U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 52,315 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job offer in Olive Branch. We currently live in a very small town in northern Wisconsin. I have been trying to do research on the area. I have 3 boys,(11, 5, and 2) so the schools are an important issue for us. I have found info about OB schools and really like their test scores as opposed to the surrounding areas.

I would really like to know more about the "life" in the area. Such as things to do, places to go, etc. I would also love to see photos of the area. Is it pretty? What does the lanscape look like?

I am also looking for a house to rent, or possibly rent to own. I would need at least 3 bedrooms. We have a very well behaved dog, but she can be an outside pet if need be, she's old and just lays around, no digging or barking. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive AND in a good neighborhood, yeah I know, wishfull thinking!

I was also wondering if you can choose what schools the kids go to or if you have to attend the one where you live in OB. If I rent a house and later move, I wouldn't want to change the kids.

Any info is helpful, You can post replies here or contact me by email. lalexander98@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Lynn
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 PM

12,167 posts, read 18,321,234 times
I can't comment about the schools in Olive Branch but I can give you an overall view. Olive Branch is a suburb of Memphis and the "things to do" mostly revolve around Memphis activities. Olive Branch is growing like crazy and the infrastructure itself has yet to catch up with the influx of people moving out of Memphis and the housing. That is to say for shopping, malls, nightlife, movie theathers, etc you have to go up to Memphis. Not a big deal since Memphis is just up the road. Whitehaven to the west in Desoto county is starting to get it's share of shopping and entertainment facilities however.

Memphis has it's share of problems - crime, corruption, dirt, thus you have that to deal with as a next door neighbor. The further south you can get away from Memphis the better. I've heard Olive Branch has excellent schools although like I said I can't comment from experience. Compared to Memphis schools anything is excellent.

Housing is abundant and cheap, both for rental or purchase. We still have plenty of land here although the horse pastures and grazing land is quickly being taken over by housing developments. Many of the new neighborhoods will be filled with commuters from Memphis, using Olive Branch as a bedroom community to get away from King Willie's (the Memphis mayor) crime-ridden empire in Memphis.

Olive Branch has it's little historic town square and several good parks and golf courses. Aside from that there is not much of an identity as it will be overshadowed by it's northern neighbor. It is, however, a town in transition and I can predict in 10 years it could possible have major traffic and possible crime problems.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:05 PM

12,167 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Whitehaven to the west in Desoto county is starting to get it's share of shopping and entertainment facilities however.
Hey the edit button doesn't work! I meant SOUTHAVEN in Desoto, not Whitehaven in Shelby county. Do NOT drive into Whitehaven if you care for your personal safety.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 52,315 times
Sorry it took so long to reply, my computer was down. Thank you so much for your post. I have also been looking at Hernando, I like smaller towns. I want a good place to raise my boys and a good school. I grew up in a town of 300 people and now live in a town with 1000. Really like the "hometown" feel. I am worried that Olive Branch would be too big for my taste. Any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 PM

27 posts, read 137,611 times
I am a lifetime resident of Olive Branch and would have to recommed Hernando. OB is growing to big too fast. New subdivisions pop up every day. As far as schools go, you cannot choose which one your child will go to. It all depends on where you live. Stay away from Center Hill Middle/High school!! Your realtor can tell you which subdivisions must go there. You can also check with a realtor in the area to find a rental house.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,427 times
Default re relocation to Olive Branch

Hi! I'm hoping you can help me with some information about the Olive Branch area. My husband, 2 girls and I live in a suburb of Denver and my husband is being transferred to Memphis by his employer. We are hoping to find a smaller suburb of Memphis with good schools and a low crime rate.

I see that you mentioned you were looking into Olive Branch or Hernando. What can you tell me about that area? Did you end up moving there? Do you know much about the schools or housing? We are hoping to get down there in the next 6 weeks to start looking for housing. My husband's transfer takes place in July.

Any info would be wonderful! You can post a reply here or email me at mel_n_dave@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Melanie

Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,391 times
We came from Shelby County Schools in Memphis, TN. We don't have any problems with Center Hill Middle/High but that could be because our child is smart and is very well behaved. We prefer a tight ran ship. The first yr. wasn't perfect. You do have to look at the SORRY parents that didn't hardly attempt starting a PTO but someone took my money. IT can be hard when you have middle school students in with high school students. That is a huge jump for parents and kids. High school students are on the way to adulthood immediately following graduation if not before. I am glad they have an agenda to carry around and sign. Parents should have to be responsible for their underage children. It sure got my attention when I missed signing it. As far as, inexperienced teachers, my kid had one new teacher and that was for drama. The pre-algrebra teacher has been teaching for a long time and is eligible for retirement. One of the science teachers at one time ran a military academy and she is a little tough. My child had A's all yr. and is an athlete. MS athletic standards say your child has to have a 75 average to participate which means they could have a 50 in Math and 100 in p.e. and they would be eligible. If they have such grades by the way in Math or English that means they will fail whatever grade they are in. At Center Hill Middle/High you must have a 75 in each class. I would rather have a smart kid than a SUPERB athlete whom by the way could get hurt and then what would they do? duh, I dunno. I want parents to grow up. We have to be responsible for our own children. I like the car rider line because it makes drivers pay attention even if it is a little annoying to wait in a long line, I feel my child is safer when drivers are forced to stop and go. Children at this age still don't pay attention. I love Center Hill. My child only missed 2 days because of the love they have for this school. This yr. it was sixth to 10th grade next yr. will be 7-11 and the following yr. the middle and high schools will be separate. This school will get better. By the way, Mr. Loper came from a horrible school, when I have to go to games at his old school, I fear for my life. Every school has a dress code. My child only forgot a belt one time. Most work places have a dress code so get used to it. Haven't you heard the saying "When one person breaks the rules everyone suffers"?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 14,391 times
Real estate agents by law can not tell you not to live in a certain area because they think it is bad. They won't risk their real estate license by telling you where to live.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM

27 posts, read 137,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memawboyz View Post
Real estate agents by law can not tell you not to live in a certain area because they think it is bad. They won't risk their real estate license by telling you where to live.
Real estate agents cannot tell you which areas are "bad" per say but they can tell you which school district each subdivision is in. You can also check with the DeSoto county school board to verify which address goes to which schools. Olive Branch schools are great and Lewisburg would have to be next. Leadership there is exceptional. Especially the middle & high schools.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
The schools here are great. We have one of the top Algebra scores in the state and the teachers are paid due to success. This means if they like their job they will stay and help every single student if they have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi