Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times

Advertisements

A burning cross (small enough that Mamaw could knock it over and stomp out the flames, but still... it COUNTS as a 'Burning Cross', and that's what counts...)...

( Before you proceed, here's some scary Banjo music I found special, ta git you in the mood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oUuC0lGRk Try opening this thread in a separate window, so's you can hear the scary music and read the stories at the same time. )

The notorious and long-feared SULLIVAN'S HOLLOW 'community'

A dawg named Jack Daniels

A woman named Gaylene

A boy named Dillian (with a name like that, he won't have to be re-named 'Tiffanie', if he gets to the big house, and who seemingly already has a big enough rack that he wouldn't have to undergo 'hormone therapy', to be a fun toy for the guys in 'stir'.)

Hate crimes!
Mother: Jeff Daniels committed hate crime

Brass Knuckles

Mixed-race grandbabies! (It is unclear, however, what races are being mixed, here)

And there's even HIS SIDE OF THE STORY! (complete with Knotti-pine Paneling!!!)
Man accused in Smith Co. cross burning speaks out

I detect the distinct odor of FAKE HATE CRIME. But time will tell.

In the meantime, let's crank up that banjo music, 'cause this could get as interesting as the Kentucky Fried Chicken Pit Bull Victim Saga. http://lansing.legalexaminer.com/mis...ve-restaurant/

Only in Mississippi...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-19-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Hmm, looks like it may be a tricky case. The victim looks to be white, but was attacked because he had mixed grandchildren. I sure they'll try to say the hate crime law doesn't apply here.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
They burn crosses about 10mi from me. And I'm black.

It looks like a hate crime. Although I don't think it deserves anymore punishment than a normal crime. Jail won't fix him, racists will always be ignorant.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
I saw on the news tonight that they said the hate crime law doesn't apply because the attacker and victim are of the same race.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
So family violence doesn't happen in Oregon?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So family violence doesn't happen in Oregon?
Here in Lake Oswego, we have 'Hair Burnings', rather than 'Cross Burnings' : Lake Oswego blonde sues salon for $50,000 | OregonLive.com (That woman is not the sort one normally encounters here, in case you're wondering. She would not be able to get into our club in Portland, nor would she be invited into the home of anyone I know...)

But no: we don't have family violence with anything resembling the sheer Tobacco Road comedic value of the story under discussion. I don't think Flannery O'Connor or Carson McCullers (moved into the present day) could have written anything much more interesting than the real-life saga unfolding out in Smith County.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
I came here to discuss this, but the ever vigilant GG beat me to it.

As worded, the MS "hate crime" law cannot be applied in this case because it specifies the crime must be about the race of the victim. It should be changed, but it's too late for this situation.

I know people who grew up and lived in the area, and I've visited nearby often. Sullivan's Hollow was a seriously dangerous place for minorities during Jim Crow, and it's not very safe even today. Not as dangerous as south-central LA or the 'hood in Chicago or Detroit, but dangerous non-the-less.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
It's high time we all from Missippi move to Urgen. I hear they have ceement ponds up thar...

Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It's high time we all from Missippi move to Urgen. I hear they have ceement ponds up thar...
OK by me, as long as they don't move Ferguson to Mississippi.

Lord Help Us, we'd never hear the end of it!

Wait a minute! If we move to Urgen, do we have to talk funny?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I thought this was going to be about some cool banjo music. Instead it is about negative stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi