U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaby View Post
I have a question with no insult intended. I genuinely would like to know why, if the environment is so negative and insulting to many that are in Mississippi that rent and do not own property there, do they not move somewhere that is more to their liking?

I am not a wealthy person by any means and that is what I did when the area that I was living in went in a direction that was not appealing to me and my lifestyle; I packed my stuff and left! Why do the unhappy people stay? Life is too short to be miserable.

Another thing that confuses me is that people from other states have moved there and are now complaining. It is well known what Mississippians are like and what they stand for. The transplants surely knew what they were getting into beforehand, didn't they?

Most people would rather complain than move. Moving involves far more work than complaining.

It is also unfair to hold it against many of the people who move here and are unhappy. Statistics show many will leave. The other side of that is a lot of them have no choice. People in the military, people under contractual obligation for work or training programs and people who chance it for an opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Status: "Pondering the difference between America and AmeriKKKa" (set 1 day ago)

3,958 posts, read 2,088,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
If anything, be mad at the Africans. For kidnapping other tribes and selling them to white Europeans.

If slavery was to be ended (and it should have been) it should have happened in a phasing out fashion. First that no new slaves were to be purchased, and that all children born from a certain date were free. Then there should have been either a buy out in phases by the federal government, or a gradual transition from slaves into salaried workers. That way everyone wins. Slaves freed, planters don't lose their investment and livelihood, southern economy doesn't collapse. Then eventually, a quasi-independent black state should've been formed...probably in the uninhabited western territories somewhere...like where Seattle is now. Former slaves could migrate there and homestead, build their own society and either be autonomous under the USA or choose to be their own nation.

Life would be better for blacks, southern whites, and northern whites now sharing cities with the relatives of slaves.
First, the British Empire eliminated slavery in 1833 pretty suddenly, with no obvious ill-effects to the plantation owners.

Second, the "be mad at the Africans" bit is just blame-shifting at best, victim-blaming at worst. ALL people participating in the system deserve equal condemnation, and condemnation just as harsh as society gives the Antebellum plantation owners besides. True, Africans themselves sold their kin, but Whites bought them. Admit that whites and Africans are equally blameworthy. Half of the blame is still legitimate blame, no matter who did it.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:02 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,105,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Every list generally has someone at the top and someone at the bottom, just the way it is.
Thats true, but generally, the person consistently at or near the bottom usually tries to get out of last place and strive for at least middle of the pack. Where's the ambition if your philosophy is "someone has to be at the bottom, so it might as well be me" ?

Is that what you would tell your kids if they were consistently ranking at the bottom of their class, that "somebody has to come in last place, kids, so it might as well be you" ?

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-11-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 PM

13,453 posts, read 8,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
First, the British Empire eliminated slavery in 1833 pretty suddenly, with no obvious ill-effects to the plantation owners................
The British were consulted once, in an effort to learn exactly how a nation goes about freeing millions of people all at once. Britain phased in civility and phased out slavery. America did not.

One of the key components was the compensation of former slave owners for losing their laborers. But there are lots of opinions and articles on the Web.

No one recommended that freedom be granted the way it was, with 3.5 million illiterate, lost, angry people being turned loose among 5 million White people in a countryside that had been destroyed and thus had no jobs to offer and no intention of hiring former slaves, anyway.
In America, it was a disaster.

Last edited by Listener2307; 04-11-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM

13,453 posts, read 8,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Thats true, but generally, the person consistently at or near the bottom usually tries to get out of last place and strive for at least middle of the pack. Where's the ambition if your philosophy is "someone has to be at the bottom, so it might as well be me" ?

Is that what you would tell your kids if they were consistently ranking at the bottom of their class, that "somebody has to come in last place, kids, so it might as well be you" ?
Your point is on target, but you forget that Mississippi is not at the bottom. That has already been discussed and pointed out that Washington DC and Alaska are actually on the bottom.
You will find Mississippi at #40.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

Quote:
In light of back-to-school season, WalletHub compared the quality of education in the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia by analyzing 13 key metrics that range from student-teacher ratios to standardized-test scores to dropout rates.
Various organizations with various agendas use a single metric (like teacher salary, used by NEA) and sometimes Mississippi appears last on those lists.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:43 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,119,131 times
I brought out my MS flag just for this occasion too.

Down in Louisiana the vast majority of voters there oppose any monument removals.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM

14,149 posts, read 19,670,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I brought out my MS flag just for this occasion too.

Down in Louisiana the vast majority of voters there oppose any monument removals.
It's conservative like any other southern state. Duh.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,038,893 times
most people see the falg as just a bunch of pretty colors, they dont thick about the history or any other matters. It like the monuments, three second look and then get back on life. then they those that really dont care about the flag or history and monumnet but just want to start a fight, over anything. yes I like the flag for its color and design. I dont thick second thought about anything else. i think more about work hours and whats for dinner. its not the issue but the fight, they could of switch the flag out and nobody would cared, but they wanted a fight, its offend them, well so does cats in the house.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:05 PM

5,146 posts, read 3,591,278 times
Its kind of funny. I grew up in the 40's and 50's in the deep South. What I knew of the Confederate flag and the song Dixie was at high school football pep rallies, the flag was waved(we were the Valley High Rebels) and the band played Dixie. I enlisted in the Army, got stationed in NJ for a while. I attended some parade function and one of the bands marching by played Dixie. The guys I was with(all from the north) jumped all over me cause I didn't stand and salute.
Poor old dumb Southern white boy, I was. I didn't understand. Later got shipped to Korea, my best friend from Calif. had a Confederate flag made for me. He thought I should have one. Again, I didn't understand why.
Later on in life and after the internet, I have concluded its not the Southern folks with the flag on their mind. Most good old boys in the South fly the flag to get a rise out of folks and it sure does appear to work.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 PM

416 posts, read 289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Might it change anytime soon? I am surprised it stays as is with Mississippi having a huge African American community. Georgia changed their flag to remove it years ago. But perhaps that was only possible due to the efforts of white liberals from Atlanta (think REM and other celebrities)?
Georgia still has a confederate flag as a state flag. It's no longer using the confederate battle flag is all.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-1863).svg.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi