U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 15,762 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm relocating to Desoto county from Chicago and was curious if anyone has information about who the best builders are. We looked at several homes and have been very impressed so far with the quality especially in comparison to the cheap boxes they put up in the Chicago area. Are there any home builders in the area that stand out? We are thinking the olive branch area. stoneybrook builders seemed to have nice homes. Any positive or negative feedback is much appreciated.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,783 times
I'm not familiar with the homebuilders, but I can point you to several subdivisions in Olive Branch that have some of the nicer homes in the area. Perhaps you could inquire with some homeowners in these subdivisions, including Robinson Crossing, Spring Place, and Belmor Lakes. They are all three in the same general vicinity, which is along College Rd and Church Rd, between Getwell Rd and Hwy 305. ....

There are quite a few others as well, such as Cherokee Valley and Wedgewood Golf Clubs, just south of Goodman Rd between Craft Rd and Pleasant Hill Rd. Frankly there are many more across DeSoto County, mostly south of Goodman Rd and between I-55 and Hwy 78 (going south for many miles)...plus around the town of Hernando on both sides of the interstate, also a lovely area with a traditional town square, good schools, and lovely woods and rolling farmland all around. On the east side of Hwy 78 there are also many nice homes along Center Hill Rd which runs south along the eastern edge of Olive Branch and then curves to the west and runs along the southern edge of Olive Branch (near Center Hill elementary).

Lots of nice areas from which to choose, depending on where your work is, etc. The new interstate I-69 is opening later this year or next year I believe, opening up a huge, highly desirable area to the east of Hernando and to the south of Southaven and Olive Branch. This entire area is on the upswing and has a bright future.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:31 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,063,574 times
We built our house back in 2002 and had a great builder. I won't mention his name since the mods may consider that advertising. But I will mention that we didn't go with one of those "cookie cutter" type builders. The ones where you pick one of 3 plans and you have 3 levels of upgrades to choose from. There are no other houses like ours nor can you get our plans.

Our builder allowed us to choose certain options and one that I think has helped us was spray foam insulation. Our house doesn't have the common Tyvek house wrap. Between each stud is a 1" thick layer of foam followed by a layer of pink insulation. Our attic has the standard blown in insulation that is about 14" thick. With a 4,000+ sf house we have modest utility bills.

The entrance to my subdivision is the closest to Robinson Crossing so I know that area very well. Those are some NICE houses. Each subdivision will have a builder that built most of the houses. I think ours is a little odd because a bunch of builders put up 3 to 5 spec houses at a time. 4 houses across from me went up at the same time all by the same builder.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 PM

Thank you for all the great information. Are there any subdivisions that you know of that give you about 1 acre lots? That's what we are looking for but have had somewhat of a difficult time finding that amount of land. Thanks

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 AM

There are so many areas with large lots all over DeSoto County, although I'm not sure about undeveloped lots. Here are a few spots to look for on google maps and see for yourself. This is to name only a few. Personally I like Hernando because it has a nice town square and careful town planning. But pretty much this entire huge area from Goodman Rd south is all nice, mainly middle class and some upper middle class, and the occasional truly wealthy subdivision.

Whispering Pines Rd, Olive Branch
Dickens Place Drive, Southaven
Robertson Rd at Whitetail Rd, Hernando
Oak Grove Rd, Hernando
Windermere Dr, Southaven
Roman Forest Dr, Olive Branch
Bethel Rd at Gardenwood Dr, Olive Branch
Spring Place at College Rd, Olive Branch
Bethel Rd and Planter's Drive, Olive Branch
Bethel Rd and Ross Rd, Olive Branch
Spring Lakes Blvd at College Rd, Olive Branch
Spring Valley Drive, Olive Branch

Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 PM

Thanks. I think we may have looked at a few of the subdivisions you mentioned. We saw Hernando for the first time last weekend and it did have a beautiful town square. We also liked some of the unincorporated areas of olive branch. We also looked at collierville. It seemed so different, more built up, more trees etc. Some folks we have spoken to in the area including potential employers at my job interviews seem to guide us more to the Tennesss side. We really like the Mississippi side. I wonder why so many people keep telling me to go to the Tennesse side?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 PM

There isn't really a consensus of which side to live on. Collierville and especially Germantown are the two highest-income suburbs and are more established. Desoto County really took off around 10 0r 15 years ago. Germantown and Collierville are pretty much full, whereas DeSoto County is just taking off with tons of room to grow.

Lots of people prefer DeSoto because there is a lot more open space, generally you can get more house for your money, there is more land and more acreage in DeSoto County (versus Germantown and Collierville having big houses that are often close together), there are good schools in DeSoto, it's safe, and you are completely out of Shelby County which has its good areas and bad areas but overall Memphis/Shelby County is covered over in crime and has an inept city council and terrible school system etc.

By comparison DeSoto County is extremely safe and mostly well-run like typical new suburbs usually are. Historically most wealthier people in Memphis have lived in East Memphis and Germantown and many are simply unaware of all the new growth in DeSoto County are often surprised to find how much it has grown. There also isn't much room left to grow in Germantown and Collierville and most of the rest of Shelby County is reserved for the city of Memphis, and consequently about 60% of all the growth in the Memphis metro area since about 2000 has been in DeSoto County.

A new interstate (I-69) is opening soon in DeSoto County (running just north of Hernando for about 20 miles connecting I-55 and Hwy 78 which is being renamed I-22....and ultimately in TN connecting with the other part of the interstate loop that runs just east of Collierville all the way up to I-40 and beyond). I think this area along the new interstate (northern and eastern edge of Hernando, southern edge of Southaven and unincorporated Olive Branch (also known as Lewisburg as exemplified by the shiny new Lewisburg schools which sit right next to the new interstate) will definitely be the hottest new growth area in the entire Memphis metro region over the next 25 years or so).

I think my favorite spots in DeSoto County are just east of Hernando along Jaybird Rd and Getwell Rd roughly between Byhalia Rd and Holly Springs Rd...and just west and southwest of Hernando's town square such as along Oak Grove Rd and areas beyond to the south and west. There is so much nice open space with rolling land, trees, and farms, but with new homes and subdivisions beginning to dot the area. And Hernando is charming and well planned.

I also like the College Rd and Church Rd areas, such as where the Belmor Lakes subdivision is (looks kind of like Collierville though actually with the big houses etc), and further south towards Lewisburg schools (e.g. Bethel Rd), and also along Pleasant Hill Rd such as near the Bridgetown area with its own lake and nice wooded residential areas.

In Memphis, downtown on Mud Island is great, Midtown near the zoo and Rhodes College is a great historic area, and Germantown right near the center of town (near Apple store, Brooks Brothers) is very nice. If you're not familiar with Memphis, a simple way to look at it is that almost all the wealthier and nicer parts of town are more or less within a mile or so on either side of Poplar Avenue, going some 25 miles east starting downtown at the Mississippi River and going all the way to Collierville.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks again for all the information brick patio. You seem to have a genuine love for the area which is comforting. My wife and I really love the area and are excited to move in July. Coming from Chicago it seems so peaceful and relaxed even though it's probably a busy area by Mississippi standards. Even Goodman road is nothing compared to the traffic we have here. Many of the places you mentioned are in Hernando and olive branch. We did see some houses we like in south Southhaven but do you recommend staying out of Southhaven bc of the growth?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

I think the area running roughly along Church Rd, which runs east and west all the way from I-55 to Hwy 78...and...everything in the county south from there, is all about equal in terms of quality and general affluence and growth.

That would include the southern parts of Olive Branch and Southaven, as well as Hernando. That whole area is pretty much equal. Actually as you go west from I-55 along College Rd towards the Delta, you get into an area of rolling terrain and homes on very large lots. This area is several miles south of Horn Lake and slightly north of Hernando. This is a nice area for a "big spread", i.e. if you wanted to buy a home on 10 acres, for example. Otherwise for regular neighborhoods include those with large lots, the entire area is equal in my opinion.

One place to look, in case I didn't highlight it very much is the neighborhood in Hernando off Robertson Rd, (called Whitetail Dr. and Crockett Loop), which is immediately south of I-69 and just west of I-55, where the two interstates meet. I don't know if you've been there already, but that one stands out to me based on your description. As I recall, those are huge, mostly heavily wooded lots (at least 3 to 5 acres I would guess) with new homes. And it's a fairly large area. It's also a great location close to Hernando's town square and convenient to the interstate. Also in Hernando just east of I-55, look for the neighborhood with White Oak Drive and Hickory Ridge Dr, just off Byhalia Rd. This neighborhood has large homes and has a very established feel to it, and again great location.

In the southern part of Southaven, the whole area along Getwell Rd is good, basically in the vicinity of the Snowden Grove Amphitheater and DeSoto Central High School. I would consider this more or less the heart of the county in terms of new growth and prosperity. Look for a shopping center at the intersection of Getwell and Nail Rd, which I believe is called Southaven Town Center, which has a number of very nice restaurants and is charming with traditional architecture. Overall I would consider this area the classic American suburb in terms of overall feel. The Olive Branch area, particular on the west side of Hwy 78, I would consider the same. And Hernando mainly would be different in that it's a real town with a town square and more careful city planning, i.e. less commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or