U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 23,741 times

Advertisements

We have recently relocated from out of state and I'm trying to find a good outlet for socializing my oldest son. I've already got him enrolled in Soccer. But, I am thinking maybe a church would be a good idea. We don't come from an overly religious state so I haven't been in a while :-/ when I was young it was always kind of a Christmas and Easter deal. But, as you know Mississippi is all about religion. So....I am looking for a really laid back kinda church. Ya know, the kind that allows jeans and has like a band playing music during service. I don't know if anything like that exists here. I just don't want to "bore" my kids with the old school church experience. I want them to enjoy it and not dread it, ya know? If anybody knows of a church near Clinton that fits the description please let me know. Thanks for the suggestions/recomendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,600,995 times
Try Pinelake. They have a location in Clinton actually. It's a modern church that has branch sites all over the metro and in Starkville, has its own school, and doesn't actually name its denomination - although my understanding is that if you dig into their website long enough you'll find that they are Baptist. My impression is that Pinelake is extremely active, non-traditional and growing fast. I looked at their website once and it appeared that they built the church philosophy around fitting in with people's everyday lives. For a more liberal theology than Baptist, you'd be better off in an Episcopal, Lutheran or maybe Presbyterian Church ("PC USA", not PC of America).

That said, for a super-active youth and family program and modern approach to church (jeans, music, video technology), that seems like a place to look. Their home church is in Flowood on the other side of Jackson and its huge. They grew so much they added a church in Madison that's meeting in a giant warehouse in an industrial park that they converted into a church, which I find innovative and admirable, if not my personal cup of tea theologically.

You might also look at Broadmoor Baptist in Madison which is huge, with literally tons of families and thus tons and tons of youth.

The Catholic churches also these days are very casual. There's a big, brand-new Catholic church in Gluckstadt I believe called St Joseph (north of Madison) that is an area loaded with families (new houses etc). I know Clinton has some huge churches to consider, I just don't know them as well.

There are so many other great churches in the Jackson area. The Episcopal churches are gorgeous and very active, but they are not informal as you described. Methodist is really big too. The area with the most young families moving in is Madison and Gluckstadt so that's a place to look.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM

9,497 posts, read 9,367,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The Catholic churches also these days are very casual. There's a big, brand-new Catholic church in Gluckstadt I believe called St Joseph (north of Madison) that is an area loaded with families (new houses etc). I know Clinton has some huge churches to consider, I just don't know them as well.
This lifelong Catholic finds the "casuality" unsettling! I remember when people dressed up more formally. Jeans and flip-flops denotes a lack of respect for the Mass.
St. Joseph has actually been part of the Gluckstadt community for decades.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 PM

806 posts, read 773,454 times
Pinelake would probably be a good choice as they have many programs for kids. My family has attended the Rez location for 15 years, the church has changed a lot over the years, but still has a good children's program. Jeans/shorts are certainly the normal and the presentation/music/lighting/atmosphere is first class. I make this recommendation based on the Rez location.

Look at getting him involved in scouting depending on age. Kids likely learn more through scouting than any other activity and there are many education/job benefits if he makes it to Eagle.

Swimming is another activity to consider (I'm assuming there is a team in Clinton), like other sports it can get cultish, just set limits.

When he gets to the appropriate age, you may want to look at guitar lessons, it's a skill he will use for a lifetime and the chicks dig it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or