Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The other part I sweat is when the family finds out.
Great Caesar's Ghost!! Pray tell why haven't you told them yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Great Caesar's Ghost!! Pray tell why haven't you told them yet?
The family who resisted every step for me to even visit that school, railed against my choice of it?

Do you think they'd even be supportive now? Because they are not. I can guarantee that.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Quote:
The family who resisted every step for me to even visit that school, railed against my choice of it?

Do you think they'd even be supportive now? Because they are not. I can guarantee that.
I can see the emotional factors governing your decision to withhold this information. Probably you're doing the right thing by not becoming embroiled in another melodrama. Just be polite - go your own way. Everything will be fine.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
What's their problem with it? It's not Harvard, but it's not that bad.

The Ayers settlement hampered the big three in MS, all public universities have to have the same admissions standards; therefore, State/Southern/Ole Miss have to take virtually everyone. Low standards are not a plus in higher education.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
What's their problem with it? It's not Harvard, but it's not that bad.

The Ayers settlement hampered the big three in MS, all public universities have to have the same admissions standards; therefore, State/Southern/Ole Miss have to take virtually everyone. Low standards are not a plus in higher education.
It's not for reasons you'd think.

My parents, don't want me going to Ole Miss because for starters it's far from home. They see what I am pursuing as absolutely useless, and because the state of Mississippi has a high black population (something I don't even have issue with).

The whole Ferguson thing had my old man galvanized even further about it, my uncle in Texas who often takes business trips to Little Rock and Memphis comments how I am going to be making a mistake by being around that environment.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Where is this coming from? Ayers said that the state needs to find all their state schools appropriately. I am not aware of any statement in Ayers about admission standards.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 PM

So, can anybody hook me up with work out there?

Know anybody? Got help in the Oxford area?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Well the fees are paid up.

Now I just wait.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
It's not for reasons you'd think.

My parents, don't want me going to Ole Miss because for starters it's far from home. They see what I am pursuing as absolutely useless, and because the state of Mississippi has a high black population (something I don't even have issue with).

The whole Ferguson thing had my old man galvanized even further about it, my uncle in Texas who often takes business trips to Little Rock and Memphis comments how I am going to be making a mistake by being around that environment.
what are you pursuing? Contrary to what most people think, Mississippi's demographic in terms of race is 54% right and 37% black.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
what are you pursuing? Contrary to what most people think, Mississippi's demographic in terms of race is 54% right and 37% black.
I'm doing a year in Undergrad for some history prerequisites. To bump my GPA above 3.0

Then going into the Grad School to take the history program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi