BUT, to the south of there is Belhaven Heights, which has the same basic cultural outlook as Belhaven, although still a little rough-around-the-edges (meaning, it's not crime-free, but it's not absolutely riddled with it-- just the usual burglaries and property crime, rather than hideous violent crime)

Belhaven Heights is south of Fortification, east of State Street, down to High Street.

Last edited by Phil75230; 12-12-2007 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM

415 posts, read 804,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
Come down to the Coast. Sure, there are black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods, but there alot of integrated ones as well. In addition, schools are integrated. I teach in 50/50 black white school. If you want to see alot of races, the Coast is a place in Mississippi to be. There are alot of communities with black, white, Asian......I have met people from all over the world in South Mississippi. With our universities, we are a very diverse area.

Has the coast been rebuilt yet after Katrina?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,054,243 times
[quote=undertheironsea;2148640]To be truthful, in some areas, some blacks hate whites, and some whites hate blacks. It's not a universal truth, but it happens. There are some places in Mississippi that if you're white, I would NOT advise you to go through, just as there are if you were black.

The wonder of life is that sometimes some people just don't get along. I've lived in an area where I've gotten beaten up just for being white, and at the same time, had a black best friend.[quote]

Jeez where is this? Sounds like some neighborhoods here in Philly(PA).

Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 31,432 times
It has come a long way since Katrina... not 100% but it will get there. There is still lots of great things about the coast..we even had Disney on Ice last week..and if you are a hockey fan the sea wolves...we are rebuilding

Old 12-20-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 26,978 times
It's interesting that a "minister" started this thread of discussion. If you have been to the Jackson Metro Area, you would know that there are no segregated ares in the worst slum areas. Those are all black and they are poverty stricken, drug ridden and crime ridden. In the midst of those areas are wonderful, ordinary Christian people who cannot get out. However, in the "taxpaying" areas, there are both black, white, oriental and hispanic taxpaying citizens in neighborhoods of houses that range from $85,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 or more. Any more questions?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 PM

275 posts, read 793,627 times
I lived in Gulfport for many years, have had some good and bad neighbors.
we have a mix of races, and lifestyles.

to me, It doesn't matter what color you are, but how you act and live.
there are trashy people in all races, along with great ones.

As far as Black church's go, I think that is in reference to the style
of worship, not the color of it's members.

-Just my $.02
-Henry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi