U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

420 posts, read 1,117,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
Uhmm, When I lived in the north it was not uncommon to see blacks and whites socializing together. As in visiting each others home (unannounced), partying together etc. The only time there was perhaps so divide is as in Mississippi the issue of racism occuring. Whites had a more difficult time acknowledging it's existence. My experience has been a sort of uncomfortableness that occurs when there is an obvious friendship between the opposite races. A close friend of mine and I still either draws stares of interest, or smiles from others. The neighborhood we moved to was predominantly white when we moved here now it is still transitioning. I would really love to know myself where is that elusive forever moving integrated neighborhood. "There goes the neighborhood" must be still whispered in many places. But we are still in America aren't we?

My best friends in Wisconsin were white. We have been friends since birth, and are still friends. They have thanksgiving every year at our house. We would be even closer, but the fact is I accepted the Lord and they did not. That is the only thing that really divided us. Our families have been through everything together, and have always been there to support one another. My best friend sister recently almost died, and her mom called myself and my husband because we are ordained ministers. She was healed by the power of God. We are black and they are white, but that has never been an issue with us. I love them with all my heart, and will always be there for them. My parents love them as if they were there own. They are more than friends they are family. I agree with you how the northern parts of Wisconsin, some still have racial issues. I just wish people would change, I guess we can hope that if we can change for the better we can impact the world. I have not found that intergrated area yet in Mississippi. When I visited Mississippi I felt that the people down there were nicer than the people in Wisconsin. I talked to the guy from Pearl, and he told us not to move to Jackson, because it was so bad. I looking into the Madison, Ridgeland, Brandon, Hattiesburg, and Desoto area. Not sure just yet, I really appreciate all of your comments. You guys all seem very nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 AM

151 posts, read 648,405 times
Someone mentioned on here that Fondren and Belhaven are really great neighborhoods in Jackson. I agree. So is Alta Woods where we live. I will not discourage anyone from moving to Jackson, I actually encourage it. We need diversity, may very well benefit from people of diverse backsgrounds, races, and cultures to move here. Many people outside of Jackson speak negatively about it, but the reality is that crime occurs everywhere, including Madison, Ridgeland, etc. I do think those places are easy on the eyes though, but they are suburban little cities. Check out Fondren and Belhaven if you all can you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 PM

81 posts, read 281,356 times
Default crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
Someone mentioned on here that Fondren and Belhaven are really great neighborhoods in Jackson. I agree. So is Alta Woods where we live. I will not discourage anyone from moving to Jackson, I actually encourage it. We need diversity, may very well benefit from people of diverse backsgrounds, races, and cultures to move here. Many people outside of Jackson speak negatively about it, but the reality is that crime occurs everywhere, including Madison, Ridgeland, etc. I do think those places are easy on the eyes though, but they are suburban little cities. Check out Fondren and Belhaven if you all can you may be pleasantly surprised.

You do need to tell people about the crime in those areas though. The houses are beautiful, but the areas surrounding the nice parts of the neighborhoods are a breeding ground for crime and decreasing property values. I say this as someone who is a 4th generation Hinds Co. resident for 50 years.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 AM

6 posts, read 17,441 times
I am not sure what neighborhoods you looked in, but you would be hard pressed not to find that most neighborhoods here are blacks and whites. The neighborhood I live in off Old Canton Road is mostly black, I am probably one of the few white people in here...you will rarely find a neighborhood in this metro area that isn't like that. I love where I live, so I am not complaining - everyone is great here

Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
My parents are in the process of moving back to Mississippi. I have a sister in Mississippi and many relatives. In Wisconsin our next door neighbors are white, I do not see that in Mississippi. I hear the only place you guys have intergrated churches is in the Jackson area. I was down in Mississippi and I was going to visit this particular church, and I was told that it was a "white church," that is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I feel the white southerners are very delightful, and friendly, I did not get that racist feeling from them at all. I'm just saying can you tell me some intergrated neighborhoods in Mississippi.
I just think they meant the majority of the Parishoners were white, you could have gone there if you wanted to, if they are of God they would have welcomed you.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

36 posts, read 157,233 times
Well, I live in Madison, and my neighborhood is integrated, as is a far more upscale Madison neighborhood my son and his family live in.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM

36 posts, read 157,233 times
Fonden Presbyterian (USA) has one African American member and one Choctaw. I wish there were more. However, we have 2 college students who are African American who receive scholarships to sing in our choir. We had 2 last year as well. The man who graduated last year is in Juilliard! The man we have this year is equally fantastic. And the soprano we have has a beautiful voice. We're fortunate to have them in our choir.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 PM

15 posts, read 83,041 times
Thumbs up Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Well you did start the thread with "intergrated neighborhoods in MIssissippi". Now you have changed it to "racism". Come down, stay awhile, walk thru some schools, walk thru some neighborhoods. I don't have to tell you that a federal law was passed that intergrated all schools and another law that requires all neighborhoods to be intergrated.
Some cities did this more successfully than others. Some areas simply created private schools and the areas are still basically segregated. I think it depends on where you go. Some areas of Mississippi have integrated fairly nicely. Some others have not.

If I had to say avoid a place, perhaps the Mississippi Delta. I think you'll find some areas in North Mississippi more palatable.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM

56,301 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Default What's interesting is......

as a person that grew up in suburban Syracuse, NY, i was surprised when my father told me about how he had a White friend growing up in the 50's and 60's in Tchula. This kid that was a friend of my father's, had a father who was a politician(Love, I think was his last name). So, there were signs even back then, but the law of the land prevailed in making that a reality in other apsects of life there. So, I would think that a lot of it is hype, but I'm sure there is some legitimacy to reports of segregation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi