U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM

978 posts, read 1,020,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I grew up in the Louisiana Delta, so a few words from a native of the area.

First, almost any place in the Delta is going to be at least a 70 mile trip from either Jackson or Memphis - most of the area is more than that from both cities. Being from Iowa (very comparable to Mississippi in both population density and total population) you may already be accustomed to driving over an hour to the nearest shopping mall.

Second, as others have said and I can attest, the area is infamous for its poverty - divided largely along racial lines (the White standard of living is comparable to that of Whites in other rural areas of the nation). It's almost impossible to get a job there unless you already know someone living there -- even minimum wage ones. So unless you plan to retire there OR have a very solid opportunity for the taking, I'd seriously consider some other region of the state.

Third, the racial divide here is <i>razor</i> sharp. Aside from standard small-town "hello, how's the kids", "how're you doing" and chit-chat in the checkout line at the grocery stores, there's not a whole lot of interaction between the races here. The cultural divide + ENORMOUS gaps in income, education, and occupation (see the 2nd point) make for a huge gulf and general lack of understanding of each other's communities.

Fourth (applies only if you have kids or plan to raise a family there). Unless you can be absolutely sure they WILL, in fact, be into hunting & fishing, auto mechanics, high school sports, etc. (and show me a parent who can actually predict such a thing), you may need to take them to Jackson or Memphis fairly often, especially if none of the mentioned hobbies interest them. Otherwise they're likely to spiritually stagnate. Making a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to these cities once every 2 to 3 weeks so they can develop social contacts there WILL be a necessity if their deepest interest lie well away from the hunting-mechanics-sports stuff (especially if they have outright high IQ interests). On top of that, the reason why those three sets of hobbies/lifestyles are so popular in the Delta is frankly because there's not a whole hell of a lot to do there, especially for people under 30 years old.

I'd say it's FAR more than 1/3. Furthermore, even assuming the less-populated-but-more-wealthy prediction comes to pass, that won't necessarily make it a more attractive place to live. It'll simply become a warm and wet Great Plains: a rather low-poverty farming area where the middle and upper class kids flee from to the big cities, a huge brain drain region with a high median age population. Indeed, for the middle class whites it's already been that way for decades, if not generations. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out (though it's barely plausible I will live another 45 years).
You sir, are a wise man, likely only second to me on this forum!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:32 AM
Status: "Mherkuh's fallen, but not America." (set 6 days ago)

4,635 posts, read 2,564,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
You sir, are a wise man, likely only second to me on this forum!
Second? ONLY Second?
You know right well I'm the wiser one you terminal narcissist

Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,289,590 times
Quote:
This was tounge in cheek. If you are not easily offended, go to YouTube and search Silverado verses Ford.
As was my reply

Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,769,350 times
Thanks for all your replies, comments and advices. It is hard to explain but I love Mississippi despite all its problems, I am already planning another road trip down there.

Mississippi's musical heritage is fascinating to me. I am a huge blues/country fan and besides the most obvious people from Mississippi like Elvis and other blues musicians, I am a huge fan of people like Charley Pride, Paul Davis and Paul Overstreet, too many great artists to list

Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM

18,627 posts, read 10,942,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Thanks for all your replies, comments and advices. It is hard to explain but I love Mississippi despite all its problems, I am already planning another road trip down there.

Mississippi's musical heritage is fascinating to me. I am a huge blues/country fan and besides the most obvious people from Mississippi like Elvis and other blues musicians, I am a huge fan of people like Charley Pride, Paul Davis and Paul Overstreet, too many great artists to list
If you can, take a drive down MS-1 Put on some John Prine - "Crazy As A Loon" is a good choice - roll down the windows and wave to the people. They'll wave back.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 AM

44 posts, read 93,681 times
Of the towns you mentioned, Rolling Fork is the only real town. It has a population of about 2,000. Sharkey County, of which Rolling Fork is the seat, has 4,700 people. Issaquena County, to the west, has 1,400 people. For all practical purposes the counties are combined, save that they have separate courthouses. Anguilla is five miles north of Rolling Fork. They have separate governments, but these days might as well be combined. The people of the area are kind of a country version of the Delta myth, with maybe a bit of Baptist thrown in, but not so Baptist they won't take a drink.

If you go north 40 miles, Leland has a population of almost 5,000. It has become a haven for upscale whites fleeing dying Delta towns.

Since you don't have children, you might consider Holly Springs, located between Oxford and Memphis. Housing prices have been in a nosedive because whites have gotten tired of paying to send their kids to school, and so are moving away. The boyhood home of Memphis Mayor and boss E.H. Crump recently sold for about $95,000 after lingering on Homepath for almost two years. The house is perfectly restored and in a good neighborhood just two blocks from the Square. Here's the link: 127 W Gholson Ave, Holly Springs, MS 38635 is Off Market - Zillow

Just be aware when you come into these declining communities that housing is super-cheap. Very nice homes, including historic mansions in good repair, often go for about $35 per square foot. Don't get excited and pay too much.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 AM

177 posts, read 887,681 times
Default Wow!?

Quote:
The people left in the delta (minus the few farmers and government employees - a tiny percentage of residents) mostly are the bottom of the barrel, they stayed while the smart, or at least the slightly motivated, ones left for greener pastures.

The current breed of folk who occupy the delta are happy with their monthly subsidies, shanties and carefree lives and have no interest in bettering themselves or making better lives for thier offspring and unfortantly they reproduce like crazy (that's part of the carefree lifestyle).

There are very few above minimum wage jobs in the delta and unfortantly there will never be good jobs in the delta.

I'll be sure to let my friends and family that are still there and relatively successful, as compared to your standards, that they are "the bottom of the barrel". Sheesh!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM

978 posts, read 1,020,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
I'll be sure to let my friends and family that are still there and relatively successful, as compared to your standards, that they are "the bottom of the barrel". Sheesh!
If they are bottom of the barrel, they already know it and don't care. Obviously there are those involved in farming, bidness owners and professionals (attorneys, CPAs, etc), but these are by far the minority (when looking at the delta as a whole).

Cleveland is the jewel of the delta (the only place where caring, middle class parents would likely send their kids to public school), followed by Greenwood.

I mostly judge communities by public schools, if I wouldn't send my kids to a community's public schools, I usually have a poor opinion of the community (as far as a place to raise kids and as a place you would want them to settle). There are a few exceptions, like Carrollton, if Carroll Academy didn't exist, public schools in Carrollton would likely be amoung the best in the state.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM

17,386 posts, read 35,255,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post

Since you don't have children, you might consider Holly Springs, located between Oxford and Memphis. Housing prices have been in a nosedive because whites have gotten tired of paying to send their kids to school, and so are moving away. The boyhood home of Memphis Mayor and boss E.H. Crump recently sold for about $95,000 after lingering on Homepath for almost two years. The house is perfectly restored and in a good neighborhood just two blocks from the Square. Here's the link: 127 W Gholson Ave, Holly Springs, MS 38635 is Off Market - Zillow

Just be aware when you come into these declining communities that housing is super-cheap. Very nice homes, including historic mansions in good repair, often go for about $35 per square foot. Don't get excited and pay too much.
Marshall County is a dreadful place. The blacks there act ghetto and half of the whites seem to be strung out on drugs. At least that's how it was a decade ago, I can't imagine that it has improved.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,769,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Honestly, I would never pay 300 K for a home. My idea of retirement in Mississippi would be as simple as possible. Even if I happen to accumulate a few million by the time I retire, I would not want anybody to know.

I am a Wrangler, cowboy hat, small town, F 350/Silverado 3500 kinda guy Money has never/will never define/change me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi