U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,186,050 times

Advertisements

So it looks like there doesn't seem to be any segregated areas anywhere in the state if even the biggest city is not segregated.
So there aren't even any 'neighborhoods' or developments anywhere that would be like 'yuppie' for example etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 59,858 times
Ocean Springs is a delightful "artsey" community on coast between Biloxi and Pascagoula.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,186,050 times
How about Biloxi itself? Is Ocean Springs a big enough town?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,259 times
Default Fully integrated...

I think this is the most integrated place in the country. I am white, my husband is black and we are definately not the only ones. Kids get along fine, grown folks get along as well as any grown folks can. As long as YOU dont worry about the invisable race lines, no one you encounter will either.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,607 times
StuckPA Of course there are yuppie areas. There are economic differences just like anywhere else. There are developments with huge expensive homes and some with strictly older more modest homes and there are rundown neighborhoods. Now I only know about my immediate area but here if you can afford it, you can live in it no matter what ethnicity or race you are. Separation by economic status is another occurrence that goes well beyond Mississippi. I am not sure it is even an issue since "moving on up" has always been part of American society and if there is equal opportunity it doesn't seem a problem, to me at least.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 40,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiedenharn View Post
I thought we were past the black/white thing. I know in Mississippi, we try to get past that and look at people for who they are inside.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MRB, WE are past it here in MS, for the most part. Moderator cut: let's talk about ideas, okay?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-29-2007 at 02:56 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
MODERATOR: This thread is on integrated neighborhoods in Mississippi. It is not on racism, it is not on crime, it is not on the historical significance of race or injustice in this country. The question is "are there integrated neighborhoods in Mississippi?" I'd appreciate it if everyone would return to topic. There's a whole forum called Other Controversies for other controveries.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,360 times
Smile i live in picayune ms

we currently live in picayune mississippi. before the hurricane it was an everyone knows your name kinda town. since the hurricane it is a melting pot, but i have to say is that the balcks and whites get along well together here. even though the whites out number blacks 2-1 there are no problems between the two. our house is currently on the market to purchase a bigger one, as far as the time that we lived here we have never had any problems with crime or anything of that nature. we have four wheelers sitting on the back porch, we leave the cars unlocked and sometimes even the house.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,360 times
well that is what i am saying is that we live in an integrated neighborhood and to us everyone is looked at the same.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM

80 posts, read 254,079 times
Mississippi communities have come a long way. There remains old ideas. I see more judgement on a persons merit. In general, even old ideas can be broken down. One issue that does cause separation is financial. I look at the white flight from Memphis as example. This is common everywhere and will continue. The entire nation and maybe the world has this as an issue. Even China has the financial class developing. It seems to be a fact that as incomes rise, there is a move toward living to this standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi