U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM
 
2,687 posts, read 1,835,548 times
Reputation: 1466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
All you do is insult people. You aren't persuading anybody and obviously you aren't good at debate.

Lot of liberals run away from it. Get the courage of your convictions. You clearly love the Obamas. You won't go to jail for being a Democrat.

lol

I'm not trying to persuade you, it's pointless to try and persuade a rightwing conspiracy-theorist nutter they're wrong about anything. Pretty much no one else here seems to agree with you on this. One can argue that the obesity stats don't enter into whether Mississippi is a good place to live or not, but that's different than actually taking issue with the validity of the stats themselves.

If you had any argument to make, you'd make it, and you wouldn't be reduced to accusing me of being an Obama lover. But let's review, because it'll be fun for me if unpleasant for you:

1. You clearly had no idea what you were talking about when you entered into this You were blindsided by the fact that there were actual hard numbers to backup the estimates (death certificates, insurance company numbers, medicaid, medicare, polls of medical providers, etc).

2. You have accused me of playing doctor while yourself going against the accepted medical opinion of virtually all of western medicine (that obesity is largely the result of lifestyle choices; that it's a valid public health concern).

3. When caught out on #1 and #2, you retreated to off-point remarks about my politics (and in keeping you streak alive, you know just as little about them as you do about medicine), and making wild accusations.

4. Now, are you done here, or will not be happy until you've gone from lobbing insults that would have seemed lame when I was in junior high, to lobbing insults that would have seemed lame when I was in elementary school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM
 
123 posts, read 126,064 times
Reputation: 84
All you keep doing is asserting everybody agrees with you. We have no independent corroboration that anybody agrees with you on anything. Just your assertion. I've logically laid out why it is isn't believable healthcare costs are result of obesity. I've also exposed the fact that the government obesity "stats" are based on polling, not actual patient info from every resident of the state. You can say those stats are the gospel if you want, but no reason why anybody has to believe that.

I can read your posts and how you express yourself and ascertain that you are not physician. So anything you say about medical stuff has to be taken with a big ole grain of salt. If you don't like that, go get a medical degree. Nobody will ever pay you for medical advice.

I've also pointed out a simple Google search leads to various medical physician reviewed websits like WebMD talking about a genetic link to obesity. To me, it is kind of obvious that there is a genetic component to obesity. That doesn't seem like a wild claim.

I don't see what basis you have for calling me a "nut". I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm a very rational person. I guess somebody is a nut if they don't agree with you on something. You have a God complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 01:40 PM
 
2,687 posts, read 1,835,548 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
All you keep doing is asserting everybody agrees with you. We have no independent corroboration that anybody agrees with you on anything. Just your assertion. I've logically laid out why it is isn't believable healthcare costs are result of obesity. I've also exposed the fact that the government obesity "stats" are based on polling, not actual patient info from every resident of the state. You can say those stats are the gospel if you want, but no reason why anybody has to believe that.
You haven't said anything logical, or true.

Is that all you got? An attempt to say the medical community doesn't say what they constantly say and an assertion that there is no hard data to back up the stats in spite of me just in my previous post pointing out that was not the case?

It's not my assertion, it's accepted health policy in every single advanced nation on earth. There is no major independent research organization that has come out in support of what you're saying, at all. Not a single one. No major medical organization, like the AMA or the NIH or the CDC believe that obesity is largely the result of genetics, they believe it is most often the result of lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 PM
 
123 posts, read 126,064 times
Reputation: 84
Ok. You've made your case, I've made mine. WE just have to trust that you are representing the views of those groups accurately, you haven't actually quoted their views on obesity. I don't think most healthcare type groups are going to deny there is a genetic component to obesity.

Doesn't really matter, does it? You haven't solved obesity, have you? Costs have not come down with ObamaCare and he used lot of your rhetoric about obesity. In fact, costs have gone up for most Americans, despite his constant claims most would see their deductibles go down. Maybe more people got fat all of a sudden? lol

I'll give you the last word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: The North Star State
171 posts, read 151,911 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
Most poor people vote Democrat. Most obese people are poor. Your talking point is not realistic. Affluent suburbs generally vote Republican. Obama two wins were result of his ability to get poor voters to show up.

You are not likeable. Michelle Obama loves talking obesity too but she is not exactly slim shady

Nobody looking to you for lectures on health or why things cost what they do.
Affordable healthcare act increased costs for most Americans, despite number of obese people staying the same. Yes governent had bigger impact on costs.

Obama, Nancy pelosi, al gore, Hillary, bill, Kerry, biden not intellectuals. People who rack up debt and mismanage money like Democrats are not bright or educated. They are fools.

I associate quality of life with good weather, light traffic, golf course, recreational, good restaurants, etc

Not number of fat people or college degee people in town. Elitists like you too uptight and full of yourself to know what the good life is, and Democrats always act like they care more about poor and less uneducated but seem to disdain them: I
This is a parody account, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM
 
Location: California
647 posts, read 480,491 times
Reputation: 925
Too much back and forth arguing here.

While im not a physician I work in the medical field so my opinion may have some clout.

The number one cause of increased rates is NOT cancer by the way, its chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes etc. These are linked with obesity and sedentary lifestyles. In fact, obesity on its own has a strong link to cancer. Given that about 30% of americans qualify as obese, i wouldnt be surprised if a third of mississipians are obese. Your insurance company typically screens your weight to help determine your rates.

The stats on obesity are from data collected from insurance companies. Everytime you go to the doctor, your height, weight, cholesterol etc information goes to the insurance company who then crunches the data to ascertain your rate. They crunch lots of numbers to come up with rates for smokers vs non smokers etc. this info is given to the CDC etc as anonymous numbers to perform studies. Because its anonymous, it doesnt violate HIPAA.

Americans are fatasses. And southerners even more so in some areas (obviously cities like miami and charleston less so than memphis or jackson, miss). But you can buy tofu and go jogging just as easily in mississippi as denver. People should make healthier choices regardless
of their locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,878,564 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yes, MS has problems. There was a lot I didn't like, too. But I will say that I have never come across a kinder, more generous and friendly group of people. Were some of them chubby and had less education than I was used to? Yes, but for the most part they were awfully nice people. I'd take that over some slim, highly educated snob who treats others like trash because they don't meet certain standards.

And the wild wisteria in the springtime was like heaven on earth. Looking back, I wish I hadn't focused so much on the negative and appreciated the good. Probably good advice for anyone living anywhere.
I agree with this post. I was born and raised in Boston and I have lived in the south for a lot of my life since I moved out of MA. I have lived in KY, AL, FL and TX. I will say the people are less pretentious and a lot more outgoing and friendly than back in the Northeast. Thats what I love about the South the people are down to earth and willing to help you out, yes its annoying some people are ignorant but that is everywhere. Southern women and I have always got along really well. I like the South I don't care what my elitist friends from back home say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
819 posts, read 1,245,631 times
Reputation: 749
I thought the obesity stats come from phone surveys conducted by the CDC. So really you are relying on people to give out truthful information about their height and weight. Of course no one ever lies about that! As someone originally from a state that gets bashed a lot (WV), I sympathize with Mississippi natives.

People in the South are not so fat after all -- and they lie less | AL.com
When actual data is used, the West North Central region, which includes Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and North and South Dakota, ranked as the most obese part of the country.

Last edited by tallydude02; 10-19-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,267 posts, read 10,215,444 times
Reputation: 5354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
1. 11% unemployment (highest in nation)

2. 82% high school educated work force

3. 35% obesity (HIGHEST)

4. Median income $37K (lowest)

5. Life expectancy 75 yrs (lowest)

6. Backwards racist "christians"

7. 0 Job oppurtunities ( see 1.)

8. Ignorant unreasonable people (see 2.)

9. Extremely hot summers

10. BORING



I cannot stress enough how much I hate living here. While im thankful for a home and food I am not thankful for this horrid state. MS please overhaul every policy and just your general way of life. Thanks


-2089
Are you a native saying this or a transplant. Maybe a little humility in the state your in right now and not trashing the whole place. I'm no fan of MS politics, but no need to be so rude with your last statement. I found Biloxi to be very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 PM
 
123 posts, read 126,064 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Too much back and forth arguing here.

While im not a physician I work in the medical field so my opinion may have some clout.

The number one cause of increased rates is NOT cancer by the way, its chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes etc. These are linked with obesity and sedentary lifestyles. In fact, obesity on its own has a strong link to cancer. Given that about 30% of americans qualify as obese, i wouldnt be surprised if a third of mississipians are obese. Your insurance company typically screens your weight to help determine your rates.

The stats on obesity are from data collected from insurance companies. Everytime you go to the doctor, your height, weight, cholesterol etc information goes to the insurance company who then crunches the data to ascertain your rate. They crunch lots of numbers to come up with rates for smokers vs non smokers etc. this info is given to the CDC etc as anonymous numbers to perform studies. Because its anonymous, it doesnt violate HIPAA.

Americans are fatasses. And southerners even more so in some areas (obviously cities like miami and charleston less so than memphis or jackson, miss). But you can buy tofu and go jogging just as easily in mississippi as denver. People should make healthier choices regardless
of their locale.
I'm not a fatass so speak for yourself. "Americans are fatasses" doesn't solve obesity and just reflects you are a negative person who obsessess about other people in a negative way rather than just focusing on yourself. If you think there isn't similar number of overweight people in other countries you are kidding yourself. Typical anti-Americanism.

Weight issues is something that needs to be between physician and patient or between family members, or a weight lost expert at a gym and a customer. It isn't a public issue for busy bodies who just repeat things various politicians have said. Obama hasn't even banned flights from the countries where lot of people are dying from ebola but we are supposed to look to him for advice on obesity? lol Apparently he thinks Americans have osmething in our DNA that gives us immunity from ebola.

Last edited by Back In Orange; 10-19-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top