U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:26 AM

252 posts, read 268,401 times

Advertisements

There are 18000 students at miss state. Nothing to do?

Starkvegas appears to have quite a bit for a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Is he from Mississippi? I would not attend there if you are not. It is kind of insular, would be too expensive at out of state sticker, and the degree is mostly going to limit you to the surrounding area.

If he is, and especially if he wants to do engineering, it would be a fine pick as long as he is okay working in Mississippi (and in particular Jackson), Birmingham, Louisiana, or maybe Memphis. I also agree with kilgore on applied sciences vs. humanities.

Starkville is last on all the SEC lists as college towns for a reason, though.
Those lists favor schools with Greek revival architecture and more bars

Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Ole Miss put metal roofs on a buch of their buildings, not a good look (IMO).
I agree and I don't care for all the Greek columns

Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
There are 18000 students at miss state. Nothing to do?
Starkvegas appears to have quite a bit for a small town.
Starkville has a population of about 25,000 while MSU has about 20,000 students. The University totally dominates the town, and is by far the largest employer. I came from a tiny Mississippi town so I never understood the "nothing to do" whines. We drove to towns like Starkville to find something to do.

But then you compare "Starkvegas" with schools like the nearby University of Alabama (Tuscalousa, pop. 200,000+ in the area, plus near a million in nearby Birmingham) or Univ. of Tenn-Knoxville (over a million) or Univ of S. Carolina (Columbia, pop. half million) and you see the point. Yes, Starkville has "quite a bit for a small town", but there is no comparing the entertainment venues of Starkville with the offerings to be found in Birmingham or Knoxville.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:32 PM

what can you do in Birmingham and Knoxville other than go to a big mall? The Smokies are not right next to the Knoxville campus and probably majority of those students never go to the mountains.

There are more restaurants and stores no doubt but as far as things to do, I don't think it is true that there is more to do in Knoxville or Birmingham than a city with 20000 people your age nearby.

Universities have countless social gatherings, festivals, clubs, intramural sports, etc. Not to mention the academic part of it.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,065 times
What can you do in a big city? Amusement parks. Go-carts. Laser tag. Water parks. Paintball. Large lakes for water sports. More than one movie theater. More than one live theater with multiple acting companies. Hiking trails/greenways. Large social gatherings every day instead of every other weekend. Concerts every weekend instead of every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or