U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,440 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about laurel, MS? I might be moving there soon, and I have 2 children in elementary school. Do you have school choice there, or is school assignment chose by your address? Any other information about this town would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,605,631 times
Schooldigger.com lists Glade elementary school as the highest ranked elementary school in the county and West Jones High School as the top ranked high school in the county, based on standardized test scores. It appears to me that to live in those school zones you need to live outside the Laurel city school district just north of town. I have no idea about school choice; you might just call the Jones County school district and ask. Both of these schools ranked in the top 10 to 15% of all schools in the state, which is rather remarkable for a somewhat rural county, although Jones County is not that small with around 60,000 people.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,440 times
Thank you. I was able to find that information as well. I am looking for someone who actually lives in laurel, and had/has a child in the schools. I'm looking for info I can't find on the internet.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM

356 posts, read 1,217,438 times
I have lived in Laurel and I have lots of family there. You don't want to live in Laurel city school district. Look at Jones County district. I know there's an elementary school on highway 84 west of Laurel but I'm not sure of the name. I'll be going by there in a couple of days and I'll check the name for you. I don't know about Glade, but I do know West Jones is good. I'm pretty sure you have to go to school in the district where you live unless that's changed. You may have a problem finding a place to rent in West Jones district though.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,710 times
Hi..I am a retired teacher. I have taught in both the Laurel School District and Jones County Schools. Laurel School District is a fine school system. If you are looking for diversity; however, it is not for you. Ninety nine percent of the students are considered minority. Jones County School District has a mix of races. Both are highly rated as far as quality of education.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 PM

34 posts, read 36,451 times
Outside of the nicest most wealthy towns in Mississippi in the suburban areas of Jackson (Madison, Brandon, Pearl), Memphis (Desoto County), Oak Grove/West Hattiesburg or a few resort towns along the coast like Pass Christian...MS public schools are 90% or more black usually. White parents send their kids to private schools both for suoerior education and to protect their children from the very real threat of black on white racial violence (please do look up JESSSICA CHALMERS).

Even in towns that are 70% white like Corinth the schools especially middle and high schools are mostly black and even in 80+% black towns like Jackson you have private schools like Jackson Academy that are 99% white.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,605,631 times
Those data in the posting above on Mississippi public schools are really inaccurate. Schooldigger.com has comprehensive info on all schools in the state. Private schools enroll about 20% of white students in some areas like Jackson but the percentage for the state as a whole is much smaller, less than 10%.

If you doubt it, take a look at some sample cities like Meridian, Columbus, Laurel, Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Vicksburg, Brookhaven, McComb and Biloxi. In places like Meridian, Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Laurel, Brookhaven and Biloxi the figure is easily 10% or less. But even in places like McComb and Vicksburg in counties that are about 50% white and 50% black, the percentage of white students in private schools is about 17% in Vicksburg and about 30% in McComb (Pike County).

All you have to do is compare the number of student at North Pike High School versus the private school in town (Parklane). In Corinth which he references directly in the posting, city schools are fairly balanced at about 60% white students and the county schools are nearly 100% white students due to the demographics in that region.

According to my estimates, white students in Mississippi on average attend schools that are about 20 to 25% African-American (counting all schools), which are by far the most well-balanced and integrated schools in the nation.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 AM

808 posts, read 778,823 times
You may want to look at the communities of Oak Grove, Petal and Richton, some of the higher earners that work in Laurel live in these communities and send kids the public schools.

If you want to turn a profit, or just beak even, don't buy in Laurel. I have a cousin whose first house was a "starter home" in the city limits, and he can't sell it.

Laurel is not a bad town, but selling a home in the city can be tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi