U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM

111 posts, read 189,297 times

Advertisements

I read many of the media's reports of Mississippi, such as poor health, lack of resources, and a low education rate. Does anyone in Mississippi agrees with these reports?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Status: "Pondering the difference between America and AmeriKKKa" (set 1 day ago)

3,958 posts, read 2,090,191 times
For the state as a whole, I'm afraid it's true; especially given there are huge gaps in income, education, and occupation attainment that fall largely along racial lines. The areas by the Mississippi River (SW MS and "The Delta" - between I-20 and Memphis are especially notorious). The city of Jackson (esp. West Jackson) is also bad. Not as bad as The Delta but still pretty serious.

The least bad areas - even fairly good areas - (statistically) are the Jackson Suburbs, the Coast, DeSoto County (suburban Memphis) and NE Mississippi.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Yeah, I pretty much agree with Phil. Statistically, it's all true.
The Great Migration out of Mississippi, which happened mostly in the 50's and 60's left the dregs behind. Sad to call a human being something like a "dreg", but there it is. And if I have dug myself a hole, I may as well keep digging and say that those "dregs" gave birth to little "dregettes", which we are stuck with today.

Mississippi has some fine people. We have professional people and business people in our state who can challenge the best in any other state.

But we also have 15% who represent a class of society rarely found in other states.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,990 times
It seems it's like that everywhere. My family is considering a move to the Waveland area from Illinois so I am reading as many relevant threads as possible. Thanks to all who have posted; its been vey helpful.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,740,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, I pretty much agree with Phil. Statistically, it's all true.
The Great Migration out of Mississippi, which happened mostly in the 50's and 60's left the dregs behind. Sad to call a human being something like a "dreg", but there it is. And if I have dug myself a hole, I may as well keep digging and say that those "dregs" gave birth to little "dregettes", which we are stuck with today.

Mississippi has some fine people. We have professional people and business people in our state who can challenge the best in any other state.

But we also have 15% who represent a class of society rarely found in other states.
Where did you get the 15 percent figure? What percentage of "dregs" would you say the city of Chicago has? Tennessee was ranked as the most dangerous state, based on violent crime numbers. So how would they rate on the "dreg" scale? If Miss is number one for the percentage of "dregs", what state in number two on your list? Or give us your top 10.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 PM

12,165 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
I read many of the media's reports of Mississippi, such as poor health, lack of resources, and a low education rate. Does anyone in Mississippi agrees with these reports?

No, not to the degree that is portrayed in the media. Never trust the media. Yeah some of it is true - it's for sure not the most educated or prosperous state. But on the flip side media responds to stereotypes and prints what people want to hear, sensationalism. They are out to make a profit, not to tell the truth. So everything is basically overblown/exaggerated, almost to the extreme.
Really it's the same problem with all of the southern states - you would think everyone living here resembles the cast members from "The Dukes of Hazard" or "Deliverance".
I'm not from here, just been living here for the last 8 years or so. It's not THAT drastically different from anywhere in the US that I have lived or visited (and I have been to 48 of the 50 states). Strangely enough, these type of posts attract first time posters...I don't know why. But I hold little value in there opinions.

Is Chicago full of gangbanging hoodlums and every politician corrupt? You must live next door to one, right? Of course not.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,106,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post

Generally, a low tax state equals low services and benefits for the people to enjoy.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,153 times
The US Census' poverty report on the state (SPM: supplemental poverty measure, which accounts for cost of living) lists Mississippi's poverty rate significantly below the US average and virtually identical to that of Oregon and North Carolina.

The main area of poverty is in California, as well as New York. The Delta mentioned above in the next 30 years will have a population few than 100,000 people. across some 14 counties It's almost entirely an expanse of rich, green fields of beautiful crops and sunsets. The big poverty is in California, some 24% of the population according to the US Census, or nearly 10 million people. Measures such as overweight/obese are virtually identical to other states measured by race/ethnicity, and actually a bit lower than many states (e.g. such as Iowa that we discussed earlier, which is the state with by far the lowest poverty rates)

Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 AM

12,165 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Generally, a low tax state equals low services and benefits for the people to enjoy.
That may be so, but MS is not really a low tax state. Based on whatever study on ranking you do, MS is generally middle of the pack. I certainly wish they didn't have a state income tax like TN or FL.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM

2,790 posts, read 3,877,289 times
If you are talking about magazine articles that select 2-3 statistics and aggregate them into "the best retirement state" or "safest state", then they are all pretty much bogus.

If you are talking about official government studies that report numbers like obesity and poverty rates, then I have more faith. But as a recent thread in the Jackson sub-forum makes clear, even those studies can have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or