U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno. 90 grand? It's just not all that big a deal.
Depends on what you make of it. Plenty of people make more. But a lot of people with advanced degrees in difficult fields end up making far less than that.

In a place like Madison, where people tend to focus their spending on things which will move them forward in life, 90k will get you farther than one might think. A quarter-million buys a decent little house there. A single person can afford to spend 45k on a car, which will buy a nice enough Lexus.

Madison people generally spend their time at work and at the gym, with spare moments devoted to decorating the house and adding to the plantings outside. OP is young (I'm guessing) and so will not need expensive dentistry or plastic surgery for a decade or two. That leaves room in the budget for building a superior wardrobe, and to build a portfolio of investments. And probably, someone with that salary can afford to see a personal trainer once a week. With a great body, a great haircut, and a superior wardrobe, a person can move ahead of the pack pretty fast.

Not drinking or smoking or having pets makes a paycheck go farther. With Internet hookups, single people don't need to waste money in bars, looking for partners (assuming they don't meet likely prospects at the gym - which, of course, they WILL). Dating women who pay their own way (and who are too busy for an expensive, time-wasting nightlife) certainly helps. Dating a high-powered lady professional means being available as a late-night booty call for a gal who has neither the time nor the patience for restaurants and 'entertainment'. But having talked to a cross-section of guys, that sort of arrangement beats having to haul some heifer around, to dinner and a movie and a bar.

People trying to exploit the wealthy Madison Market are unable to grasp the fact that the Madison Lifestyle does not include much more than work/gym/continuing education/raising the kids/investing/'growing the business'/improving the home... and church. There just isn't any time or money left over for much else. Anyway, 90 thou is plenty, for doing the things that single Madison People do (buy a nice house; buy a nice car; buy nice clothes; go to the gym; get on the Internet, and see if there is anyone new in town to have sex with, and if there IS, stand in front of mirrors somewhere at the gym and send him/her/them selfies of your rippling torso, and maybe your bits).

But I do understand how some people can make big salaries disappear without a trace. We were talking to a farmer up the coast a ways from here, who knows a guy in the Alaskan Fishing Industry. The guy makes staggering amounts of money out on those boats. But he's broke, almost instantly, after getting enormous paychecks. He lives recklessly, and dates stupid, reckless, money-grubbing witches.

On the other hand, I know aristocrats who manage to maintain their class standing (and their Victorian mansions) on less than forty thousand Dollars a year. They, however, are not reckless. They can eat for a week, on what some people blow in one evening at Dead Lobster or Wendy's.

When I am out on the road, the two grapefruits (2 @ $0.50) & a can of Red Beans ($0.69 + $0.15 in Olive Oil) that I'll consume in a day will cost less than some of my maintenance staff will spend that day, on cigarettes.

I don't think that ANY of the architects who work under my Decorator actually clear 90k in a year. And that field of endeavor requires near-genius IQs, and a degree program rivaling Medicine in difficulty (as well as a period of near-slavery equivalent to internship/residency for docs). And there are plenty of people in other STEM fields who would be glad to make 90.

Even adjusted for inflation, neither DH nor I made that much until years after we went out on our own. And we have 'terminal degrees' in high-demand fields. There were lots of areas in life that we just had to stay away from, if we wanted to get anywhere/ become anybody. We did not get 'cable'. We did not golf/waterski/snowski/go to 'games'/go to movies/eat fast food. We did not subscribe to newspapers. We did not have pets. We washed our own cars, ironed our own clothes, mowed our own grass... Yes, we dressed like billionaires (and, back then, were actually buying the clothes left behind by departed billionaires in Palm Beach and Rancho Santa Fe: we had connections...) - but our kids grew up without soft drinks or candy, and thinking that the big, ultra-economical stockpot of soup, always ready on the stove, was the norm. They learned how to cheaply bake bread from scratch, while other kids were learning how to microwave expensive frozen dinners. Our somber-hued Volvos greamed like Queen Elizabeth's limousines: but they were ancient and thrifty to run. Our kids were assumed, by their peers, to be wealthy, long before the illusion became fact.

On the same income, we could have driven shapeless new silver minivans. We could have served the kids frozen fish sticks and two litre bottles of Peach Nehi. We could have scooped store-brand ice cream into ugly dishes that cost just as much as the pretty dishes - but they're ugly, and so they're supposedly "appropriate for everyday". The kids could have been in Little League and Pretty Princess Pageants, instead of at the gym and in advanced study groups. We could have bought them all the low-brow crap pushed at kids during Saturday cartoons. I could have endlessly redecorated the house with the latest cheap junk from the big box stores, instead of carefully, laboriously amassing collections of fine furnishings. We could have filled the laundry room cabinets with Mop-n'-glo and Swiffers and all the other useless, overpriced, scented household products that do nothing you can't accomplish with a damp rag and plain water. We could have taken the kids to Disney Land and Six Flags and Holiday on Ice, rather than to art/antiquities museums and pristine wilderness areas. The fact is that you can spend enormous amounts of money on stuff that will get you nowhere - and that isn't really much fun, either.

It all depends on focus. Some people will spend a salary like OP's "having a good time". Others will use it to become bigger. And it's wonderful that we live in a time, and in a nation, where one can choose. Most people in the world have very little choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM

164 posts, read 219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick155 View Post
I just receive a pretty good job offer $90K annually but I need to be relocated to Madison,MS. Actually I live in north of Chicago I know the temperature in Madison is hot most of the time but my concern is about my race, I'm latino and I know down there the population is almost 100% white, not sure If I can find some resistance .Please tell me if there races issues still in MS.
90K wow, great offer. It is very hard for getting this kind of high pay job in MS regardless of race. Would you mind tell me what industry are you in?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 26,766 times
I'm Industrial Engineer so I'm dedicated to the Industrial Area

Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 AM

164 posts, read 219,108 times
Quote:
I'm Industrial Engineer so I'm dedicated to the Industrial Area
I see...40K will make life at Jackson very very comfortable..90K will make your life like celebrity..

Anyway, Madison is full of upper class families in MS (in the other word, the most richest families in MS), you may find your future relationship over there if you have not marry/in a relationship yet.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 AM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,798 times
Actually, 40k will not be sufficient. That will only qualify you for, at most, a $120,000.00 house. If there are any left inside Madison, they are in iffy neighborhoods, where the mentally deficient sons of the mentally deficient neighbors will wake you up at all hours with their thumping sound systems and fart cannon exhausts. In better neighborhoods, people call the police, who deal with things like this quickly and well. But in the 'cheap seats', people have either given up, or are lowlifes who don't know any better. You will not be able to sleep, and therefore will not do very well at work. You will also develop symptoms of Sleep Deprivation Psychosis, and start having health problems because of this. And then, there's the danger and depression which come from having to deal with neighbors who are nothing but poisonous little clusters of dysfunctions. But neighborhoods like that are mostly in other towns - not in Madison.

Apartment communities which screen-out problem people are pretty expensive. They have to be too expensive for a granny on disability and four or five grandbabies getting government checks - plus some governmental entity paying the rent. It's a horrible problem, and keeps people from moving to the Jackson Metro. Below a certain price point, there is no place decent to live.

Buying a modest home far out from Jackson may help. Homeowners are far less prone to actual criminality than are renters - even if the house payment is lower than most rent. But then, some "investor" may buy the house next door, and rent it to someone like THIS: DA: Woman Strangled by Sex Offender Living Next Door | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS, who will do no-telling-what to you. The Rental Agents don't care. They just want their commission. But you may be ready to die, after the stupid young "men" in the neighborhood have kept you awake with their various noise-making apparatus, and the family dogs have yapped incessantly for a while. It's not that these creatures are immune to the noise they make. The symptoms of sleep deprivation are rampant among them (morbid obesity, heart disease, loss of teeth, listlessness, irritability, incompetence at work...). They're killing themselves with their dysfunction. And they'll take you with them, if you have to live near them.

Two people making 40k can qualify for a nice-enough house, in an area where troublemakers are dealt-with, in one way or another. Or, they can pay rather steep rent in apartment communities full of young docs, young attorneys, and affluent retirees who've moved into the metro to be near cancer or heart clinics. You'll have to prove that your income is four times the rent amount (and at 40k annually, your income will NOT be sufficient), and have really good credit. Otherwise, as a renter, you'll have to live in either an old ranch house, in an area prone to roaming males who steal/rape/bludgeon, or in an apartment community which looks great - until you see it at night, and notice the clusters of young males loitering in the parking lot... just looking for 'opportunities'.

Single people who don't make a good bit of money lead rather wretched lives in the Jackson area.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-18-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM

I don't have any economical issues so obviously I'll look for the right neighborhood specially where I can feel safe and where I can get a nice house. I have realize that the real state taxes down there in MS are extremely low in comparison with Illinois Taxes so it's a favorable point.

Gloria , thanks for all your recommendations.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM

I'm not sure If I took the right decision to move over here but it looks like this city doesn't have too much to offer , it's not fair to compare Madison with Chicago but I think pretty soon I'll get bored of Madison , I'll like to read books but also I'l like to see the community in action, the favorable point is houses are cheap and taxes are low , anyway let see if something good else besides the economical benefit come out of this move.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,154,639 times
Quote:
I'm not sure If I took the right decision to move over here but it looks like this city doesn't have too much to offer , it's not fair to compare Madison with Chicago but I think pretty soon I'll get bored of Madison , I'll like to read books but also I'l like to see the community in action, the favorable point is houses are cheap and taxes are low , anyway let see if something good else besides the economical benefit come out of this move.
Forget race and all that other stuff. The first thing you should be asking yourself is "Do I want to live in a small town?" Because that's where you're headed, no matter if you live in Madison, Brandon, or whatever. You're trading a metro area of 9 million for a metro of 400 thousand. So no, it's not gonna be like Chicago in any way, shape, or form.

If you live in a small town now, but enjoy the amenities of having Chicago nearby, then that's just not gonna happen down here. "Nearby" is New Orleans or Memphis, three hour drives away. And neither of them has as much going on as Chicago.

So if you think you'll get bored in Madison, then you are likely correct and will soon come to hate living down here. Don't do it, unless you know what you are getting yourself into.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:29 PM

6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Quote:
I just receive a pretty good job offer $90K annually but I need to be relocated to Madison,MS. Actually I live in north of Chicago I know the temperature in Madison is hot most of the time but my concern is about my race, I'm latino and I know down there the population is almost 100% white, not sure If I can find some resistance .Please tell me if there races issues still in MS.
Race issues in Mississippi are nothing like they were. If you are well to do, have money, and don't mind joining the local community and becoming part of the church, you will fit right in. The biggest racial issues is between blacks and whites, but that has taken a serious decline, especially with the onset of the 21st century, you see interracial couples in Mississippi now.

As a Latino I think you'd do fine. The Jackson metro area is probably the most diverse area in Mississippi, so you'd be better off there than anywhere else. Cost of living, even in Madison, will be exceptionally cheap when compared with Chicago, so you will live quite well on that salary.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 PM

6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Quote:
Did you make the move to Madison? Jackson metro area is about 560,000 compared with Chicago at 9.5 million, so yeah it might be a bit of a culture shock. Jackson is the largest city in the state by far, it offers the most in terms of things to do. You're 3 hours from New Orleans, Memphis, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and about 4 hours from Mobile, and a little over 4 hours from Dallas.

Ridgeland, Flowood, Brandon, Madison, and Pearl are all suburbs of Jackson and have a very suburban feel. Jackson doesn't have much of a big city feel, just kind of feels like a dump, besides downtown and parts of northern Jackson, I doubt you'll visit the city often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or