U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 23,441 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We just found out my husband got the promotion he applied for in Vicksburg :-) now what? We are relocating from Colorado and have 3 boys (10,7 and 3). After doing some research we can't decide where to live. We are coming from a small town where my kids go to a k-12 school. It would be nice to find a smaller town. We have decided on Clinton, Madison, or Brandon? Can anyone tell us anything about the schools in each, are there activities for kids (my boys love playing baseball, basketball and soccer). Which neighborhoods are best? I thought I had decided on living in Madison but that's an hour for my husband to travel to and from work each day. Is Madison really worth that extra drive or would Clinton be better for our family? It's so hard when you know absolutely nothing about the area Thanks for all the help and advice...it will help a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:43 PM

803 posts, read 763,686 times
I would pick Madison.

Be sure to check https://www.schooldigger.com/ pay attention to students eligible for free/reduced lunch). If you are from small town CO, then your kids are probably not used to a wide range of racial diversity and Madison may be a better fit.

Both Clinton and Madison are nice, safe towns and have a wife range of kids sports (no lacrosse). Brandon is too far.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,592,608 times
These are all nice communities. Madison is the wealthiest and along with neighboring Ridgeland has the most to offer in shopping, neighborhoods, restaurants, schools, and activities for children. Madison was rated one of the ten best towns in America for families by Family Circle magazine. Any neighborhoods that feed into Madison Central and Germantown high schools are good. If you're interested in private schools (expensive but excellent), look at St. Andrew's Episcopal in Ridgeland (next to Madison). They send a lot of kids to Princeton, Stanford, etc, as well as kids getting full scholarships to honors colleges at universities in Mississippi. Madison Central is public but they have about 20 national merit scholars every year.
Brandon is also very nice...this is a big area because there are really two areas considered to be Brandon...the area along Lakeland Drive and the Reservoir in Rankin County (virtually all very new, nice and safe with lots of shopping etc) and the actual city of Brandon which also has well rated schools and nice neighborhoods etc, the difference being it's an actual town versus just a suburban area. These are very big areas for families, with all the sports etc. Anything feeding into Northwest Rankin and Brandon high schools is good. I don't think Brandon is much further than Madison, maybe an extra 5 minutes as long you stay near I-20. In Brandon, look around Hwy 471 and Trickham Bridge Rd just north of I-20...a pretty area of woodlands, hills, and some nice residential areas.
Clinton is more quiet but also very nice and the schools as noted above feature slightly more socioeconomic diversity and are very well rated. You could also consider living in Vicksburg and going with Catholic schools to save on the commute. There are many nice neighborhoods around Vicksburg. Look west of town along Indiana Ave past the country club and northwest of town around Oak Ridge Rd. Vicksburg is surrounded by beautiful terrain (hills, ridges, ravines, hardwood forests) which makes for a very nice spread if you want a house on acreage with trees, hills, horses, etc.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM

Thank you so much. That gives us some ideas of where to start. Now, just need to decide if it's worth the extra drive and gas for my husband or not. We plan on taking a house shopping trip next month. I think we will maybe rent for the first year to make sure the kids are happy with the school and then purchase. Does anybody know if there is someone offering temporary housing in these areas? The company my husband works for will pay 2 months temp housing until we can all move out there this summer?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Madison/Gluckstadt is full of young upper middle class families, many of whom are not from the Jackson area; therefore, it may be easier to assimilate there.

I would look at some of the newer complexes in Ridgeland if you are going to rent (don't buy in Ridgeland) as Madison doesn't allow apartments. You can find homes for rent in the area, but it will likely be very difficult.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,592,608 times
If Madison is too long a commute, you could also compromise and live in Clinton but go with private schools in north Jackson and Madison County.
In that scenario your husband would commute 30 minutes to Vicksburg and you and your kids would commute 20 minutes to north Jackson/Madison for private schools. Some pleasant neighborhoods in Clinton are just south of I-20 across the interstate from Mississippi College, so quick access to the interstate and no traffic in either direction by and large.

One last point on Vicksburg, it has its pros and cons with its share of lower income neighborhoods directly in town etc (also amid lots of historical architecture etc), but there is money in Vicksburg and there is beautiful land around town. The Catholic schools are fine. So you would be getting potentially a nice home on wooded acreage, perhaps high up a hill with a deck looking back into a wooded ravine etc, or land with horses nearby etc (or for that matter just a regular new subdivision) and a 5 minute commute for everybody.
If you go with Madison or Brandon area, you're getting a suburban lifestyle with the same kind of shopping, restaurants, etc that you might find in suburban Colorado. By comparison, Vicksburg is not like that at all. It has the basics (Kroger, Home Depot) and some speciality stores but mainly you're getting a quiet true smaller town with some racial and socioeconomic diversity and a lot of character (e.g. lots of those big, older mansions from the early 1900s and a few from the 1850s), personality, and history.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM

If you can find a Madison neighborhood on the west side of I55 with easy Natchez Trace access, he will have an easy (as in light traffic and few stops) 50-mile commute to work.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Yes, Brickpatio I have been looking in Vicksburg also and have found some pretty nice homes on acreage that my family would love. I would someday like to have a garden, goats and chickens :-) so maybe that would be the better route. The school my kids attend now has the option of traditional and montessori. My oldest is in traditional (5th grade now) and our middle son is in 1st grade montessori. I had convinced myself that I would just have to put them all in public school. $1500/month for 3 boys in Private may be a little hard to swallow at first ;-) I did notice that both Jackson and Vicksburg have a k-5 montessori program. Do you know anyone using the montessori school in either city?

Last edited by Tpoirier; 03-26-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info on location viverlibre. Do you have kids in the Madison school district? Is it open enrollment? Meaning, do we need to look in specific areas to be in say Germantown Middle school? Or is it that if we live anywhere in Madison we can pick any Madison School? I have found a few houses for rent in Madison and Brandon on craigslist, but haven't got any responses yet. Absolutely nothing worth looking at in Vicksburg or Clinton. I guess that's why I'm being pushed towards Madison and Brandon. Can you suggest any churches or ways to get to know other people in the area when we do move? I will definitely sign the kids up for some sporting activities this summer. I'd really like them to make some friends before school starts up again. Especially my oldest....he starts middle school this year and he has so many friends here that it makes me sad we have to leave. It's always easier for the younger ones.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,143,846 times
Are you really going to sentence your husband to a 100 mile per day commute? Really?

Please consider his mental health. Try harder for Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi