U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,994,056 times
------where the Baptists,Methodists,Presnytenians all meet up for lunch--

Williboy-------Catholics not welcome in that Jonesborough TN reataurant ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Thumbs up Hard Times Mississippi

cjohnson Hi,
I to grew up in Hattiesburg in a small community and I remember all the things you speak of very fondly. However, my memories of H'burg carries
along with them some not so pleasant times. I finished high school in 1966
and attended William Carey College and finished there in 1971. I Could Not
wait to get out of the State of Mississippi. After graduation in 1971 I left
Hattiesburg and relocated to CHARLOTTE, NC. Yes thats right I also live in
Charlotte and have been for 37 years. I do visit H'burg ever 3 of 4 year and
there have been a lot of changes both economically and socially. The
racial climate has improved tremendously since I left there. I have other
friends that left there in the 60s and 70s and have recently returned after
many years away and retirement. They seem to like Hattiesburg a lot more
these days than when they left. I know you will understand what I am
saying.
All in all, Hattiesburg is a nice little town/city to live in if you do not have
to work. Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnsonRE View Post
I grew up in a small community close to Petal. I still visit the area 2-3 times a year and I love it! I currently live in NC therefore, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Petal is a beautiful rural area, but they have everything you need and more. Lots of hometown pride. They have plenty of grocery stores and I will say that whenever I come back to NC I always leave with a cooler full of meat. It's so much cheaper in Ms! In the summer I leave with a cooler full of peas, butterbeans and corn that I buy from local farmers and I usually feel guilty because I buy so much and it's so cheap and the farmers never fail to throw in something for free. I love driving down 59 and having people actually throw up their hand and wave to me. It took me 2 yrs. of living in NC before I ever passed someone on the road that waved. What I miss most may sound silly, but I miss church homecomings. You always knew who made the best fried chicken and chocolate cake. I don't even think they have them up here and if they do I am sure the chicken was bought at KFC. I miss being able to just drive up to someones house and ask if you can fish in their pond (you'd probably get shot up here). I miss hearing the sweet southern drawl.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,341 times
I grew up mostly in the delta and later lived in Hattiesburg for six years, so I can definitely say that the mosquitoes are bad in Hattiesburg, but not nearly as bad as in the delta. The southern part of the state doesn't seem to have those big, stripey monsters that look like they're going to hit you over the head before they bite you.

Hattiesburg has grown just ridiculously in the past few years. There's as much shopping there as in any major city, and the proximity to New Orleans and the coast is nice. USM has an impressive theater/music program, so you also get some really suprising shows and concerts there. There's a nice little zoo that only costs $4 to get into, a gourgeous new movie theater, and a bunch of new restaurants.

The big downsides to Hattiesburg right now are the traffic and real estate prices. Both were bad enough before Katrina, but now they're just out of control. Most places have seen the housing prices drop back down in the years since the post-storm hike, but not H'burg. The traffic went from bad to almost unmanagable. You can't just run to the mall on your lunch hour anymore; it's a major undertaking. I really hope that the city is going to do something about that; it's a shame to have so many resources and have so much trouble getting to them.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,543,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------where the Baptists,Methodists,Presnytenians all meet up for lunch--

Williboy-------Catholics not welcome in that Jonesborough TN reataurant ?
They are certainly welcome, but the Catholic church that serves the area is in Johnson City, about seven miles up the road.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,728 times
Default not a great place

I moved from Jackson to Hattiesburg to work. I did not like it at all and moved back after one year. The traffic is horrendous and people drive like maniacs. A lot of this is due to the post-Katrinia swell in the population and horrible (or non-existent) urban planning which forces most of the population to continuously be on the two major roads (49 and Hardy/98). Everyone is always on these two roads and driving is VERY stressful. If you don't pay VERY close attention all the time you will be in a wreck in no time. I'm so happy to be back in the Jackson/Metro area where driving is much less stressful because of adequate lanes, etc.

Hattiesburg is much more expensive than the Jackson area. Housing, food, etc. are more - but the quality of life is lower. I couldn't believe it because I thought it would be the reverse.

Oak Grove is materialistic and cliquy. It seems all there is to do here is shop and eat. You see LOTS of very fat people going into the multitude of bad chain restaurants.

Hattiesburg is ugly. There are no nice trees. College kids drive around with their stereos blaring. There is not much "character" except that downtown they are trying to create a little, but even that it sparse. They have a couple of festivals which are O.K.

All in all I would never live in Hattiesburg again.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,144 times
I just recently moved to Hattiesburg, and so far I like it. I'm used to having more fine dining around, but some of the smaller places are actually rare gems (found a fantastic place for sushi). The people I have met so far have mostly been nice. The humidity is what got me, but I'm getting used to it. I live within city limits, and they have one of those trucks that comes along and sprays for mosquitoes, and after spraying my lawn with one of those do it yourself bug sprays, we don't have very many at all.
Overall this is a pretty friendly town, with a good layout (meaning I can actually find places and not get terribly lost!), and so far I have been glad I moved.
On the downside, my electricity bill has been obscenely high, the garbage company can't make up it's mind what day it does what, and I lose signal on my cell phone all the time.
Oped is right about the two main streets being very busy, but they are working on it. But compared to where I moved from, the driving here is a breeze. I hate fighting traffic, and here it is really not that bad at all, unless you aren't used to driving in a city. I'm originally from a small town so this place would have scared me witless when I first moved from there. But it is nothing compared to Montgomery or Nashville.
I don't agree about the tree's, they are everywhere. I haven't had a problem with college kids, most of them I see walking, and are usually very friendly. A college kid does does my lawn. I like the neighborhood I live in, and have had a great time going on morning walks around the block, that is how I met most of my neighbors. Perhaps it has changed that much in a years time.

Last edited by cryfull10; 07-31-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,564,621 times
Interesting isn't it--the difference between oped and Cryfull's posts??

IMHO Cryfull is more on the mark. After Katrina the trees in H'burg are decimated from what was originally, but there are still plenty. Clear-cutting is going on in places and needs to stop. There I agree. As for cliquey and shopping in Oak Grove I wouldn't know as I don't live there. But I suspect if oped did, he had the suburb experience. For me I don't shop except online and it isn't a leisure activity but a chore. I golf, take art classes, work out, shop the farmers markets, take language classes at the university, attend the local universities' theatre productions, bike the Rails to Trails, lunch with friends at myriad local places that are not chains (Chesterfield's. Purple Parrot, C'est la vie, Suwanna's, Crescent City, Brownstone's, 206 Front Street, Bianchi's Pizza, Strick's Bar-B-Que among others) and go to work four days a week. I don't recognize the town oped describes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi