Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 28,655 times

Advertisements

Looking to get some info on good/bad neighborhoods in Mississippi - (Olive Branch, Southhaven). Need to be relatively close the airport but in a safe place. No kids in school, only college. Any suggestions on where NOT to look? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
Virtually everything in DeSoto County is safe with the possible exception of the areas immediately south of Whitehaven. That's the one area I would not consider, i.e. south of the state line and north of Goodman Rd, particularly west of I-55. On the east side of I-55, the area north of Goodman Rd is quite nice, with affordable homes often on fairly large lots. The only part I probably wouldn't consider is within a mile or so of State Line Rd but the areas within a couple of miles north of Goodman Rd are nice and safe.

Of course most everything along Goodman Rd and to the south is new. There are dozens if not hundreds of nice neighborhoods to choose from, all convenient to the airport. It would just depend on what you were looking for (large lot, patio home, wooded versus more open, and of course price). Personally I'm a fan of Hernando, because it has a picturesque town square, some historic neighborhoods, and nice city planning with tasteful developments, low signage, landscaping, etc. And there are numerous upscale neighborhoods on both sides of the interstate. However...if that's too far south for you to drive, some of the prettier areas in my opinion in Southaven and Olive Branch are:

- Center Hill Rd south of Goodman Rd and behind Center Hill elementary school (many large wooded lots and really nice homes). This is a few minutes south of Olive Branch.
- College Rd at Belmore Lakes Rd...south of Olive Branch west of Hwy 78 - This neighborhood has the feel of Germantown and because it's in the Lewisburg school zone is likely experience rising home values, as this has been rated the top school in Mississippi (so has Center Hill). Another one near here that is quite similar is Bethel Rd at Planters Rd.

- College Rd and Spring Valley Dr and College Rd and Spring Lake Blvd - Lovely homes, very wooded and some nice hills
- Timber Oaks Dr and Autumn Oaks Dr - Very large lots (2 acres plus) and beautiful homes, and feeds into neighboring golf course community (Craft Rd and Dakota Circle) which looks like Collierville (big new homes close together, by golf course)
- Nail Rd and Roman Hill Drive, Nail Rd and Belle Pointe Dr - These also are huge lots and nice homes. Nail Rd is a nice area and convenient.

- Kingsrow Drive and Goodman Rd, Southaven, beautiful homes around a lake, feels like Germantown
- Church Rd at Roseleigh - Moderate to smaller homes on small lots. New, clean and nice and super-convenient at the corner of Getwell and Church Rds with Walgreens and CVS right there, and Kroger down the street. There are numerous other subdivisions like this all up and down Getwell Rd, near the intersection of Getwell and Church Rd which to me is kind of the heart of this whole region, particularly along Getwell from Church Rd up to Goodman Rd, with lots of new commercial development, schools, an amphitheater, parks, etc.
- College Rd and Pinehurst - Nice homes and on spacious lots
- Church Rd and Robinson Crossing or Malone Rd - These are some of the most tastefully designed homes, on smaller lots, that I've seen in DeSoto County. Looks like an infill-gated upscale subdivision that you would see in East Memphis along Walnut Grove.
- Dickens Place Dr and Getwell - Nice homes on huge wooded lots
- Windermere Dr and Getwell - Large lots and nice homes...again. Very pleasant.
- College Rd and Spring Place Drive - Gated subdivision with mansions
- Pleasant Hill Rd and Summers Place Drive - Very pleasant moderate sized homes on spacious lots

There are so many more...including further south in Hernando including east of I-55, check Getwell and Fountain Gate Dr with very nice new homes and Jaybird Rd and Notting Hill Drive. For mansions, check out Byhalia Rd and White Oak Drive or Getwell Rd South and Ginners Lane. West of I-55, there are several lovely neighborhoods with large lots all along Oak Grove Rd at Ivy Lane, River Oaks Drive, Vanguard Drive, and Oak Crossing Drive. This is one of my favorite areas because it's in Hernando but right are the far edge of the Memphis metro area, where the residential areas phase over into pasture land, rolling hills, and general countryside. And it manages to feel nice, safe, and on the way up.

This is just to list a few areas but gives you an idea of where some of the nicer areas are.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 AM

4 posts, read 28,655 times
Thank you SO very much for this amazing reply! We previously lived in TN, in the Lakeland/Arlington area for approx. 15 years. My husband took a job transfer to Indy and we've been here for 6 years. We are now having to move BACK due to job changes. We don't want to go back to the same area, we want something new. The house we are in now is approx. 2800 sq feet and sits on about 1/2 acre. We also don't want this size home anymore and prefer to downsize substantially. We have a son in college who will be a senior next year and one that will be graduating high school next year so we really don't need all this room. Looking to stay in the 160K, 170K, 180K price range so which of the above neighborhoods would you suggest? I found a beautiful home on the golf course, street is called "sweet flag loop" but it's been for sale, on and off, for awhile. Not sure of the area? I am going to print out your info and give to my husband as he is planning a quick trip to the area to check it all out. Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzelle25 View Post
Thank you SO very much for this amazing reply! We previously lived in TN, in the Lakeland/Arlington area for approx. 15 years. My husband took a job transfer to Indy and we've been here for 6 years. We are now having to move BACK due to job changes. We don't want to go back to the same area, we want something new. The house we are in now is approx. 2800 sq feet and sits on about 1/2 acre. We also don't want this size home anymore and prefer to downsize substantially. We have a son in college who will be a senior next year and one that will be graduating high school next year so we really don't need all this room.Looking to stay in the 160K, 170K, 180K price rangeso which of the above neighborhoods would you suggest? I found a beautiful home on the golf course, street is called "sweet flag loop" but it's been for sale, on and off, for awhile. Not sure of the area? I am going to print out your info and give to my husband as he is planning a quick trip to the area to check it all out. Thanks again!
That's the western part of Southaven. You can't go much farther west once you pass Horn Lake Road. Plus it is right off Stateline road. https://www.google.com/maps/place/87...14446535244c2f Too far north and west for me. Not because of crime (I looked it up via the Southaven.org site under Police - Zip 38671. There's a Kroger down Horn Lake Road and construction has started on a Wal-Mart. You may have an increase in traffic.

Brickpatio is talking about east Southaven near Olive Branch. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9330585,-89.9365182,20z You can look up the crime stats with zip 38672. I like the amenities here. The amphitheater is one of my favorites - Snowden Grove Amphitheater | Home I've walked home from concerts. Home is only 4 miles away and another of our favorite places. We'll be there Nov 6 for a concert.

Besides entertainment, there's more restaurants on this side of town. The standard chains but a lot of smaller chains and independents as well. Same with shopping. As long as you stay off Goodman Road, it feels like a small town over here.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:22 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzelle25 View Post
Thank you SO very much for this amazing reply! We previously lived in TN, in the Lakeland/Arlington area for approx. 15 years. My husband took a job transfer to Indy and we've been here for 6 years. We are now having to move BACK due to job changes. We don't want to go back to the same area, we want something new. The house we are in now is approx. 2800 sq feet and sits on about 1/2 acre. We also don't want this size home anymore and prefer to downsize substantially. We have a son in college who will be a senior next year and one that will be graduating high school next year so we really don't need all this room. Looking to stay in the 160K, 170K, 180K price range so which of the above neighborhoods would you suggest? I found a beautiful home on the golf course, street is called "sweet flag loop" but it's been for sale, on and off, for awhile. Not sure of the area? I am going to print out your info and give to my husband as he is planning a quick trip to the area to check it all out. Thanks again!
Answering 9 year old posts is kinda fun for those of us clever enough to realize it is, in fact, 9 years old....

I'm guessing all the neighborhoods that were suggested in 2014 for the 160-180K price range have changed. A lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi