U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,981 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a job in Mississippi and I'm wondering what are the best cities for professional, educated people with a lot of life experience and liberal thinking? The job is located in Columbus. Our children are grown. I have a fantastic job that I am not going to leave so we'll have a commuter marriage as long as he is down there. Any home he buys would have to have high resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:54 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times
A lot of professors live in Starkville, associated with Mississippi State University, so you should find some liberals over there. There are plenty of nice, mostly newer neighborhoods in Starkville to look at. For a single male (effectively in this case) that seems like a good location for him, with many activities associated with the university (sports, restaurants, the arts).

Columbus has a huge historic district full of gorgeous Greek Revival antebellum homes and its own university (MUW). I would imagine that the people living in the historic district are more liberal but that's a guess. And liberal in Mississippi would probably be considered moderate in other parts of the U.S. North Columbus also has neighborhoods with huge, beautiful newer homes on high wooded ridges, that most likely are the homes of lot of doctors. Most likely they are educated but very Republican. There is also Old Waverly Golf Club in West Point, which has beautiful homes but, given that it's a golf club and a gated community, one would think that area leans wealthy but conservative.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 PM

79 posts, read 139,277 times
You will find pockets of liberal thought everywhere in the state, and while you are finding them you will have an opportunity to experience the rich, spicey, complex gumbo that is old south conservatism. It can be a difficult adjustment, but hang in there: Mississippi has much to give.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Thanks to both of you! I, too, have lived in many places in the United States....Kentucky, Nebraska, Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, and now Wisconsin. Deep south, however, is new to me. Any additional thoughts/replies are always welcomed!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,211,132 times
"Liberal" and "Conservative", in Mississippi, mean different things, depending on social class.

Generally, both labels offer excuses for whatever a person sees as his damning shortcomings.

Anyway, Columbus has long been one of the more affluent/educated/wealthy towns in the state. Whether or not individuals label themselves as "Liberal", I believe that they will be up to - or perhaps surpass - your Husband's standards - as long as he mixes with the upper-middle-to-upper classes.

And I cannot overstress the role of social class in all of this (money has VERY LITTLE to do with social class). Accents, foodways, worldview... all these vary, among Southerners, in accordance with social strata/family background.

If no Columbus residential options seem safe enough, then in Starkville he will be able to pick up a condominium near Starkville's Cotton District, for around 100k. These are mostly built to be purchased by the parents of frats and suzies at State. But surely some units go to professors and instructors.

Frankly, your DH should shop around for gyms, first. Once he's picked the gym he likes best (and believe me: besides working out, there is very little else for a 'Liberal' person to do, in that state - unless he's a cigarette-smoking alcoholic who likes to hang out in bars, having obnoxious "intellectual discussions"), then, ideally, 'home' should be convenient to both work and gym.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times
MovinSouth, with all those states you've listed, I really don't see that you're going to experience too much difference. Starkville and Columbus are nice towns with pleasant downtowns and plenty of residential neighborhoods every bit as nice as you will find anywhere else in the nation. And having universities there adds tremendously.

In the last 5 or 10 years, Columbus has had one of the most successful economic development organizations in the nation, attracting major industries in the automotive and aerospace industries, such as PACCAR (builds engines for 18-wheeler trucks); Severstal (huge Russian steel company); American Eurocopter (French company building super-cool helicopters for the military) and recently Yokohoma (tires). These are billion dollar investments cumulatively. Columbus in just a few short years has pulled itself from ranking around 400th out of some 550 micropolitan areas in economic climate to top 25 in the nation. On this forum, it's beginning to show as we get the occasional posts like yours by people moving to the area from around the country. There is a recent report posted on websites such as Miss. Business Journal and others by a consulting firm called Policom which provides an interesting status assessment of the Columbus/Starkville area economy and recommendations for moving it to the next level in terms of real growth.

An hour north outside Tupelo is the new billion dollar Toyota plant building Corrollas. Nearby Oxford is regularly rated as the best small town to live in the entire U.S. So, while the area overall has an extremely rural feel to it (2 to 2.5 hours to Jackson, Birmingham and Memphis)... with lots of trees and lots of farmland more than anything else, things are beginning to look up quite nicely. The area between Columbus and Starkville is a topographical region known as the northeast Mississippi prairie, which is about 25 miles wide (the part in Mississippi) and at least 100 miles north to south and known for its extremely fertile black soil, which has been used for cotton but today seems more used for cattle. Once you hit Starkville it changes rather abruptly to dense forests and hills as you go west.

Just an hour east of Columbus is also Tuscaloosa, Alabama which is a very nice university town and much larger (around 200,000 people in the area). Starkville and MSU have their symphony and there are several charming restaurants in town. Needless to say traffic is not an issue, and the area is extremely safe.

If you love architecture, you really should ook at Columbus because it's loaded with Greek Revival and Queen Anne mansions and cottages, from just of the small downtown area over to MUW. If you like the idea of sitting atop a high wooded ridge, with a back deck looking down into densely wooded ravine, you should look at north Columbus. If you find a spacious 2-acre lot with mostly grass and on or near a golf course, then consider Elm Lake golf course. If you are a golf pro or want the feel of an ultra-exclusive golf club (home of LPGA) look at Old Waverly.

If you want a vibrant little student neighborhood with some cute architecture feigning various classical styles, with lots of festivals etc, look at Starkville's Cotton District as noted above by Grandview Gloria. If you want to be close to the university but in a new subdivision (all types, from patio homes to doctors' 2-story colonials, to homes on wooded lots to homes on large lakes), then you should look along South Montgomery in Starkville. If you wanted densely wooded pine forests, those start on the immediate west side of town just outside Starkville - and about 20 to 25 minutes west (next to Ackerman and north of Eupora) the dense pine forests gradually phase into steep hills.

Overall, the biggest downside to this area might be distance to the coast. If you like taking regular long weekends at the beach in Florida, it's going to be just over 5 hours drive to get to Florida. Same for New Orleans if you like driving down for lunch and maybe an art gallery etc...that's 5 hours. So it's a tad isolated in that sense and rural, although Atlanta is just 4.5 hours which makes for a very nice quick trip.. and Birmingham 2 to 2.5. One nice feature is the Columbus airport. You can drive there with zero traffic, park right in front of the airport and basically walk straight to the plane. Atlanta is less than hour's flight.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,061,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthin2014 View Post
My husband is taking a job in Mississippi and I'm wondering what are the best cities for professional, educated people with a lot of life experience and liberal thinking? The job is located in Columbus. Our children are grown. I have a fantastic job that I am not going to leave so we'll have a commuter marriage as long as he is down there. Any home he buys would have to have high resale value.
Columbus is a small city. Only about 20,000 people. It's the home of the Mississippi University for Women, which is now co-ed. The city does have a democratic black mayor, but I wouldn't really call it a liberal city, but it is a decent city, albeit a bit on the small side. It's close to Starkville though, the home of Mississippi State, a major University for this state.

For professionals the best cities would probably be Jackson metro area, Hattiesburg, or probably the Coast which includes Biloxi, Long Beach, Gulfport, D'Ibberville, Bay St. Louis, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or