U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM

55 posts, read 51,095 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Tennessee and my registration, tags expire at the end of this month (September). I am moving out of my apartment here in Tennessee on Monday (September 15). I was laid off from my job in June and my parents live in Mississippi. I have a girlfriend out in California so I have also looked for a job out there. For the time being until I can figure out where I am going, I am going to stay with my parents in MS. I might find a job there or I might find one out in California or back in Tennessee? Who knows?

I'm trying to figure out what to do about my car registration. I would rather just renew it here in TN real quick without having to get all new license plate, drivers license, title, etc. in Mississippi. I know some people have told me that when they moved from out of state into Tennessee they just let their old tags expire from their old state even if they formed a new residence in Tennessee. Once renewal came from their old state they just renewed at that time in Tennessee. They told me that they would leave their old address for their car insurance until they renewed in TN. I wanted to do the same thing for moving to Mississippi if possible? Is this what most people do?

But I was trying to research and I possibly saw that in Mississippi you will be fined $250 if you don't set up registration within 30 days if you move to a new address in Mississippi.

I'm just confused what to do because I don't know if I will get a job in Mississippi and stay at my parents address...or if I get a job out in California....or if I get a job back across the border from Mississippi in Tennessee and have my new address there. I might stay at my parents for 2 months or it could be close to a year...I have no idea is the problem. Even if I got a permanent residence in Mississippi or a new location in Tennessee can I still wait for my tags to expire in September 2015?

What should I do?

Last edited by jagsfan05; 09-11-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:29 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,065,226 times
Get your TN tags and move to MS and live with your parents temporarily. I consider getting a job in MS and living here a permanent move.

I know car tags are expensive here but that money helps pay for local services. If you leave MS then turn in your tags and you will be refunded for the remainder of the year you paid for.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM

So wait I'm confused...are you saying to just renew my tags here in TN and then move to Mississippi on Monday? And then just keep my TN tags for a year because I'm not sure how long I will be at my parents house, etc.?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Correct on question 1.

Question 2 - Change your registration to MS when that move is permanent. By permanent, I mean when you get a job or decide to live with your parents indefinitely.

If you decide to keep your new TN tags for a year and lie to authorities if questioned, then that's totally up to you. But you will be breaking the law and if I knew you personally, I'd rat you out in a heartbeat. I have to pay my car tags, you should to.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Obviously I believe in paying my car tags I just don't know my current future so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this...
No Robert of course I would get new tags if I get a new job or something permanent! I just want to make sure that until then I won't get in trouble if I have my old TN tags before a year is up....If it takes close to a year until I decide is that ok? As long as once I know I change it? What should I tell a cop if they do look at my registration from TN until I change it?

So it's fine just not telling my insurance company my new address until I know for sure?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM

I don't know what to tell you to do if you are pulled over. If your driver's license is in TN and your tags are TN and your insurance address matches, you will probably not have any issues no matter where you live.

Insurance depends on where you live now. You may get a lower rate by giving them your parents address.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM

806 posts, read 770,551 times
Not necessarily the legal answer, but probably easier (and cheaper) to keep it in TN.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:25 PM

105 posts, read 233,373 times
I believe since there is no house registered in your name in Mississippi & you are not registered to vote in MS you can always say you are visiting your parents in MS, I think I would keep the TN tag until I was sure what I was going to do.
Depending on the age of your car tags in MS could be high if it is new. I have two older vehicles & pay $35.00 each for tags.
Of course if you get MS tags, you will need to get MS DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi