U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times

Advertisements

We know they're coming. It's not like it was back in 1936 when an F-5 appeared out of nowhere and killed 230 people. Today, we know they're coming. But there still isn't much we can do.

It's 1:30 PM. The kids are already out of school, and we have already gotten the casual, "Where Y'all gonna be?" calls from our adult kids.
So we know where our loved ones are. But it doesn't make much difference. Tornadoes strike this side of the road and not that side. They are tiny little spots of interest and monstrous F-5 one-mile-wide killers. Can't really be predicted.

We had a good friend killed three years ago in the Smithville Tornado. He didn't make the official death toll because he was killed before the tornado even got to Smithville. It just picked up that new Chevy truck and flung it through the woods like a old newspaper.

By 7 PM, it will all be over, or so they say. Most of us will go back to watching TV or whatever seems appropriate. But there will be those who did not stay lucky. There may be some whose lives will change today.

Some days all you can do is, "Hunker down and grab aholt"

I guess that applies to a lot of days in our lives.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

13,215 posts, read 17,886,170 times
Happy Tornado Day!

Hey, wait a minute...

But seriously, the best place is underground.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,119,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We know they're coming. It's not like it was back in 1936 when an F-5 appeared out of nowhere and killed 230 people. Today, we know they're coming. But there still isn't much we can do.

It's 1:30 PM. The kids are already out of school, and we have already gotten the casual, "Where Y'all gonna be?" calls from our adult kids.
So we know where our loved ones are. But it doesn't make much difference. Tornadoes strike this side of the road and not that side. They are tiny little spots of interest and monstrous F-5 one-mile-wide killers. Can't really be predicted.

We had a good friend killed three years ago in the Smithville Tornado. He didn't make the official death toll because he was killed before the tornado even got to Smithville. It just picked up that new Chevy truck and flung it through the woods like a old newspaper.

By 7 PM, it will all be over, or so they say. Most of us will go back to watching TV or whatever seems appropriate. But there will be those who did not stay lucky. There may be some whose lives will change today.

Some days all you can do is, "Hunker down and grab aholt"

I guess that applies to a lot of days in our lives.....
Take care friend! I'll be out there soon!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:31 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times
Just in case you want to see where the chasers are and what they are seeing...

TVNweather Live Storm Chasing#

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,740,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just in case you want to see where the chasers are and what they are seeing...

TVNweather Live Storm Chasing#
I don't like these chasers as a rule. I started watching one, and man was he driving fast in that pouring rain, all to get a shot of the storm. He talked about precious seconds passing by to get to the storm. It only takes seconds for an accident to happen too. How many people are more at risk by someone without lights and siren flying by them for really their own selfish motives.

Hope everyone effected is safe and the storms pass quickly without injury and substantial damage.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM

442 posts, read 526,626 times
Take care everybody. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM

20,325 posts, read 10,399,159 times
I hear Tupelo got torn up.

That's about 10 minutes from me. Don't know what to expect with tornadoes, I've never been through one.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM

4,279 posts, read 4,064,588 times
On the west side of the state we were hit with the remnants of the Arkansas storms late yesterday. Luckily the sun was going down and the upper atmosphere was cooling so they weren't as bad. This morning we had massive amounts of rain. It's been clear most of the day.

Quote:
That's about 10 minutes from me. Don't know what to expect with tornadoes, I've never been through one.
You have to have a safe place to go well before you get a warning. Once you get a warning, watch the local TV to see where it is headed. If you can get Channel 5 (WMCTV) from Memphis then they have the best tornado radar. The one a few years ago that hit Southaven and went into Memphis was tracked on their radar down to the street level. When the the Viper Tornado Index of the rotation gets above 5, get worried. 6 is bad. 7 and higher almost guarantees a funnel cloud. They tracked the Arkansas tornado yesterday and it was an 8+.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,731,514 times
I'm watching about the tornado outbreak on the Weather Channel. Be safe, and take the warnings seriously. Take care, everyone. You are all in my prayers!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,119,649 times
And I was planning on visiting Tupelo this month....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or