U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
Man, I just wish we were allowed to maintain an average IQ to vote; of course that would mean the end of the democratic party.

But yes, I'm glad that we agree that there is nothing wrong with the Stars and Bars.
Interesting choice of insults. Speaking of being "allowed to maintain an average IQ to vote"(???), who said anything about the "Stars and Bars"? We're talking about the Confederate Battle Flag, sometimes referred to as the "Southern Cross", "Dixie Flag", or "Rebel Flag".

The "Stars and Bars" was the national flag of the Confederacy. It flew over the Capitol for two years, then was replaced by the "Stainless Banner". Perhaps you should read up on the history of the flag you probably claim represents your culture.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 04-21-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,006,052 times
I am typically a conservative on most issues but I support the idea of moving away from using any state flag for Mississippi that makes use of the confederate emblem. Have you guys ever sat back and wondered why some Mississippians are so vehemently against changing the state flag? I have relatives that are like that and it is a subject that can raise their blood pressure in no time at all. The truth is that most of my relatives know very little about our state's history, despite the fact that they have lived here their entire lives. I honestly doubt that they could even tell you who the current Governor is or who is representing Mississippi in Congress without looking it up. I seriously doubt that they could even tell you when the Civil War occurred.

Despite all their general ignorance with regard to history, they vehemently disagree with changing the state flag and spout off the tired, old cliche: "heritage, not hate". The problem is that they know so little about their own history and heritage that it makes little sense for one little item from that history to mean so much to them. Why do they care so much about it? The truth is that, for them, this issue is a symbolic way for them to take a stand against and thumb their nose at the Democratic Party, the NAACP and liberals in general. They will never admit that is what all of this fuss is about but that is absolutely what is really at the core of this fight for them and I have little doubt that it is at the core of the fight for many other Mississippians that voted against changing the flag.

Last edited by Jardine8; 04-22-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM

43 posts, read 88,258 times
There is a big difference in the use of the Confederate flag in the Georgia and Mississippi flags. In Georgia the Confederate flag was added in 1956 as a direct response to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling. Mississippi put the Confederate flag in its field in 1890, not to promote segregation, but to honor our Confederate dead and wounded and to recognize our history. IN 1890 forced integration simply wasn't part of the national conversation.

The voters of Mississippi were given an opportunity to vote on whether to adopt a new flag and they chose to keep the current one by a 2-1 margin; it was a landslide. It should be noted that there was a substantial percentage of "liberal" whites voting to change the flag, so the 2-1 defeat was not along racial lines. This link shows how each county voted in that election, and while some majority-black Delta counties supported the new flag, others, such as Sharkey, Issaquena, Quitman, Benton, and others voted to keep the 1890 flag. The issue has been voted on, and Mississippians black and white agreed that the 1890 flag should be our standard. So let's quit beating this dead horse!

Concerning Jay Stein and Steinmart, parts of Mississippi have always had a small but significant Jewish population. This is especially true of the Delta, where Jews were usually in the mercantile business. The story may be apocryphal, but Morris Grundfest, Jay Stein's maternal grandfather, was said to have been a Jewish peddler who worked up and down Deer Creek between Vicksburg and Greenville. One year he is said to have made the trip on foot, the next with a mule, the next with a horse, the next with a wagon, and soon he opened a mercantile business in Cary, Mississippi. His paternal grandfather, Sam Stein, was a Russian immigrant who opened Stein Mart in Greenville in 1908. It was always a discount department store, but Jay Stein made it into a chain.

In the South Delta there are a number of Jewish planters who made money in the mercantile business and invested their profits in farm land. I would guess the one of the largest, if not the largest, cotton farmers in Mississippi is Jewish, and in fact one of Morris Grundfest's grandchildren and Jay Stein's first cousin.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post
Concerning Jay Stein and Steinmart, parts of Mississippi have always had a small but significant Jewish population. This is especially true of the Delta, where Jews were usually in the mercantile business.
Off topic side bar, but did you know the design of the Battle Flag was dictated by a Jewish businessman? True story. The original proposal for the battle flag design had a St. George's Cross. After Charles Moise (son of Abraham Moise) objected to the inclusion of a Christian symbol on a national flag, the design was modified into a heraldic saltire ("X"). I wonder how many KKK members know the design of the flag they proudly display was dictated by a Jew?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,350,284 times
I don't think most people care about the flag. I also don't think most people care about the Confederate statues on the grounds of some Mississippi courthouses, such as the one in my hometown.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 AM

2,670 posts, read 2,347,742 times
The only Confederate flag that ended up mattering was the white one that was held up in 1865.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,155,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The only Confederate flag that ended up mattering was the white one that was held up in 1865.
Exactly. #GenShermanIsAHero

Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 PM

7,561 posts, read 9,410,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
I wish it was that easy for liberals to leave America.
I don't think you live in America.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,798 times
I think the Mississippi state flag is gorgeous, as state flags go. However, pragmatically I think Mississippi needs to show that it's building a modern economy and society based on high standards, freedom, competition, and fairness, transparency, and inclusion. Why have a flag that leaves some people wondering about the intentions of people in the state? Why have a barrier to economic progress? Changing the flag doesn't have to mean somehow having to regress to lowest common denominator.

I think of the very best attributes of places like Dallas, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, Denver, Seattle, etc as a source of inspiration and aspiration. All that said, I thought maybe changing the blue x to a simple blue cross (not the religious cross but rather a secular geometric cross with bars equidistant to the center on all four sides, perhaps symbolizing a couple of key Judeo-Christian values that virtually 100% of the population agrees with) and it will still be beautiful and different enough for modern society.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM

6,510 posts, read 9,004,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The Confederate flag is as much a part of our History and Heritage as the US Flag is today. Your analogy is totally ridiculous and offending. Good AMERICANS died on both sides, and saying it represented NAZI Ideals is insulting to all Citizens. Maybe you should try being an "American" first, before you try to be critic of its people.

Using your "Logic" we should change the American Flag also, after the Bush Administration, because it did not represent American ideals at the time. Its ridiculous. What's next? Banning white bed sheets? Ridiculous.
So by your logic New Englanders should be proud of their heritage from England and they should be waving the British flag in honor of their heritage.

Let's be real here, The Confederacy was a rebellion state, yes there were Americans in it, but they were fighting to keep slavery, an ideal no sound minded person today would willingly represent or fight for. The country lasted for 4 years, and no one today was alive during that war. People wave the flag to show they are small minded and likely racist and most likely have ties to the rural south.

As far as Mississippi's flag goes, it is a state flag, and believe it or not...it is not the entire confederate flag. The flag has been around since 1891.

As previous posters have mentioned the Mississippi government did put to a vote whether people would like a new flag or not in 2000-2001, voters turned it down. If the state flag offends or turns people away then Mississippians want that and whatever business they lose they bring on themselves. I'll say again, it's a state flag, not a representation of the Confederacy, just a reminder that Mississippi was once a part of the Confederacy long ago.

Here is what the proposed new flag for 2001 would have looked like:

Flag of Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi