U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,415 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Mississippi in a few months from Austin, TX for a job in Vicksburg. I am trying to decide if it makes more sense to live in Vicksburg or Clinton? As far as I can tell, the pro for Vicksburg would be that its close to work, and the major con would be that it is fairly isolated with little to do. For Clinton, pros would be that I am closer to more amenities and would possibly have more social opportunities, but I would have to commute to work (I'm originally from Houston so the idea of a 30 minute commute doesn't bother me). However, it seems to me that most people who live in Clinton and commute are married and have families. (About me: single white early 20's female, fairly liberal, no kids, not religious) I am concerned that I will have a hard time making other single friends my age anywhere I live in MS, especially since I am expecting a bit of a culture clash with the predominately conservative crowd in these areas. (I have no issue with religious/ conservative people, but I don't share their ideology and it would be nice to make a few friends that are more left-leaning like myself).

I have plenty of hobbies that I can entertain myself with in Vicksburg since there is not much to do, but I don't want to feel completely isolated and stifled. I guess what I'm asking is, would it significantly improve my social life prospects/ quality of life to live in Clinton rather than Vicksburg? I am definitely willing to commute if it will improve my quality of life, but I don't want to bother with the distance if things will be roughly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,593,722 times
I would suggest that you live in Belhaven neighborhood in Jackson. It's maybe 10 to 15 minutes further than Clinton (for a total of roughly 45 or 50 minutes commute to Vicksburg). With its proximity to universities, etc, there are plenty of left and moderate professionals. I believe they have a website called "greater belhaven".

Or you could consider an apartment in one of the newly converted buildings in downtown Jackson. Clinton is lovely but it's the home of a Baptist university and is a nice suburban area for families, i.e. it's not a place to meet left-leaning singles.

Vicksburg is very diverse and if you like history and architecture, it's a treasure of historic homes for fixing up to your liking. And Vicksburg as a river town, has never been super-conservative compared to some other towns in the area. However it's not really a place for young people unless you have very specific interests (e.g. home renovations, furniture, decorating, cycling, yoga, writing, etc) and can thrive anywhere.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,867,686 times
I thought we had discussed this question recently, and we have. Apparent a company in Vicksburg is hiring young, single females from across the country and telling them they should consider commuting from Clinton. The other girl was from New York, and she had the exact same question for the exact same reason. Peruse that thread for more information.

One issue is the commute, which is discussed in that thread. I've also lived in cities with long time commutes, but there's a huge difference in cost between easing along in slow traffic for 30 minutes vs. driving full-speed down a highway for 30 minutes. The open highway is much less stressful, but the expenses and vehicle wear can be killer.

Your situation could be different, however, in that you mention a politically liberal background. Unfortunately, you are right in that the area is dominated by conservative thinking. This is a gross generalization, but typically the people who vote for Democrats in the area are the ones who were failed by Republican Capitalism and who want their "Obama phone" (yes, I am aware the program was started by Reagan then expanded by Bush, Clinton, Bush, and then Obama, but Obama is stuck with the name thanks to that wonderfully ignorant campaign worker in the viral video).

Also, yes, I'm quite sure you'll be able to find well-off liberals in the area, but they will be few and far between. If you want a more intellectual liberal scene you'll have to follow brickpatio's advice and look around the small colleges in Jackson. Milsaps, Belhaven, and the University of Mississippi Medical Center are all in the same general area. BP already mentioned Greater Belhaven, and there's also Fondren just to the north. Living there, however, will greatly add to your commute. Perhaps a compromise would be to live near Clinton and hang out around the colleges in your free time.

[DISCLAIMER: Not only is the generalization gross, but it is quite possibly outdated. I haven't been to Vicksburg in quite some time. If my information is wrong and there is a vibrant Liberal community in the area please feel free to correct me)

Last edited by jwkilgore; 10-16-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 PM

53 posts, read 115,237 times
I live in Clinton, and while it has many advantages, I'm not sure more amenities is a reason to move here. We have no bars or clubs (Applebee's restaurant has a bar). We have no sale of beer or Alcohol on Sunday. Clinton is home to Mississippi College the oldest Baptist college in Mississippi. I don't have a clue where you would meet someone to hang out with in Clinton unless church was in your agenda. We have some wonderful churches here and a lot of young people. If you enjoy church there are a lot to chose from Methodist, Baptist, even a Mormon church and they do a lot of activities. I,m much more liberal than many of my friends in Clinton, but I am also much older then you. I've met my closest friends through work ( I teach) and also through the many local theaters we have throughout Jackson, Ridgeland, Vicksburg ect. If I were you I would live in Vicksburg for at least 6 months. That will put you close to work and give you a chance to explore the area.
I hope your job is awesome ,and welcome to Mississippi. I've been here for 3 years and am so happy I made the move.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,415 times
Thanks for all the responses! I actually worked in Vicksburg last summer for 2 months temporarily, and will be moving back to take the same job permanently next summer. So I did get a taste of what life is like in Vicksburg, and it wasn't terrible but I did find that I was very bored most of the time. My employer provides a vanpool from Clinton to Vicksburg for people who commute so I wouldn't be incurring any extra expenses because of the commute; really the only issue is the time spent riding in the van everyday. I think I will check out some apartments in the Belhaven area and do some more soul searching about whether or not I want to try to live in Vicksburg or commute. I agree that Clinton is not the best place for someone like me, so if I do decide to commute I think I'll look for places in Jackson. Then its only a 10-15 minute drive to the van, followed by a 30 minute van ride.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:15 AM

6,235 posts, read 6,888,568 times
Stumbled upon this thread randomly and it's a really interesting scenario. All I want to say is best of luck! Hope it all turns out well. Knowing next to nothing about Mississippi I think I would live in DT Jackson and commute (to Vicksburg via Clinton)

Old 10-26-2014, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,842 times
If you want to get raped, then Jackson or Birmingham would be good choices.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,019 times
Unfortunately I don't think Clinton in particular is going to be much more exciting than Vicksburg and is relatively boring. One of my good friends from college grew up there and moved back for a job after college. Based on what he has told me there isn't much to do there, particularly if you are not a big fan of the church scene and those types of communities.
The only advantage I could see is that you are likely somewhat closer to more interesting areas living in Clinton than Vicksburg. It still might be worth checking out neighboring towns and cities.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 8,827 times
@TX2MS, first, welcome back!

Second, I'm a bit biased, but, I might drive to the vanshare lot each day - from Fondren. If you want a neighborhood that embraces your self description - "single white early 20's female, fairly liberal, no kids, not religious" - we are the perfect fit for you.

The restaurant and bar scene is the best in the state, hands down, the vibe is very eclectic and all ideologies, thoughts and beliefs are not only welcomed, but celebrated here.

I'll say this: even if you don't live in Fondren, you will be here all the time because it's the one place in the state that "gets" you. For me, describing myself the same as you do - except married - it's the ONLY place in this state I would ever want to live.

Here's a link (I think someone already shared) to Find It In Fondren, the place where I keep up with all things Fondren. If it's going on there, they usually know about it first. About Fondren | Find It In Fondren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or