Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:42 PM

21 posts, read 24,252 times

Advertisements

Of course. I grew up in Brookhaven and inherited the "classical southern" accent (according to the map that was posted earlier, and I do drop my "r"s frequently) and I know that I probably won't be the first callback for an interview if the position I'm applying for includes interaction with people in other states or countries. I'm a redneck by no means and I actually consider myself an articulate Southerner, but a Southerner nonetheless. I have a Master's and two Bachelor's degrees, but that won't stop certain people from assuming something about me when I open my mouth. You just learn to deal with it. Like GrandviewGloria said, it relegates you to one area of the country (and even one area of the South, I live in Arkansas at the moment and catch it for how 'different' I sound) for employment. But hey, there are worse places in the world to be "stuck" in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 24,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em11 View Post
There's a southern accent, and then there's just plain ol' redneck country talk. There's a difference. A southern accent still uses proper English and grammar. A country redneck accent does not. Too many people think southern means country and redneck, but that couldn't be further from the truth. A country/redneck accent can be found all over the United States, but a southern accent is region specific, and even then there are variations state to state.
Very good point. It's sad that Southern is automatically associated with "redneck," but when Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo are the reference points, then it's not a shock that we get the short end of the stick when it comes to assumed intelligence.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I always wondered when the Southern accent became Southern. George Washington was from Virginia but I believe his parents or grandparents came from England, so GW was not too far removed from England. Did George Wahington have a Southern accent? Or an English accent? Or back during his day, did the regions of the country have similar accents or totally different accents? How different was the accents of the Founding Fathers and the accents of Americans today? When did the Americans stop speaking with English accents and devlop Southern and Northeastern accents and the flat accents like guys that report the evening news. It's really too we don't have any recordings of the FF's speaking. A thousand years from now, even 10,000 years from now there will be recrodings and videos of people and life as it is from our era on Earth. I think that would be a cool thing to see.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 05-09-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 11:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I always wondered when the Southern accent became Southern. George Washington was from Virginia but I believe his parents or grandparents came from England, so GW was not too far removed from England. Did George Wahington have a Southern accent? Or an English accent? Or back during his day, did the regions of the country have similar accents or totally different accents? How different was the accents of the Founding Fathers and the accents of Americans today? When did the Americans stop speaking with English accents and devlop Southern and Northeastern accents and the flat accents like guys that report the evening news. It's really too we don't have any recordings of the FF's speaking. A thousand years from now, even 10,000 years from now there will be recrodings and videos of people and life as it is from our era on Earth. I think that would be a cool thing to see.
There are a lot of writings that describe how people sounded such as George Washington. If we combine that with all the writings on the exact pronunciation of words, we can get a pretty good idea of what a person sounded like.

Another place people can look to really understand an accent is the poetry of an era. We can see which words rhyme, which can change with accent. Academic writings combined with poetry can help us understand what even ancient languages like Latin sounded like, as spoken, in Roman times.

Last edited by Neshomamench; 05-09-2015 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi